Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

What's with all the weight

Old 08-14-2008, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's with all the weight

Yeah, weight, not wait. I know we've become creatures of comfort, but do we really need the MyGIG stuff and 8-way power seats in the Challenger? I thought this was luxury stuff, not "get me point-a-to-point-b-in-a-hurry" stuff.

Here's my take on the weight:

- huge entertainment centers are for home. Just give me an AM/FM/CD with 4 speakers.

- power-everything: opening my windows with manual cranks burns 3 calories. I'm fat enough, I need the exercise Same with power doors, power trunk and power seats make these options, or deletable.

- air bags and side impact bars are super heavy, but they keep me and my family safe. I hate the weight, but you can't put a price on human life. They must stay.

- an air compressor to inflate the tires? come on... just tell me it's low and I'll fill it up myself. I know you want me to get the best gas mileage, but the extra weight ain't helping.

- speaking of extra weight, if I need to lose 30 lbs too

- spare tire & jack. I'll be yanking those out, as most of my driving is within 45 minutes of home where I can just call someone. If I do a road trip, I'll plop it back in for the trip.

- insulation: there's probably 200 lbs of insulating material to keep noise out. We'll be chopping the exhaust in favour of headers and free-flowing tubes anyway, so we won't hear anything but the engine.

- hood - that hood is gorgeous, but it must weigh a ton. I'm hoping someone makes a decent, lightweight aftermarket piece

- rear seat: no one ever sits there, and people who do expect a 2dr coupe's rear seat to be uncomfortable. Get rid of those heavy consoles and armrests with cupholders in the back. And big padded seats. Make people regret they asked for a ride

- air conditioning: why is this standard equipment? I live in Canada and use AC about 2 times/year. Give me an AC delete option no need to give me money back.

- ESP do we really need 40 lbs of sensors? I'd like the SE without ESP, but as soon as you order the rim+foglamp package, you get ESP.

Well, that's my rant :-) Where else could I trim some fat from my next new car?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:28 PM

Default RE: What's with all the weight

An automatic only takes one leg to drive.... and only one arm for that matter. I bet if we all cut off just one arm and one leg we could lighten the driver by 20%

I love the creature comforts of the modern car. The old muscle car was fun to drive for about a hour. Im looking forward to the first long drive... perhaps to Vegas, or up to Washington. I could have done without the sunroof, but in California its better to have one then not.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:55 AM

ORIGINAL: toofart

- rear seat .... Make people regret they asked for a ride

FINALLY, a person who truly UNDERSTANDS the reason for buying a coupe!
Old 08-15-2008, 03:52 AM

That has to be the dumbest post I have ever read. i happen to love the comforts , maybe you sould think of getting rid of modern plumbing or electricity. Its called progress . Onece agian thanks dodge for a rockin car.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:00 AM

dodgeguy24 Date 8/15/2008 4:52:23 AM
That has to be the dumbest post I have ever read. i happen to love the comforts , maybe you sould think of getting rid of modern plumbing or electricity. Its called progress . Onece agian thanks dodge for a rockin car.
Not cool, man. Not cool at all.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:11 AM

You would be surprized how much weight I have removed for my racecar and I feel safe in it.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:21 AM

Ok well if you want to save weight, and go fast, why spend all that money on a street Challenger? Why not just buy the race version? Already cut down in weight and is truly fast. Me? I want the comforts and safety items. I am buying this car as a comfortable driver, sort of a muscle car with extras. If I wanted a stripped down car I would buy an original and gut, not this one. Besides, if you are worried about weight to speed ratio I would suggest not buying a 6 cyl. in a full size car. Just buy the SRT8 and have all the speed you want/need regardless of weight.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:07 AM

I guess the point of my post is that none of these power accessories and A/C are optional you just get them. I can remember a time when you could buy a car without A/C. Why do I want a Challenger then? Cuz it looks awesome, and I'm a Mopar guy. I want a great looking, fun car to drive/cruise on the street that will fit my budget.

The V6 Challenger will fit the bill nicely I was simply ranting that I personally could do without some of the 'options'.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:52 AM

It's a sign of the times man. We have all become too accustomed to the creature comforts. My 70 'Cuda is one of the old Mopars that was specifically ordered to go racing (no power steering, no A/C, no powers brakes, manual seat, etc.). I agree it would be nice to be able to spec these items if you just want the lightest and fastest street Challenger you can get, but you also have to consider the manufacturing process and having a ton of variables makes it very difficult on the Assembly plants as well.

ORIGINAL: toofart

I guess the point of my post is that none of these power accessories and A/C are optional you just get them. I can remember a time when you could buy a car without A/C. Why do I want a Challenger then? Cuz it looks awesome, and I'm a Mopar guy. I want a great looking, fun car to drive/cruise on the street that will fit my budget.

The V6 Challenger will fit the bill nicely I was simply ranting that I personally could do without some of the 'options'.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:28 AM

Real simple reason. It would cost Chrysler money to offer more packages. Why offer packages that the EXTREME minority would choose? Chrysler is not about to go into further debt to offer options that will be chosen on less than 1% of Challengers if even that. The vast majority of future buyers would not give the car a single thought if it didn't have some of those basic feature like A/C. No dealers would order cars with those options. Chrysler would basically be offering custom options that only a handful of special order folks would buy.

Sure it sounds neat to a select few, but no matter how you slice it, it makes zero business sense. That is why it is not offered. You are welcome to strip out all of that technology once you buy your car.

Quick Reply: What's with all the weight