Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

We are very lucky to have the Challenger

Old 10-05-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We are very lucky to have the Challenger

With the current disaster in the car business - we are VERY lucky that Chrysler built the Challenger. It is a low volume car (2 door coupe is a specialty vehicle) that will not contribute a bunch to the bottom line of the company. It's no secret that Chrysler is doing poorly. It is a miracle that we have the Challenger at all.

Business is down, heck I have only seen 3 other Challengers on the street EVER. My dealer has 1/2 dozen S/E models in stock for a few weeks - none sold. Those cars should be flying out of the showroom at full MSRP of 23k - but they are not.

Chrysler does not have any global presence, even Ford and GM are making money overseas. They do not have any compact vehicles since they dumped the Neon. The biggest money maker has been the truck and Jeep business which is dead right now.

I hope Chrysler will survive. I love my new Challenger, and hope that there will be a company behind the lifetime warranty.

Once again - it is a miracle that we have the Challenger at all.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:36 PM

Default RE: We are very lucky to have the Challenger

yep and hopefully I get mine before chrysler is gone. But hopefully the electric cars keep chrysler alive past 2010.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:56 PM

The current state of the economy and the nightly news pumping doom and gloom out of the media machine certainly hasn"t done the auto industry any favors either. Combine that with the high price of gas and the lowest average fuel mileage in the industry and Chrysler has certainly has thier hands full trying to keep things rolling toward profitability. Hopefully they have the financial capital to weather the storm and the engineering know how to turn out some interesting fuel misers. The decision to scrap the Neon just never made any sense to me... but that was made under the Daimler regime... not really anything current management had any say in. As with all things... time will tell.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: 73Challenger

Business is down, heck I have only seen 3 other Challengers on the street EVER. My dealer has 1/2 dozen S/E models in stock for a few weeks - none sold. Those cars should be flying out of the showroom at full MSRP of 23k - but they are not.

I think part of that problem is the fact that Chrysler has done virtually NO advertising on the Challenger. Since I have an SE, I've been amazed at how many people are shocked to hear that a V-6 Challenger even exists. They may have heard that the Challenger is back, but to most people (I'm talking "normal" folks, not people like us, obviously), it may be a cool car but it's just a V-8 monster that sucks up costly gasoline. Chrysler needs to start pushing the Challenger in all of its versions instead of yet another "crossover" vehicle. Also, are you sure the dealer is just charging just MSRP? Unfortunately, many aren't and are trying to fleece the public for an extra $5K or $6K on SEs.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:28 PM

I see a ton of ads for the Journey these days. And saw a lot of Caliber ads last year. Chrysler needs to get hot and make some 40+ city mpg cars if it hopes to survive. 32 highway mpg for a manual Caliber isn't good enough.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:35 AM

In Europe ... you guys don't know about the Magnum 300 ? Or "Chrysler 300 Wagen"

It's just a magnum with a 300 front end and 300 logo on the back !!!

73Challenger , you are 100% right , this car should not even be out right now !!! WE are INDEED lucky !

I have only seen 3 other ones then mine in my LIFE , and 73 was one of them !
Old 10-06-2008, 03:58 AM

Well with all the money congress is handing out, I'm sure the big 3 will stay alive for a at least a few more years. I cant remember the exact amount but i know that they approved a huge loan to automakers over the next 2 years and maybe they will have something happen during that time. It will take some changes in the way they do business but with any luck they can stay afloat.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:50 AM

25 billion dollars is the figure I have heard.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:17 AM

yea 20+
Old 10-06-2008, 05:23 AM

The government's "bailout" of the car industry is earmarked for reserach and devlopement of fuel efficient vehicles.

None of that money is to prop up the companies current situation.

Quick Reply: We are very lucky to have the Challenger