Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Sorry Mopar, This Challenger lacks "It"

Old 02-07-2008, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sorry Mopar, This Challenger lacks "It"

I've heard a lot of variations on the upcoming R/T's output...340, 350, 380HP...what gives? Any idea which (if any) will be correct?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:00 AM

-same motor
-same chasis
-same suspension (for the most part)
-same transmission

...as the Charger

I'm just wondering why it took Dodge two plus years to de-tune the suspension; apply carbon fiber hood stripes; remove the rear doors from the Charger; shorten the wheel base 4 inches and re-brand this thing as a Challenger. Can any engineering wizards at Chrysler maybe help answer that for me? After all - I don't think it took Blue Oval that long to do the ole switch-a-roo with the Ford Tauraus to the Ford 500 and then back to the Taurus again, did it?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:01 AM

It would stand to reason that they would use the variable timing 380 hp Hemi(from the new ram trucks)-I had read that was the reason the Challenger R/T had not come out first-the motor wasn't ready yet- I also read that the 380 horse motor would have MDS with the automatic, but not with the 6 speed...[X(]
Old 02-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

The GT500 still looks better (like there's even a question when it comes to interior???) and it's faster. 4.6 vs "low-5's".
Really? Yet another Mustang in a see of Mustangs? I personally like the Challenger better, but I'm a Mopar enthusiast. Even if I weren't, however, I'd probably still like it because it's not the same thing that's been on the scene for 4 years....OK for 2008 more powerful, might as well slap "New and Improved on the Mustang windshield while you're at".

I'd say the YAWN, should be a YAM.....Yet Another Mustang......and again, Albeeno, check it out in person or look at some the pix Mirada posted in the "Anyone else make it to Philly"...it's much more impressive up close and personal.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Oh, wait Albeeno, NOW I SEE (in the picture you posted) ....that's a radical looking Mustang that CAN certainly be confused with many others from the back....we get it Ford, you like making Mustangs.

My point is you're slamming Chrysler for maximizing profit by utilizing an already developed platform and producing another body type on it and giving Kudos to Ford, for a differnt hood, grill and a hopped up engine, then you're argument is weak at best.

If you're just saying the GT500 can out perform it, then, numbers don't lie and there's validity in it.

At the end of the day, after market can make any car out perform any other, but bragging rights for sheer performance (or at least 0-60 acceleration) might got to the 500, but that isn't the only selling point. And if you were to play that game, top speed?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:49 AM

Based on what Albeeno said, Dodge did the smartest thing-utilize a proven motor/transmission package, suspension parts, etc to build a new car that will predictably work and work well! I guess they could have tried sticking an inline 6 from a BMW in it to be different and show off a variety of engineering feats, but I think most Challenger buyers are going to buy this car based on a rock solid proven drivetrain, looks, and expected performance...besides, back in 1969 when the first E-bodies came out, they were built utilizing the chassis/suspension/drivetrains of the larger B-body Mopars...it worked then, and it will work now! It's the KISS method, utilizing what you have at hands for guaranteed results!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:13 AM

CORRECTION its 0-60 in 4.9 for the challenger(which is probably underated like the charger srt8) and 4.6 for the SUPERCHARGED 4.7 ford engine which your basically paying 20k for a supercharger since the lowest gt500s go for is 60k .... once i drop only 5-7k into my challenger it will be 15k less than the gt500 and will destroy it completely. and since when does anyone that is a supposed mopar loyalist or fan look into the interior of a muscle car..... back in the day the american muscle car interiors sucked and they suck now too but they are better then back in the day and so is everything else about the car.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:25 AM

Now, if Dodge would lighten the interior with 'plastic', and loose about 500 lbs, I think we would be happy to have heavy use of plastic on the interior-if the cars weight was down to 3400 lbs! I would be OK with manual roll up windows and less interior sound deadner for an extra couple of tenths-hell, I have put over 200,000 miles on my Demon 340, and I enjoyed those miles just fine without all that extra plush crap...no doubt it is nice, but it isn't what will sway me into buying or not buying a Challenger!!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:48 AM

Jumping in back to the 380 hp engine. I don't see that happening right away. Remember when the Hemi first went into the cars, or pretty much anything other then the Ram, it lost hp down to 340. Five less hp, not much, but still five that would have to be made up with extra $$ in add ons.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:04 PM

If this interior (2005 Mustang GT) "sucks" I need to get my eyes checked...
[IMG][/IMG]

ORIGINAL: kevin2323

CORRECTION its 0-60 in 4.9 for the challenger(which is probably underated like the charger srt8) and 4.6 for the SUPERCHARGED 4.7 ford engine which your basically paying 20k for a supercharger since the lowest gt500s go for is 60k .... once i drop only 5-7k into my challenger it will be 15k less than the gt500 and will destroy it completely. and since when does anyone that is a supposed mopar loyalist or fan look into the interior of a muscle car..... back in the day the american muscle car interiors sucked and they suck now too but they are better then back in the day and so is everything else about the car.

Quick Reply: Sorry Mopar, This Challenger lacks "It"