Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

SRT Hood Scoops

Old 05-26-2008, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SRT Hood Scoops

Does anyone know how the air scoops will work on the 2009 SRTs? Will there be a manual or vacuum control to shut the openings when it is raining?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SRT Hood Scoops

My guess is it will be similiar to the Charger, since all it does is cool the engine and not provide the RAM air effect into the throttle body.

It is probably shown in the Charger manual.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering if there is any way to block them off during bad weather.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Hopefully, they have a cool valve channel like on snorkels. When the waves splash over the snorkels, it still keeps the water out of the snorkel and ultimately your lungs.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 AM

Hmmm, sounds like that would require taking this baby a lot deeper into the depths then should be recommended?
Old 05-27-2008, 09:24 AM

good question cuda....hmmm I never thought about that...Jeez... I thought the proto-type had something you could close and open...but im sure with everything going on at dodge that was lost in translation to the manufactured version...
Old 05-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

How's about floats like in a carburetor or a toilet. Have a little area that collect water possibly shaped like a an "O" with the top third cut off, so that when you break and accelerate the water wouldn't slosh out. These would will force the floats connected to the flaps closed...when it stopped, you'd have a cable to you could pull to empty them. This would provide an automated way of engaging them. If you wanted to override this feature you'd leave the stoppers opened....

Of course if you wanted to make it simple, a cable, like that of a choke, hooked to the butterfly valves on the scoop....but where's the fun in that approach....

perhaps some another complex approach could be some absorbent material that expanded when wet, that would push the valves/flaps closed when wet, as soon as they dry, they return to normal size allowing them to open...

Old 05-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: MrKrisSullivan

good question cuda....hmmm I never thought about that...Jeez... I thought the proto-type had something you could close and open...but im sure with everything going on at dodge that was lost in translation to the manufactured version...
The concept had it as it opened and closed when you throttled it but I have not seen anything like that in the production version.

I do not see it here either.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/7A7B3BFEE4444F97A73D929A831E837F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-27-2008, 03:59 PM

hey thanks Jerimiah... I thought so but wasn't very sure...
Old 05-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Those wouldn't really help when it rained, unless, of course, you didn't hit the accelerator when it rained. Of course, this greatly reduces the chance of hydroplaning.

Quick Reply: SRT Hood Scoops