Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   Salesmen got mad... (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/salesmen-got-mad-3633/)

robman1969 06-28-2008 07:18 PM

Salesmen got mad...

This is the actual email I got from a Ford dealer when I explained I went with the Challenger...

Hi Robert,
I'm very very sorry to hear that> as the Challenger doesn't hold a stick to the Shelby investment wise and or resale value the Shelby is actually an investment because you'll get your money out of it it is a collectors car (if Shelby croked tomorrow the vehicle would tripple in value) and from the ground up is 90% race car, but I can't tell how to spend your money. On any race track or road any day of the week the Shelby GT 500 will blow it off the road hands down. Dodge vehicles in this day and age are known for there terrible resale value this will be no difference I know I've been hear for 14 years. Sorry I couldn't earn your business, but I couldn't even consider matching a price on a vehicle that is now where near the caliber of the Shelby GT 500 it's a SHELBY Sir.

But its not a Shelby is it... It's an SVT !

Yankee 06-28-2008 07:37 PM

RE: Salesmen got mad...

I'd be forwarding a copy of that letter to the general manager of that dealership (unless he wrote it himself). First off, anyone who buys a new car (even a Challenger) strictly for investment purposes is a prized IDIOT, so short of this clown having a crystal ball to see into the future, he has no real idea of the "future investment" potential of a Shelby (or SVT) - or a Challenger, for that matter.

What they're counting on is saps with alot more dollars than sense (which, unfortunately, there are many). And if that's the real letter that this arse clown wrote to you, tell him he needs a quick lesson in hooked on phonics - PRONTO! I've seen better spelling and grammar from my 7 year old nephew. :eek:

Justinec101 06-28-2008 08:05 PM

"if Shelby croked tomorrow the vehicle would tripple in value"

It's a car not a Van Gogh.

Overpowered 06-28-2008 08:58 PM

Is tripple a multiplier or supposed to be cripple?

Incredible a dealer would write this.

Maybe I'll buy one from him and have him have him & his dealership guarantee (in writing, gramatically correct) the triple effect for when Carrol Shelby joins the big racetrack in heaven.

Boy this crystal ball reader needs some glasses.

INCREDIBLE!!

Eric

1971cuda convert 06-28-2008 09:05 PM

They must have a dump truck to haul that crap around in thats DEEP .

Andre@Edge 06-28-2008 11:31 PM

Why would he even waist his time with a reply. The shelby must just sell itself while he sits and collects the money. After all it is a SHELBY sir. rofl

mopar4me2 06-29-2008 01:46 AM

maybe he should bring his shelby out to cruise night when i show up with my challenger and see who draws the biggest crowd. then when we leave i can show him the tailights in front of everyone. that might make a better impression:D

04RAMSRT10 06-29-2008 02:02 AM

This fellow is not very busy, GT 500's and other Fords must not be moving at his dealership. A true salesman says thank you when he misses a sale and goesto the next customer.

brucer41 06-29-2008 04:34 AM

I would hope this letter came to you on craft paper written with a crayon! Lord almighty what is this world coming to when a person cannot spell properly even with a computer? It's a no wonder why Ford sales are so far down they have to stop their production lines. With idiots like this selling their cars its a wonder they are making any money at all. As for "Rare" there is a Ford dealer close to where I live that has several Shelby's and Rousch's just sitting and they have been for a few months now. However, go by a Chrysler dealer and not only can you not see a Challenger but even trying to get one is near impossible. So, case in point, keep your Mustangs no matter what you call them, I will be extremely happy to ride past that dealer in my Challenger and probably still see those same cars sitting.

my challenger 06-29-2008 12:44 PM

ok...here is the truth,yes,because the Challenger is brand new,it has a greater wow factor. Shelby's depreciate just like any other car will. My 2007 GT500 is prob only worth 38 K now,paid over 56k ..The Challenger will do the same,maybe quicker. The Challenger is no way as quick as the GT500..A very good driver can turn 12.2s@114-118 in a bone stock Gt500 . that is a fact. 11's with sticky tires. The Challenger is going to be in the low 13 sec range..so i don't think your tail lights will be seen by a Gt500 driver

ORIGINAL: mopar4me2

maybe he should bring his shelby out to cruise night when i show up with my challenger and see who draws the biggest crowd. then when we leave i can show him the tailights in front of everyone. that might make a better impression:D

kevin2323 06-29-2008 12:48 PM

12.2s bone stock? not in anyones wildest dreams... i have much respect for the gt500 but not that much.

my challenger 06-29-2008 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: kevin2323

12.2s bone stock? not in anyones wildest dreams... i have much respect for the gt500 but not that much.
Yes...ck out mustang 5.0 magazine..many others..I am on SVTperfomace.com. Lots of guys have done 12.1-12.5 in stock GT500.
My First run in mine was a 12.6 ,but now I have a Kenne bell on it,and runs in 128mph range.
http://www.netwalk.com/~hedo/fordshow.jpg

kevin2323 06-29-2008 01:03 PM

sorry did some more research and yes with a really good driver it can hit 12.2... but the average times seem to be 12.8-13.4 and im guessing a stick challenger with a really good driver will get in the 12.4 or lower range without a blower. but as i said before i have much respect for the gt500 i just wish they didnt have to go to a blower to get the 500hp:([:@]

my challenger 06-29-2008 01:05 PM

Check this out...this will give you an idea of a GT500's power

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShE-77U2VGI

kevin2323 06-29-2008 01:09 PM

trust me i know wat a best this car is i just hate the fact that the engineers decided just to put a blower on it to get the extra power. the supercharged challengers are pulling 600-700 hp which is gonna be sweeettttt even the N/A stroked ones are pullin 60 horses i cant wait!!!!!!!!!!

my challenger 06-29-2008 01:14 PM

there is nothing wrong with putting a blower on a engine,infact,Chrysler has been putting tubos on cars for over 20 yrs. The ford engine is a 5.4,compared to the hemi 6.1 it's a high efficiency 4 valve set up. guys are getting over 1200 hp with stock blocks. Great engine. Yeah,u need 92 octaine,but it's worth the fun..

robman1969 06-29-2008 01:23 PM

This is fine debate and all but the real reason I personally went with the Chally is for a bigger back seat. For shear speed I would have started with the GT as it is a lighter car to begin with. But I can only get one toy past the wife and if the kids (3 and 5... hello car seats) can't go the car is a no go. That said the back seat in the stang is only there for insurance reasons :)

kevin2323 06-29-2008 01:25 PM

yea but not on muscle cars they put it on 4 bangers lately.... true muscle has always been N/A and big engines. Ford couldve put more money into developing and producing that 6.2l they just shelved and i would be driving one right now probably. in my opinion putting a blower on a 5.4 to get it to 500hp and then calling shebly up and saying hey we have the same hp as your old gt500 except with a blower can we use your name on it?

i love the gt500 but imo the blower thing tics me off a little. nonetheless the car is amazing im not going to sit here and argue that.

BootCamp 06-29-2008 03:49 PM

The salesman in the original post is clearly desperate. Shelbys arent bringing the floor traffic and money they did when new. What this guys lacks in writing skills.......he makes up for in pomposity. Hes obviously hurting for comissions, but how hes going to make them up in turning off potential customers for future sales is beyond me.

As far as the Challenger / Shelby debate, straight line acceleration, the Shelby wins. Speaking conservatively, 12.5 in the Shelby with a fair driver, 12.9 in the Challenger SRT with the 6 speed transmission and a good driver - whos made a few passes and knows the shift points.
With that said, the Challenger IS a four passenger car where the Shelby should be listed as a 2+2.
The Shelby has a pressure cooker and the Challenger has more cubes.
Theyre different types of cars, guys. Always were and always will be as far as Im concerned. Youre comparing apples and oranges.

Now if you want to compare "potential" and "cost", the Challenger has it all over the Shelby since thats been twisted to the teeth already. What more can you do to it without taking parts off/out? The Challenger is like a "primed canvas" just waiting for an artist to "express himself".
2007 Shelby - $56K.
2009 Challenger SRT - $45K
Imagine how much you can do to the Challenger with the $11K difference. If you put a supercharger on the Challenger and upgrade the rear shafts to handle the 600 rwhp, youd still have $3K left over to buy your wife something nice and keep her from looking at the checkbook register.
;)

my challenger 06-29-2008 06:42 PM

I believe the MSRP of 08 GT500 is in the 46k range...The ADM's on Shelby's should be a thing of the past. So,the prices are within 2-3k of each other..

kevin2323 06-29-2008 07:52 PM

challenger is getting 13.0 with auto trans. so i expect with manual itll do alot better than 12.9

MrKrisSullivan 06-29-2008 08:38 PM

All I can say is wow to that video.... I mean come on you guy's saw that thing from about 40-80!!!! Holy Moly dude that was sick.
For everyone that whines about the Shelby haveing a blower get over it!!! Please!!!
I agree with BootCamp The Challenger is a blank canvas waiting for somone to paint on it. Just put your own s/c on it and say buh-bye;)

kevin2323 06-29-2008 08:51 PM

mkr look at the 1st page of comments he put 140 horses on it to do that.... means he had 640hp pretty sick either way but its not stock/[:@]

DiamDave 06-30-2008 05:22 AM

What knda BS video was that. A shot of a speedo with no exterior noise change over 80 mph? Shoot another one showing inside and out. With this one you could have had a speedo sitting on a bench for all I know. Oh, and what car is it supposed to be in? Cant tell that either.

Sorry, not impressive at all

lear4406 06-30-2008 06:49 AM

As a living breathing product of the muscle car era... I for one continue to put Ford down because they bolted a supercharger on it rather than invest more engineering into their V-8s. That said I never said the GT-500 was'nt a great ride. I have also stated that being from the era of muscle cars where you had similar arguments about CID and rear gears you can't really put 2 disimilar vehicles side by side and say " there you go". I did'nt like the Challenger SRT-8 and Bullit Mustang comparo because it was unfair to the Mustang. I feel that we will all get a better idea of the SRT-8 with the intro of the 6-speed. This debate will go on and only get better when the Camaro gets to town. I can't wait:D But my moneys on the Challenger always has been always will be no matter how it gets tossed around. I'm a Mopar guy and I'll always be one. When reading my post know this and that I am biased towards that fact. But again I'm on a Challenger forum and that helps;)

MrKrisSullivan 06-30-2008 08:15 AM

I guess I didn't notice that was the same cobra with upgrades.
I thought that was somebody elses??? Not the guy's on this forum.
Im not an old guy but I can definatly hear exterior noise. DIAMDAV??

my challenger 06-30-2008 01:52 PM

It's not my car in the video...but my car is fast for sure..I do have a challenger,so it's easy for me to make direct comparisons. Those who haven't drove the GT500,can't have a good prospective to jugde from. Don't get me wrong,I like my challenger,especially the styling. Time will tell which car comes out on top!

tdub2112 06-30-2008 04:26 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: my challenger

The Challenger will do the same,maybe quicker.

ORIGINAL: mopar4me2

I kinda hope that will happen.:D
Then maybe "the checkbook", aka my dad, will agree more.:D

DSkippy 06-30-2008 06:07 PM

My Challenger, I would just say that the Challenger represents a blank check for Chrysler. If they ever want to smoke the GT500, they offer a factory installed blower, and it's academic. Granted, for now, they have not felt compelled. However, should they ever get the urge, it's cake walk.

Still, for now, GT is the stock car to beat. I can't imagine the last hoorah of the Challenger will be the Mustang killer in a battle for the legacy of the last v8 mucle car.

Additionally, how long will naturally aspirated Challenger will serve well compared to forced Compression Mustang.

08Chally500 07-01-2008 09:26 AM

I would rather own a Rare, Limited Edition, High Quality car like the Challenger, than a one of a million Mustangs out there anyday.

kevin2323 07-01-2008 11:30 AM

in the mustangs defense the gt500 is more rare than the challenger lol. also i can distinctly tell the differnece between a gt500 and a gt mustang on the road.

mjorgensen 07-31-2008 05:16 PM

A few observations from this thread.

The salesman in the beginning is unbelieveable, his skills in customer service really shine through and I don't see the issue....
OK that's not true

The fact is there is not a car made today that will be a true collectible down the road. With all the cheap plastic and electronics I doubt anyone is seriously buying to collect. Some may but I bet there are more effective ways to plan for the future. Cars should be fun in this type of vehicle and you should enjoy them now.

600 plus rear wheel hp on a Challenger? Not for long since the reliability of the short block is about maxed at 550 CRANK hp. The Mustang was built for boost so it will live at the high pressure and aftermarket boost. If you really want to be fast add some power and subtract a lot of weight. Then the GT will be no problem.