Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Rear windows roll down?

Old 02-25-2008, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear windows roll down?

I remember my '70 SS Chevelle, with all four windows rolled down in the summer. Without the B pillar in the way, it had a very cool look in profile. Can anyone verify if the rear windows retract on the Challenger? It's not a deal breaker for me, just curious.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:16 PM

Default RE: Rear windows roll down?

Great question, and one I have been wondering about as well. By the looks of the back windows I would say they do not roll down but are a fixed pain... err, I mean pane...

[IMG]local://upfiles/748/A5833F1054704200BC91B8A9DC901AB2.jpg[/IMG]

They seem to have a huge black border around them as well to hide the B-pillar. [:'(]
Old 02-25-2008, 06:52 PM

sorry to report there were only 2 window buttons in the cars at Chicago..
Old 02-26-2008, 01:19 AM

Great. Yet another car with power windows. The absolute WORST thing EVER put on cars. They shoulda given up on them back in the '50s. They didn't work that well then and STILL don't.

In all seriousness, I almost bought a Ford ZX2 several years ago because I happened to see one on a car lot and that it had window cranks. I don't know how much money I've spent over the years repairing power windows.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:58 AM

Gotta respectfully disagree with ya on that one, Roswell. Unless I'm buying an old classic, there's no way I'd buy a new car without them - guess I've just gotten spoiled on them. Even my 78 Formula has them (and they still work, amazingly enough). Yes they can give you problems on rare occasion, but hey - I've had window cranks break off in my hands too.

Guess I feel if I'm paying good money for a new car, and at my age (the tender age of 40), I'll be damned if I'm gonna crank my own windows
Old 02-26-2008, 05:38 AM

Would love to have the back windows go down, but it looks like meeting safety requirements made those panes fixed - I'll live with it.

Here's my 2 cents.

Crank windows had their time and still fitting in some classics to keep them stock.

I know most of us have had engine starter problems (starter motor, solenoid, battery, cables, etc.) at some point in our life, does that mean we should go back to the good old days of crank start motors (grandpappy liked to crank his engine over)

Crank windows are a source of probelms such as rattling and all the issues we create by stressing the regulator since we can't crank perfectly symmetric around the input shaft. The electric motor can drive much more consistently. Yes the components do break, but once repaired/replaced usually good as new, not an ever increasing rattle or potential glass misalignment.

Power windows, door locks and the such make our lives easier (are we lazy?) and many times safer (leaning over to crank open a passenger window while driving, stretching accross the entire front of a car to push up the unlock knob.)

I use my remotes to unlock my (newer) cars and I can't remember the last time I had to put a key in one of these door locks (or risk scratches near the key hole) - yes I do replace batteries in my remotes too. I can't wait for push button start - even less sctratches in the car.

Hope I didn't offend anyone, but look at the more rattless car built over the past 50 years - they probably had power equipment in the design.

Eric
Old 02-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

I agree. I used to think who needs such decadent luxury, but since they came with my latest car, and have been in my wife's, I've acclimated to a nice convenience.

Also, when the motors fail, they're really not that difficult to replace. Of course, if they fail down, and it's raining or gonna...well, Roswell's got a point their. Discreet over-ride portals that disengage the pinions of the electric motor and allow for manual crank that resides in the glove box. They're ya go.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:59 PM

I've not had any problems with power windows. I wouldn't be against a manual one on the drivers side, but being able to put down all the windows while driving is just too useful. I'm constantly adjusting the windows based on the temperature, how fast I'm going, etc.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

The only power window problem I had was with a 1990 Dodge minivan and I used to have to replace the nylon track all of the time.

These days these power windows are very reliable.

In case you pull a Jason Bourne maneuver, be sure to have a hammer handy to bust your electric window while underwater so you can get out.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:46 PM

Default challenger wss t/a?

anybody ever heard of a western sport special T/A ? A guy has one for sale on ebay. Its listed as having a 383, but T/A's were
all 340 six packs.A friend of mine has a '70 WSS 318 w/factory air.

Quick Reply: Rear windows roll down?