Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

SRT Enginner Responses- April 15 Chat Session

Old 04-16-2009, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post SRT Enginner Responses- April 15 Chat Session

Here are some of the responses to questions appropriate to the Challenger, from last night's 300C SRT Engineers' Chat Session:

I was wondering what you guys thought about a hard break in with these srt engines? There have been articles going around lately saying that a few hard runs on the first uses of the engine will help the rings seat better and will keep it running great and low on oil usage throughout the life of the motor and I was wondering what you guys thought about that.

A- SRT recommends that you follow the run-in procedure recommended in the owner's manual. That works better for seating rings.

Also, when should the order banks open for detonator yellow challenger srt8 spring specials?

A- Ordering should open towards the end of May.

Which models will be available at the SRT Track Experience at Thunder Hill when I attend on November 18?

A- All SRT products will be represented at this event...Enjoy!

1) Are these engines run on a dyno using conventional oil to seat the rings at the factory in Mexico before getting shipped to the assembly plant? I know that it is recommended by all motor builders I know of, that a new engine should never be broken in on synthetic oil and since these come from the factory with synthetic oil in them I want to make sure the rings will seat properly.

2) When should I first change the oil? I've heard everything from 60 miles up to 6000 miles.

3) What is the proper procedure for bedding in the Brembo's. There is nothing in the owners manual on this subject. Once they are bedded in do I have to do anything else with the breaks? Will they need to be bedded in again?

4) During the break in period should I keep it under 55 MPH? Or is there a certain RPM that I should try to stay under?

5) Is there any other break in advice that you can give me?

6) When can I drive this beast like it was meant to be driven?

I've done alot of research and I'm getting conflicting information so I hope you guys can help me with this. Thanks.

A- SRT recommends that you follow the run-in procedure in the owners manual which is ok with synthetic oil. The engine plant does not run-in the engines. We always run-in our dyno engines with synthetic oil.
The brake guys recommend 1000 miles of "normal" driving before you hammer on them.

A supporting vendor posted on another forum that the 5.7 engine is more advanced than the 6.1. He stated that the 5.7 has a better cam, similar intake, similar heads, and is 'king" until 5,200 rpm. What is your response to this?

A- No question the upgrades to the 5.7L that went into production in last year are impressive, but... the fact that you had to include the "until" qualifier makes it pretty clear who the real winner is.

What is your advice regarding Superchargers? The market has a big offer (Techo, Whipple, STS, Vortech, ATI Procharger, ...) with different concepts (Roots Blower/ TwinScrew or Centrifugal).

My understanding is as long as you do not try to get the last HP out of the
setup with the 6.1 and a blower, keep the boost as low as possible (max of 4-5psi ~520HP)
and don't race your car every weekend it should be a durable setup.

What do you think? Is it a no go in a long term view because the engines will not survive the extra load or is it as long as you keep the boost low more or less save?

Big TwinScrew's do >7PSI but I suppose that's definitely too much if you want to drive your engine 100.000miles+

Do you recommend bedding of the SRT breaks when squealing
is somewhat frequent?

A- If your brakes have gotten more noisy and you are driving around like a granny, do 3 or 4 hard but non-ABS stops from 60-20 mph (the performance pages are nice for this, do 0.5-0.6g stops on the longitudinal meter). That should clean excessive brake pad material off the rotors. You also may notice the brakes are more noisy on humid days. You should realize that these are performance brakes, so they will make noise.

This is a hypothetical question and not about a future product.
If a 6.4L Hemi were to exist about how much horsepower would it produce?

A- A 6.4L Hemi does exist, check the 392 crate out at mopar.com
EFI: 525 hp, Carb: 540 hp

About the half shafts that are breaking and you beefing them up in 2009 is there a specific problem that you found in the heat treating of them ? what was the reason for the change?

A- The only concerns we had with the halfshafts was when big power adders were installed (ie, Nitrous, superchargers, etc). In 2009 the halfshafts were upgraded to live behind a manual trans.

Did you guys design the mopar cold air intake for the 6.1 ? I notice on my stock air box there is a baffle going off to te left on my 2006 300cSRT8 I notice there is not one on the challenger or the charger or the newer 300srt8's what is the reason for this and what does it do? and what are your thoughts on the aftermarket cold air intakes fo the 6.1 ?

A- The change was to improve the induction sound so it sounds more like an SRT should. As for the cold air, mopar has one for you.

Also, the dyno has consistently shown the 6.1 to be underrated. Why isn't it rated for the actual power that its making? I've never seen one make less then 450 (though several higher), so why not rate it at 450 instead of 420-425?

A- SRT does not allow "Marketing" to influence our horsepower ratings. You'd be surprised how common of a practice that is at other car companies, hence the tightening up of SAE horsepower rating procedures a couple of years ago. Notice how we did not loose power, but many other manufacturers did? Also, haven't Mopar horses always been bigger than the other ones?

My 09 SRT 300 shifts significantly better than my 06 SRT Charger did. Was there any additional tweaking to the tranny set up in the last few years to achieve this, outside of the shift hesitation TSB that was available?

A- Glad you like it! There has not been any more major changes, but we continue to fine tune the system with every model year.

Will the SRT program continue on in 2010 and beyond? I would hate to see a good thing disappear because of CAFE or fed guidelines that may squelch it due to the SRT being a niche market for hotrod, motorheads and pure Amercan muscle horsepower aficondos, like me, err, rather us!!

A- As long as people keep buying our cars, we'll be around!

Is the air box on the 6.1 different then the one on the 5.7?

A- Yes, they are different. SRT designed the 6.1L box for less airflow restriction and a better "performance" sound.

Would you guys like to see the 'Cuda back in Chrysler's line up??

A- We'd love to see one.

Please provide ballpark (average) suspension spring stats for both the R/T and SRT versions of the Magnum, Charger, and 300?

A- The R/T Charger uses 204 lb/in front and and 514 lb/in rear with Nivomat rear shock.
The R/T Challenger uses 224 front 514 rear with Nivomat rear shock, 547 rear without nivomat.
The 300C SRT8 uses 227f, 622r.
The Charger and Magnum SRT8 use 284f, 778r.
The Challenger SRT8 uses 261f, 669r.

SRT8s sit 1/2" lower than the 5.7L and 3.5L rwd cars.

The cop car springs are 250f, 652 rear (with Nivomat), but sit even taller than base car due to how they are typically loaded down.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update Cuda.