Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   Where will the Sweet Spot Be? (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/where-will-sweet-spot-2780/)

joeyr 03-13-2008 10:02 AM

RE: Where will the Sweet Spot Be?

That why I said I think that the V6 will be the best seller. A GT starts under 30 ($27,460), the bullit mustang package ($3310) will make it near 31K. And if I add every package or option it will still be under 35k. And I am sure that the Camaro will be at least few hundred cheaper. So a twenty something challenger with a v6 will right up alot of peoples alley.

Axel 03-13-2008 10:19 AM

You know Urlos, nice dog by the way, I say the exact same thing to my wife all the time. I see these Mustangs go around with the pony package or the single exahust from the back and say to my wife, or myself if she's not in the car, what is the point? The 6 Mustang is a joke in the power department, do you really buy it just for the looks? I mean I understand the price may be a factor in it, but honestly, if I can't afford a V8 muscle car, I'll enjoy just looking at it rather then going down to the V6. Even if it was one powerful V6 that could beat many V8s out there, I still believe, and always will, that a muscle car should have a V8 in it.

That R/T is a pretty steep price, I'm thinking 35k also, to be in competition with the Mustang at this point. If they could bring that down a bit then I think the sales of the R/T may pick up in comparison to the SE/SXT.

RoswellGrey 03-13-2008 11:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Axel

The 6 Mustang is a joke in the power department, do you really buy it just for the looks?
That's EXACTLY why I bought my '70 Challenger (with a 318) AND my 2000 Mustang (with a V-6). Looks also is why I've had '85, '86 and '94 Thunderbirds (all with V-6s), by the way.

Having been half-owner of a '68 Coronet R/T with a 440 Magnum that was originally purchased with the intention of making money on the streets (it did), I know how truly worthless a car with a huge engine is in day-to-day use and how expensive it is for gas and insurance. Realistically, how often are you going to RACE your Challenger? C'mon, admit it: The only REAL reason the SRT and even the R/T models have for existing is for racing. You are not going to be going off the line at every stoplight when you're driving to work -- unless you enjoy getting tickets, of course. When we had the Coronet -- and for a time, it was our only true source of income -- we HAD to race it three or four times a week at $50 a pop (a lot of money in the early '70s) just to basically pay for its operations. And even then, we didn't win EVERY race. Fortunately, we DID win the MAJORITY of times.

I'm sure I'm not the only person in the world who wants a Challenger strictly for its looks. And quite frankly, I'd rather get a pair of used rental 6-cylinder Challengers for $22,000 each than be laying out at least $41,000 for an SRT Challenger. (If I have two, I can drive one till it falls apart and still have one in reserve. That should get me through life.) I have no real use for the power of the SRT.

1 Bad Mirada 03-13-2008 01:32 PM

i dont know..i have big engines in most of my vehicles, and i dont have a problem with it...

however, the V6 mustang and f-bodies exist, because those are the cars that keep the lineup alive. look at the sales volume of the V6 mustangs alone.

DSkippy 03-13-2008 03:05 PM

I hope I wasn't ambiguous with the question. So, V6's w/ minimal margins (if they are, assumption) will out profit the higher margin lesser selling RT's?

Justinec101 03-13-2008 04:13 PM

"You know Urlos, nice dog by the way, I say the exact same thing to my wife all the time. I see these Mustangs go around with the pony package or the single exahust from the back and say to my wife, or myself if she's not in the car, what is the point? The 6 Mustang is a joke in the power department, do you really buy it just for the looks? I mean I understand the price may be a factor in it, but honestly, if I can't afford a V8 muscle car, I'll enjoy just looking at it rather then going down to the V6. Even if it was one powerful V6 that could beat many V8s out there, I still believe, and always will, that a muscle car should have a V8 in it."

The answer is yes. And to me money is basically the only factor. If I had more money I would have an R/T. You say, "what's the point", and I say the point is that a V6 is still competent enough compared to all the other cars on the roads these days, but I get to drive something a little more exciting than a camry. There's a middleground I think you're missing. There's not just people who want a 4 cylinder 4 door A to B econo-car and people who want a 425hp gas guzzler with no real-world practicality. There's a group in the middle.

Dodge Favre ever 03-13-2008 05:03 PM

I think alot depends upon the women buyers. If they like the style of the Challenger with a V-6. That's one reason why the Mustang is so popular.

DSkippy 03-13-2008 07:36 PM

I still like the notion that a 6 is a fine starting place (as well as final place for that matter). If you find you want a little more, as others have stated, start hitting ebay, and a V8 motor will show up somewhere if you're unhappy with the perf of the 6.

MrKrisSullivan 03-13-2008 07:44 PM

Yeah I agree V-6 will make the most for dodge, Especially when the new 4.0 litre Phoenix engine is put in it. It practicly gets V-8 numbers with not near the cost.
I don't really think the R/T will climb to 35k though Im thinking it'll be more like 30,995 or 31,995. If they think they'll sell a bunch of them for 35k then watch then start to come up used when people trade them in for the next flavor of the year. 35k is too steep for a car that just looks sharper than a 27k GT. Just me though.

Justinec101 03-13-2008 08:22 PM

What are the specs for that phoenix engine? If it looks like it'll be along by the 2010 models I might have to wait.