Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

What would you do (lost key)

Old 12-25-2008, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do (lost key)

Well when I picked my R/T up 2 days ago the dealer could not find the spare key fob. It really did not bother me much then, they told me to bring the car in and they would program me a new one to the car.
Now that I have thought about it more, im wondering if I should tell them I want the car locks and ignition changed.
I just do not feel comftorable now not knowing who has the spare key to my car.
What do you think? am I being a jerk if I ask them to do that ? should they have to do it if I ask them or can they refuse ?
Old 12-25-2008, 06:08 PM

Default RE: What would you do (lost key)

I dunno. I think I'd probably ask them to reprogram things so the missing fob couldn't be used. Maybe that's a little paranoid, but the Challenger IS an expensive car. You'd think it wouldn't be too big a deal to reprogram them.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:59 PM

i would ask them to do it too. they lost the other key and not you so it is their fault...i would be nice about it tho... i am sure the dealer will understand your concern wanting to protect your investment
Old 12-26-2008, 01:04 AM

I would ask about what can be done to prevent the lost key from being used. Have them make a spare key (you don’t want to lock your only key in the car) Give them about week to find the lost key, it could turn up. How long was your R/T at the dealership before you took delivery? If it just arrived, sometime the keys can get separated in transit and it may show up later.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:37 AM

Its a new car, its the dealers fault,better to get it taken care of now and save a possible big problem down the road, your insurance company wont be happy knowing a key fob missing
Old 12-26-2008, 03:53 AM

Remember that the fob also has an actual key in it for the glove box. You can deprogram the car to accept the fob but the actual key inside will still fit whatever locks are in the car. Those would have to be changed as well to have complete security.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:09 AM

Have you happened to look through the packet of stuff that came with the car. Mine was hidden away in there. Also might check the glove box and see if it made its way in there...
Old 12-30-2008, 04:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have any of you guys had defective key fobs? Mine stopped working and I had to pop the ignition button out and use the key. My local dealer said that there is a recall on many of the older key fobs. My car wasn't included since it was recently built (mid-November). It is, however, covered under the new car warranty. I am getting two new key fobs today.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:12 AM

I was just informed today by my dealer that there is a second recall on the key fob.....I need to bring mine in...check with your local dealer
Old 12-30-2008, 12:09 PM

Is that just for the 08s, Joe, or all of them?

Quick Reply: What would you do (lost key)