Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

These bad boys do have a few ponys left to find

Old 07-01-2008, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default These bad boys do have a few ponys left to find

"Member Question: Is there something more complex than monitoring the A/F ratios and knock sensors fooling us into thinking we have a good tune on our cars when we really don't? Most people are tuning with a sniffer on the exhaust or a bung into the exhaust manifold. Any help is appreciated - thanks. I'm of the crowd who really appreciates the starting point you give us.

SRT Engineer: If the general public believes that the calibration engineers leave any ponies on the table when competative pressure around Detroit to one up the industry are so politically charged, they are wrong. This is a bunch of racers and we want always to win. If a change is made to hardware such as long headers which we could not certify for emissions or noise, Fuel air and spark need to be modified. We are also sensitive to the cost of our vehicles and spec the parts to meet our functional objectives. Some components may not like being pushed harder."

If you live somewhere that doesn't care about emissions or sound, then you are good to get more power
Old 07-01-2008, 05:42 PM

Default RE: These bad boys do have a few ponys left to find

There are definitely a few ponies left. I for one was dissapointed that the Chally doesn't breathe better. A simple cold air intake can add 25 to 30 hp. Why didn't it come with one? But of course Dodge offers one for sale before the first Chally rolls off the line. The recent article in Hot Rod magazine did show a very minimal boost from the Diablo Predator, 6hp, so the SRT folks got that right. And when they went to put the SRT8 exhaust upgrade from a Charger on it actually had smaller pipes the the Chally itself! But the engine is built to handle massive hp and there are multiple companies that can boost it to scary levels.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

I guess it comes down to revenue generation. But you think the numbers would work out, to where bragging rights would increase unit sales, which would drive revenue in the form of margin on every extry unit sold.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:08 AM

It sounds more like to me it's tuned to be legal for emissions and sounds, and very easily add a good few ponies to it with some headers and exhaust and intake work. That’s as far as I would go with it, I don't think I’ll be tearing down the motor or adding a supercharger.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:24 AM

ORIGINAL: 7schulz

Some components may not like being pushed harder."

This statement is the main concern with me. I wont be doing any major mods either....
Old 07-02-2008, 09:59 AM

Also, if you're like me, your area will come under yearly emissions tests sooner rather than later. These days, I wouldn't do any major modifications to anything just because it probably would violate some air-pollution law. Forget Watergate. Nixon's biggest mistake was getting the EPA started.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:06 AM

I dont have a problem adding headers and a CIA and am open to a few other tweaks. What about the throttle body size?
I wont go into the engine and want to be able to have anything beyond the CAI done where the engine can be "tuned" if needed.
As far as the CAI has there been confirmed dyno tests to show the HP increase?