Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

talked with a dealer today here

Old 03-25-2008, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: talked with a dealer today here

I'm not sure that dealer (and others like him) may lose that smile quick when some '08s are still sitting around as the '09's arrive. And w/ the R/T being a really well thought out car, and the no so nice economic times we're in, that dash plaque and a bet that "someday" it will be worth something outrageous made fade very quickly. The cars going for big bucks at Barrett-Jackson etc., were not 1 0f 5,000+ identical production runs. Ford dealers learned a tough lesson by jacking up prices on the new T-Bird when it debuted, then could not give them away later until the car was discontinued.

Who knows, we'll see.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:31 AM

I've looked on ebay a few times and generally the bidding goes to a little over $50K, that's not $10K over but very close. You may not be willing to pay $10K over MSRP, and I wouldn't either, but it looks as if some are very willing to pay the price.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:36 AM

If you don't like markups, just wait. When supply is limited, and demand is high, prices go up. That's economics. If people didn't pay the markup, dealers wouldn't do it.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:15 PM

Not so much the dealers fault for marking the price up. We are the jokers that are paying for it! [sm=chairshot.gif] Look at the GT500.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

A $10K markup is nothing. I know of one dealer who has a $25K markup and says it with a smile on his face.
Was his name Ben Dover? []
Old 03-25-2008, 06:12 PM

Dodge brothers, I've been reporting that same story (T bird mark up history) and just how many Challengers are really "customer spoken for" is yet to be seen. Furhter the rocky stock market and tightening lending criteria, will, I think, limit those who can put the money on the barrel head.

Along that line, I received in mail today the new Challenger brochure from my dealer salesman. And I called him to thank him. He says they have 10 coming in, 6 orange, 2 black 2 silver. Says none are pre sold. I demurely deferred that I would understand that if they had a big commercial account who wanted a Challenger that he'd be first and I would wait, and maybe do a 2009 RT. My salesman made it quite clear that there is real good chance a 2008 would be available for me.
Steve
Old 03-25-2008, 07:10 PM

Steve, I thought it was odd that this dealer had an allotment of 4 cars and only 2 were "spoken for". I think the $10k markup is more of a pipe dream - sure someone might pay it, but those cars might just be sitting on the lot for a while too...

I've reconsidered the idea of getting an RT, and am going back to thinking SRT (leaning towards manual). I actually got my hopes up for a second, because I might have considered a small markup over msrp (and taken an automatic).

I'll just wait it out for now, and order a fully optioned SRT over the summer.

You have to wonder - with $4 a gallon gas - and on the brink of a recession - if these dealers are just flat out overplaying "hype" on these cars.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator

But, as I understand it, these Challengers are recession proof, bullet proof, fire proof and 100 proof!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:42 AM

It should be interesting to see how this all plays out. With the 09s coming out soon, the 08s coming in late spring, a lot of people at lest here playing the wait and see game. The $$$ of the RT. Some people may see 08s on th lots, while RTs and SEs fly out of the dealerships. I know here we had 2 GT500s on the showroom for a few months, WHne they first cameout they were here for only a week. Hopefully I can gt my finances in order and get something with a V8
Old 03-26-2008, 05:59 AM

Yep, it will be interesting so see how this all plays out. I've been purposely "talking with" 3 different dealers since "the Go" decision on the Challenger was made - just to help my chances on pining one down, plus, what info they had. The info has been completely inconsistent and they know less than is posted on this site...frustrating. Also interesting, they've not talked price as I have not, and have pushed the '08 discussion more as I ask about the '09 delivery dates (not unexpected), & like Steve experienced.

Quick Reply: talked with a dealer today here