Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

TPMS

Old 11-19-2008, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS

I have been running my tire pressure at 30 on the fronts and 28 on the rears. Yesterday the temp here dropped to 24 degrees and I noticed the pressures all dropped about two pounds. I have been suspecting that the left rear is slowly losing pressure, as I have had to add a pound or two a couple of times. I can't find anything in the tire, so I am suspecting a poor tire to rim seal. Anyway, the left rear dropped to 25 lbs. and that set off the low pressure alarm. I aired the tire to 30 lbs. to reset the alarm. Now my question is, Is there anything I need to tell the people checking the seal to watch for so that they don't damage something in the TPMS ? Does there have to be greater care taken when changing tires ? I've never owned anything with this feature before.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:42 AM

Default RE: TPMS

24 degree temps will easily reduce tire pressure that far, but since the one tire was low I would check to see how much the other really dropped. Adding a Nitrogen fill to you tires will help eliminate pressure issues and since the actual molicules are larger than air it is said they do not leak through the rubber like air will. The moisture present in the regular air fill is the reason for the pressure change in cold and hot extremes.

Check the valve cores first though with a little soapy water.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:48 AM

I have had TPMS on 4 of my last cars. Once you have it you will be amazed at how much regular compressed air pressure changes with temp. It always drops around this time of the year as it gets cold. It will go up in the spring. Race cars use nitrogen as a fill because it is not as sensitive to temp changes. My QX56 came with a nitrogen fill on it's tires and I do not have this issue with that car.

You do not have to do anything different except to tell the guy when you change your tires. He has to be careful of the sensor. The sensor is part of the tire valves. On my old vette it was strapped to the inside of the wheel. The only thing I do not know is how long the power lasts in the sensor.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:06 AM

It is in the valve stem and if you have a leak and add fix a flat or any of the GOO stuff you should get it cleaned out ASAP it could gum it up.

ORIGINAL: 05flhtcse

I have been running my tire pressure at 30 on the fronts and 28 on the rears. Yesterday the temp here dropped to 24 degrees and I noticed the pressures all dropped about two pounds. I have been suspecting that the left rear is slowly losing pressure, as I have had to add a pound or two a couple of times. I can't find anything in the tire, so I am suspecting a poor tire to rim seal. Anyway, the left rear dropped to 25 lbs. and that set off the low pressure alarm. I aired the tire to 30 lbs. to reset the alarm. Now my question is, Is there anything I need to tell the people checking the seal to watch for so that they don't damage something in the TPMS ? Does there have to be greater care taken when changing tires ? I've never owned anything with this feature before.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:49 AM

Hot Air expands... Cold Air compressess... That's why we want cold air intakes...
Old 11-19-2008, 08:36 AM

why 28 in the back 30 in front?

why not equal pressure all around?
Old 11-19-2008, 03:43 PM

Well, the car is recommended to have 35lbs.cold. I just want to see how the fronts wear at 30 and hope that 28 in the rear gives better traction.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:47 AM

that makes sense.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:57 AM

I forgot to mention, my problem in the tire that was losing air, the valve stem was not seated. Tightened it down and no air loss since.