Notices
Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going Forced Induction.

(Forced) Induction System Options

Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: (Forced) Induction System Options

Those are partial answers, I was hoping to get more technical details from an engineering perspective.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

1. Thanks that is the correct answer.......there is no air flow thus you cannot just drop a belt.

I had heard of several companies years ago that had an electric clutch and at the flip of a switch could free spool teh supercharger and at the same time open up an inlet for free breatching but I have not heard anybody doing that these days I think because of reliablity problems. If anybody is doing that anymore please let me know.

2. Superchargers are always physically connected to the crank thus they have parasitic drag and therefore hurt fuel economy. Turbos can actually increase fuel economy during normal driving. What you have to watch out for is the incredible eat generated from the Turbos due to the exhaust gases. With a good design Turbos are better for fuel economy during normal driving.

3. Turbos are easier on powertrains than superchargers because they bring on power easier. Turbos usually do not have boost at 2K RPM while a supercharger can have boost as low as 1.5K RPM.
All correct.
BTW - Because the old style superchargers were "roots" types, they did have electric clutches available as you referred to. The new superchargers (being used on most street applications, such as F1's and Paxtons) operate differently and can't be disengaged with an electric clutch.
I might consider a Supercharger if there was a way of turning it off.

You explaination helps me understand why they are not popular anymore but I am not sure why it is technical not feasible.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:19 AM

You can take the S/C belt off, and the car will be able to run(not under normal daily driving conditions) . but like said early it will become really rich and wouldn't perform well at all.

I ran a couple of days with by S/C belt off of my grand prix. The belt broke and being it was a special size (I droped down a pulley size) I had to order a new one. It made the driveability worse as well as the gas milage, but it got me from point A to B.