Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   Suspension Problems? (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/suspension-problems-2719/)

stroken56 03-04-2008 08:06 AM

Suspension Problems?

A mechanic from a local Dodge dealer had informed me that the police version of the Charger had been a frequent visiter to the repair shop. He told me when the car was slung around in the road to chase another car, the rear-end would often break its aluminum suspension mounts/arms. He has already seen four (police) cars this has happened to.

Granted, I will not be slinging my car around in the road, but the thought remains, how much side force can I safetly put on the rear suspension? The Challenger and Charger share the same suspension wright?

And a great deal of videos with the Challenger slinging around is either on dirt, or wet pavement.:eek:

lear4406 03-04-2008 02:17 PM

RE: Suspension Problems?

These are good problems to have appear on heavy duty use. By that I mean that it will give Dodge a chance to fix these problems that would otherwise go unoticed under normal conditions. Since we do have alot in common with the Charger, thay will have a chance to put better and stronger components in these areas. So we win and the crooks in the long run lose:)

Billionaire 03-04-2008 04:04 PM

I thought the Challenger had some heavier duty, higher performance parts than the Charger? I wouldn't abuse my Challenger by throwing it around like that anyway. I never drive like that. That would be fairly hard on any car I would think.

Jeremiah 29:11 03-04-2008 04:49 PM

If they need beefing up, I will beef it up myself.

mac 03-04-2008 06:53 PM

deleted

Jeremiah 29:11 03-04-2008 08:16 PM

I agree with you, but if it doesn't happen then it ain't happening unless I do it myself.

stroken56 03-04-2008 09:00 PM

I'll try to get up with the mechanic again to see exactly which components were failing. It might be the week-end before I see him.

Albeeno 03-05-2008 09:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Albeeno

My understanding (based on that 1 page Road & Track article that just came out) is that the Challenger has a softer ride / suspension than the Charger, but more firm that the Magnum and/or 300C. Suspension appears to be one of the few things NOT borrowed from the Charger... C'mon guys...there's gonna be problems...at the end of the day, it's still a Dodge! [:@]

Albeeno 03-05-2008 09:07 AM

My understanding (based on that 1 page Road & Track article that just came out) is that the Challenger has a softer ride / suspension than the Charger, but more firm that the magnum and/or 300C. Suspension appears to be one of the few things NOT borrowed from the Charger... C'mn guys...there's gonna be problems...at the end of teh day, it's still a Dodge! [:@]

mac 03-05-2008 06:26 PM

Deleted

mac 03-05-2008 06:32 PM

deleted

MrKrisSullivan 03-06-2008 07:21 PM

ha that 351 was such a dude in the Bronco. But you can't beat a 351 clevland those suckers are pretty bad.;)

Albeeno 03-07-2008 09:20 AM

Mustang: April 1964 - Present. Nuff said...

ORIGINAL: mac

Yes it is a Dodge. I wish they had a better track record like Ford. Really hard to compete against the Maverick, exploding Pinto and the Tempo. I really love the tranny in the tempo and was one of the best designed features on the car. Ford also scored on the Windsor 351 engine. Should I go on?

RLSH700 03-07-2008 11:27 AM

They will probably resolve that before long on the Charger. I doubt that we will have problems with something like that unless we are running a moonshining businesses and are trying to avoid Boss Hog, if you know what I mean. The Challenger has a slightly updated platform so maybe they already resolved that.

mac 03-07-2008 12:38 PM

Deleted

MGDMike 03-07-2008 01:27 PM

Well one thing we can agree on, dodge and Ford ain't BMW. My good Army buddy friend just bought this today from the dealership, a certified pre-owned 6 series.

http://kuni-bmw.ebizautos.com/webdet...px?iid=2630727

Nice but dang thats alot! Whats your friend.. an O5+?!

RLSH700 03-07-2008 02:30 PM

Well one thing we can agree on, dodge and Ford ain't BMW. My good Army buddy friend just bought this today from the dealership, a certified pre-owned 6 series.

http://kuni-bmw.ebizautos.com/webdet...px?iid=2630727

No but Dodge is part Mercedes.;) Does that add points in your book, mac? In the future, please try to stay on the topic. If you want to post pictures about a sweet car you're buddy got, please post that under a new thread in the Off Topic section.

mac 03-07-2008 06:03 PM

Deleted

mac 03-07-2008 06:05 PM

Okay my mistake. I tend to drift off topic at times but this was kind of related if you read through my posts on this subject. For now on I will post without all the fun comments or subjects:

I think the suspension will be fine on the challenger.

stroken56 03-08-2008 03:41 PM

OK, so far. ALL of the problems that the police model chargers have had have been labled abuse or neglect. Which is understandable. The information I got was basically the police drive these cars worse than any rental would see. The cars have been in for more than just suspension repairs (that was just the biggest concern).

Sorry to creat such a fuss over a bunch of guys that can't take better care of our tax dollars.[:@]

Oh, there's a charger in the shop now getting the engine mounts replaced. These guys must be brutal.
[sm=gears.gif]