Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Sema Challenger S/S Pics, Movies and more

Old 10-31-2006, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sema Challenger S/S Pics, Movies and more

If you don't think the 392(from now on Im talking cubic inches) will be offered in the Challenger, YOU NEED YOUR HEAD EXAMINED!
Old 10-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: wallstreetman

If you don't think the 392(from now on Im talking cubic inches) will be offered in the Challenger, YOU NEED YOUR HEAD EXAMINED!
It might not be a matter of if I will need it, it might be more a case of if it can be offered. As I have said before, from what I have read the 370 (6.1L) was having enough trouble passing emission regulations in its 69.7 hp per liter set up (or 1.15 hp per cubic), increasing the hp that much for such a small displacement boost will make it even more a challenge to pass the emission regulation tests. Also as Patrick explained, they might be a little uneasy about adding an engine that will not be too far behind the Viper.

I think they should offer it if they can, they just might need to increase the displacement to get this kind of power out of it and they might have to make the upcoming Viper even more powerful than they originally intended to do so.

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada
not to seem skeptical, but are there any sources more official than lxforums and autoblog? who presented that car at SEMA? mopar?
A good observation. I've looked around some more but it seems as though it is hard to come up with a more official source. I hope it is true though.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Administrator

and if you think that DCX is going to offer a vehicle with viper-like horsepower for half the viper price, you need to have a reality check.

unlike many people who will run off to read these nonsensical articles about how the challenger is going to have a 6.4 or 7.1 liter engine. and believe that crap, i have experience in the automotive industry, and i dont buy into useless rumors.

the 392 crate motor boasts 500ish hp, depending on what type of aspiration you chose. the viper has 505hp and costs 85,000 USD. the challenger is supposed to costs 30-50 grand, and if you honestly think that dodge is going to offer a car with 5 less horsepower for 35-55 grand less, youre insane. putting the 505hp 392 in any car, based on similarly powered vehicles and dodges current pricing setup, charging 35-43 grand for a 425hp car, and 85 grand for a 505hp car, the price of the challenger with the 392 would be ridiculous...youre being hopeful, im being realistic.

ive still found NOTHING to back up this article from autoblog. nothing about this on firehouse or DCXM.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:06 PM

Here are some detail pictures in a thread over on Moparts... Hank says he will try to do others that are requested... nice guy!

XS

Moparts thread: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...=0#Post3031343
Old 10-31-2006, 10:59 PM

Huh, I wonder why the 426 Hemi was offered, it was only about 30% more money than a 440 Wedge!
Old 11-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Administrator

i wouldnt call 30% an unreasonable amount (in dodges eyes) to compete with the viper...that would make a 45,000 car almost 60 grand...also, if the viper wasnt selling so poorly, dodge would be more willing to offer a car with close numbers and a smaller price, but there are still vipers sitting in lots, waiting for a home.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:44 AM

and if you think that DCX is going to offer a vehicle with viper-like horsepower for half the viper price, you need to have a reality check.

unlike many people who will run off to read these nonsensical articles about how the challenger is going to have a 6.4 or 7.1 liter engine. and believe that crap, i have experience in the automotive industry, and i dont buy into useless rumors.

the 392 crate motor boasts 500ish hp, depending on what type of aspiration you chose. the viper has 505hp and costs 85,000 USD. the challenger is supposed to costs 30-50 grand, and if you honestly think that dodge is going to offer a car with 5 less horsepower for 35-55 grand less, youre insane. putting the 505hp 392 in any car, based on similarly powered vehicles and dodges current pricing setup, charging 35-43 grand for a 425hp car, and 85 grand for a 505hp car, the price of the challenger with the 392 would be ridiculous...youre being hopeful, im being realistic.

ive still found NOTHING to back up this article from autoblog. nothing about this on firehouse or DCXM.

and being realistic is comparing a v10/505hp car to a v8/"500ish" hp car? One engine is hand built (no warranty) the other is not. hence the way higher price tag, plus it's serialized. Not only that but why are you comparing a sports car to a performance car? I'm in your boat about the not trusting rumors part. Then again considering the gt500 was made i'd say the challenger s/s has a pretty damn good chance of being offered at that price. It doesn't matter that the gt500 is factory supercharged it's the point it's rated at 500"BHP" and all car makes tend to play "one uppy" with displacement or hp. Even if the 392 s/s is offered it wouldn't matter if it had 200 more hp than a viper... a viper is still rarer and holds it's value. the new challenger if it's a v6,r/t,srt8,s/s it's going to depreciate by a lot as soon as you drive out of the dealership.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Administrator

alright then...can any of you provide me an instance, throughout the entire history of the automobile, where a company has offered a vehicle in a class even remotely similar to their flagship performance model, while still keeping a large gap in price?

hell, GM found that people were leaning too much toward the f-bodies and away from the corvettes, since the camaro and firebird offered similar performance (sharing the exact same engine and transmission as the corvettes). while the camaro and firebird had a lower advertised horsepower rating, it is very common knowledge that the SS and WS6 models dyno about the same thing as the corvette from the similar years. granted, the vette has the "Vette allure" and will handle better, which is what you are illuding to with the comment about the viper being a sports car, and in a different class, but the bottom line is that the viper sells poorly enough, and until the viper gets the possible 8.4L engine and a bigger hp rating to keep abreast with the Z06, DCX isnt going to risk underselling the viper with the challenger. its pretty obvious that this isnt the 1960s, and dodge isnt looking to offer loyal dodge fans any bargains.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:50 AM

KILLJOY! I thought Dr Z was going to deliver me one of these in person and hand me the keys! DAMN IT ALL! PAT, you have bursted my bubble! Hey fellas lighten up!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:06 AM

alright then...can any of you provide me an instance, throughout the entire history of the automobile, where a company has offered a vehicle in a class even remotely similar to their flagship performance model, while still keeping a large gap in price?

hell, GM found that people were leaning too much toward the f-bodies and away from the corvettes, since the camaro and firebird offered similar performance (sharing the exact same engine and transmission as the corvettes). while the camaro and firebird had a lower advertised horsepower rating, it is very common knowledge that the SS and WS6 models dyno about the same thing as the corvette from the similar years. granted, the vette has the "Vette allure" and will handle better, which is what you are illuding to with the comment about the viper being a sports car, and in a different class, but the bottom line is that the viper sells poorly enough, and until the viper gets the possible 8.4L engine and a bigger hp rating to keep abreast with the Z06, DCX isnt going to risk underselling the viper with the challenger. its pretty obvious that this isnt the 1960s, and dodge isnt looking to offer loyal dodge fans any bargains.
that comment was made because you can't compare the two. yes the viper does sell poorly the main reason is because no warranty.. Even if they do go to the possible 8.4L around the same time or a little later the infamous "bluedevil, or z07" (supercharged 6.2L) will come out. They'll both share similar prices 100k+ but it's already been said if the new z does come out it will come with a warranty... a possible 9 second car right out of the box is kinda impressive the 100k price tag is crazy but the mind blowing part is the warranty.... if the viper came with a warranty i can guarantee sales would increase, that's just common sense. The only reason it doesn't come with one is because the engine is hand built, and if it did it would still hold it's value just like the corvette because a v6 model isn't and won't ever be offered for the two. dodge isn't underselling anything when you take into account that they always out do themselves every 4 years or so it seems. IMHO i'd worry about increasing sales via possibly warranty before i worried about putting out a viper with .4 more liters.. that's just me though.

Quick Reply: Sema Challenger S/S Pics, Movies and more