Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Why are we in love with the Challenger?

Old 04-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are we in love with the Challenger?

I now know why I love the Challenger.

Excerpts from a recent article I read:

Nostalgia ads work, but why?
By NICHOLAS K. GERANIOS
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

SPOKANE, Wash.

When you see pictures of old muscle cars, do you want to buy a new Dodge Challenger?

When Leonard Nimoy finally spreads his fingers in the Vulcan salute, are you ready to buy Aleve?

A nostalgia ad is any ad that evokes a bittersweet recall of the past, Sprott said. It can recall an earlier time in which a person was alive, or even a time before they were born.

But in general, life experiences that people have in their 20s - and the music, cars and clothes that accompanied those experiences - form the basis for nostalgic feelings.

Well I owned my Challenger when I was 17-23 years of age so that explains it.

"Stuff we experience right out of college structures the general preferences for the rest of our lives," Sprott said.

Nostalgia ads are particularly popular during the Christmas season, when the media is filled with ads showing people rushing home for the holidays, they said.

"Nostalgia works when you have a great brand that truly has history," Northrop, executive director of the agency, said.

Yep...the Challenger was a bad car.

When people became nostalgic for their own past, the feelings were often bittersweet, they found.

"The reason it is bittersweet is that the memory is positive in most cases, but we really cannot return to that time," Sprott said. "That's where the sadness comes in."

Wrong, as soon as the Challenger comes out I am buying one.

"You can't return to the high school prom, only experience it vicariously," he said.

Nostalgia tends to be affective rather than cognitive, meaning it is feelings-based rather than thought-based, they said.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:36 PM

Default RE: Why are we in love with the Challenger?

I've never had a "muscle" car before. This is my chance and I love the heritage behind the name as well. Plus, my daughter will probably like her Daddy to take her to school with a cool car.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:48 PM

I've owned two so called muscle cars before a Trans AM and Duster. I've always admired the Challenger even as a child but of course I was to young or two broke to own one then. Neither of those are factors today.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:07 AM

Why do I love this car?
Easy!

Best.
Damn.
Car.
EVER!
Old 04-03-2006, 03:33 AM

On a clear night with a full moon I'm going to make out with my wife in the back seat of my 2008 Challenger.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:08 AM

I wasnt Alive during the muscle car era, my uncle would tell me stories about his 71 challenger and my dad is a vette fan. So muscle cars is in the famliy. I love the challenger and the charger cause it has a BADASS appeal that the mustang cant even dream to be. I'd take a old challenger or charger over an ENZO any day!!!
Old 04-03-2006, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: 2007HemiCuda

On a clear night with a full moon I'm going to make out with my wife in the back seat of my 2008 Challenger.
Yeah but we gotta have power windows. Those window cranks back there in the old ones could really be some hair pullers! (my wifes still got her long hair too ) Oh the memories!
Old 04-03-2006, 06:21 PM

ORIGINAL: GENX_HEMI9
I wasnt Alive during the muscle car era, my uncle would tell me stories about his 71 challenger and my dad is a vette fan. So muscle cars is in the famliy. I love the challenger and the charger cause it has a BADASS appeal that the mustang cant even dream to be. I'd take a old challenger or charger over an ENZO any day!!!
There where two muscle car eras, 1964-1974 when they where brand new and 1980-1990 when they where cheap enough for a first car while in High School.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:19 AM

I was a kid when the musclecars were in their heyday.... my Dad worked as a service manager at a Dodge dealer; I couldn't wait for September to check out the latest offerings, even though it would be several years before I could even drive. By the time I finally got my liscense in '74, the musclecar era was on it's last legs. It was a big disappointment, but I obviously never lost that passion for the cars themselves. It's unfortunate that the greedy baby boomers got in the act and have been squeezing out the guys like us from the market who have the true love and passion for these cars, because they have the fat bank accounts and want to add a 'toy' to their investment portfolios. Too many of the owners of the most desirable cars nowadays never drive them- they are just watching the values rise so they can cash in on them.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:36 AM

I haven't lost the passion for Mopar Muscle cars since I started driving in '86 and the market goes through cycles. The prices will drop again someday for the average equipped cars, rare 1 of 7 HEMI stuff will never be affordable again. Now is also the best time to finish that 383 restoration that has been put off for years.

Quick Reply: Why are we in love with the Challenger?