Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

R/T MDS

Old 10-02-2008, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/T MDS

I know I saw this question posted here or another forum but can't find it

I've yet seen my "FUEL SAVER" light up in my MPG section.
I've been on the highway a few times coasting along.
Does it not start kicking in till a certain mile mark. I just got past the break in 500 mile mark

anyone know?

Thx!
Old 10-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: R/T MDS

My thoughts are try driving on a real flat highway and keep on letting off on the throttle and see if the light comes on.

With MDS, you have to use the right engine oil specified by Dodge.

Let me know how that works. Also I am wondering if nobody has been able to see how the Zoomers work with MDS since nobody seems to be able to turn on MDS.

I hope the Zoomers still sound good as not all exhaust systems are compatible nor sound good when MDS engages.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:29 PM

I own an 09'Challenger R/T w/ Zoomers since September 10th. I already ran 1350-miles with a road-trip to Nevada last Saturday.

Not sure if those who bought the, "Electronics Convenience Group package" with the Vehicle Information Center (VIC) display anything either; also there is no mention of the MDS function being displayed on the VIC in the car manual either. From my experience and road trip the MDS comes on if you are cruising at a constant speed, no matter if its 10,20,35, 55, 65, 75, and or +100 MPH. If you are at a constant speed for awhile the MDS will engage automaticly. You can actually hear the displacement take place from 8-to-4 cylinders and then back to 4-to-8 cylinders when you demand more ponies. The displacement is noticed more from the tone of the engine at higher (+55 MPH) cruising speeds. On my road trip to Nevada I was traveling at 70-85 MPH when I remained constant at 70 MPH the MDS engaged and stood "on" until I demanded lots more ponies to pass slow vehicles. I also noticed that my 5.7L Hemi loves 70-75 MPH, you remain constant and in cruise mode. Also Zoomers exhaust notes do not change with MDS engaged; unless you demand alot more ponies the MDS disengages and the hot rod loud rumble arrive as seen on the video below. True with any exhaust. When at constant cruising speeds of 70-75 MPH you just hear the rumble of the twin exhaust.

Metal's 09' Challenger R/T - with Zoomers exhaust
Old 10-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

TRW762X51mm, thanks for validating that. Zoomers must have designed it to work with MDS. Good to hear especially since so many people seemed to have purchase them for the R/T.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:26 PM

I posted this question when I got my 2009 R/T on this forum. No one has been able to answer this question.

The owners manual (page 110) talks about the "fuel savings" message coming on (above the average MPG line in the information screen) whenever the engine goes into the MDS mode.

I have NEVER seen this "fuel savings" message come on regardless of how steady I drive the car at a constant speed.

I have not been able to determine when the engine is switching off 4 cylinders. It is a very smooth transition that I can not detect.

All I know, is thus far when I drive my car in a passive manner, the engine returns about 18 MPG. I am guessing that the MDS is kicking in and therefore the mileage is decent.

When I drive agressively (who can resist?) the engine returns only 13 MPG.

I have not taken a long highway trip with a steady 70-75 MPH speed; but I hope that it gives me at least 20 MPG.

I have asked the dealer and the zone technical office why the "fuel savings" message does not come on. Thus far, no one can explain this.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:50 PM

the mileage will be there on trips...
I could get 20mpg if I wanted but my brain says 8 or 7 its all good....
You will want Goodyear stock as I will continue to shred their tires.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:39 PM

73Challenger,

Yea, I've been looking for that Display also on the VIC.
I reset my MPG and got 26.6mpg going into Hollywood (really flat trip) the other day on the Freeway at night but never saw the "Fuel Saving Mode" display come on like the manual says is supposed to show.
Anyone see that message pop up on their VIC?
I'm not hearing any motor tone change either but I'm still running the stock exhaust.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:34 AM

I haven't seen the fuel saving message either. 946 miles. Why is the website Soooo sloooow?
Old 10-03-2008, 12:17 PM

ORIGINAL: 05flhtcse

I haven't seen the fuel saving message either. 946 miles. Why is the website Soooo sloooow?
Someone mentioned in another thread that it has/had a virus. I'm kinda wondering if that's not true, because I picked up one two days ago that appears to be, at least in my case, a Windows XP downoad. I thought it was odd that suddenly a Windows update was waiting for me, since I hadn't downloaded anything. Pretty soon, my computer is virtually locked up. Fortunately, the Trend anti-virus program quarantined whatever it was and everything is OK now.