Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

35-MPG CAFE Could Drastically Alter Detroit's Future Product Plans

Old 12-19-2007, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35-MPG CAFE Could Drastically Alter Detroit's Future Product Plans

35-MPG CAFE Could Drastically Alter Detroit's Future Product Plans

DETROIT — The increasing likelihood that Congress will pass legislation hiking Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards to 35 mpg could have a dramatic impact on Detroit automakers' plans to build and sell large rear-wheel-drive cars.

General Motors Vice Chairman Bob Lutz already has grumbled publicly that higher CAFE standards will likely cause the automaker to tear up a portion of its product plan. More specifically, GM suppliers say several proposed vehicles based on the corporate Zeta platform, including a big sedan for Chevrolet and a performance coupe for Pontiac, could fall victim to the change.

GM, however, appears to be going ahead with plans to build a large luxury sedan for Cadillac and a companion model, a premium sedan for Buick, off the same Zeta platform, which also underpins the new Pontiac G8 and Chevrolet Camaro.

At Ford, development work continues in Australia on a new large RWD platform that is intended to provide a replacement for the Falcon as well as the Mustang in North America. Ford has been considering development of production versions of the Ford Interceptor and Lincoln MKR concepts off this new platform, as potential replacements for the Crown Victoria and Town Car. But tougher CAFE standards could scuttle those two vehicles, suppliers say.

At Chrysler, insiders say the company is studying how best to redesign the big Chrysler 300 sedan, with one proposal said to involve a move away from the current upright, boxy silhouette to a sleeker, more aerodynamic profile in order to enhance fuel economy.

What this means to you: Of course, this doesn't even begin to address the issue of what will happen to Detroit's full-size trucks and SUVs. — Paul Lienert, Correspondent

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=123984

[IMG]local://upfiles/374/E4E29CA027D64C17ACD656CED85CFDF6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/374/7AC005C276794D81B7F1359006DFC676.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Banned

Default RE: 35-MPG CAFE Could Drastically Alter Detroit's Future Product Plans

That Lincoln is just plain UGLY.

On topic, let's hope this doesn't cut the Challenger's run short.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Administrator

you know, there are supposedly "requirements" right now...and most of the cars built in this country dont meet them...this is just another way for the govt to gouge us on "gas guzzler tax"...
Old 12-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Anybody familiar with how ford handled the EPA fuel economy standards with the Crown Vic the first time? Great business study.... gold star for anyone who gets it...

Old 12-19-2007, 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: HeyItsWes

That Lincoln is just plain UGLY.

On topic, let's hope this doesn't cut the Challenger's run short.
I like the concept. Here's the prodution model, its called the MKS. not to be confused with the MKZ (i.e Zephyer):

http://www.lincoln.com/reachhigher/?...Home_20071114#
Old 12-21-2007, 10:02 PM

Actually, Joey, I like both the concept and the production models. And if Dodge dealers want to gouge us on the price of the Challenger, we might as well go ahead and buy Lincolns.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:53 AM

I like them both, but the lines and absrudity of the grill on the concept to me just looks awesome. Who would have thought that the designers had it in them.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

This is not a good thing. Gov't making business more difficult for an industry that is already struggling and already over regulated. I hate the looks of the picture posted of the Lincoln MKS but I'm okay with the picture on the website. I think the biggest mistake Ford could make next would be to make the interceptor. Ford needs to get it in their heads that gigantic pieces of chrome on a flat oval design is UGLY! They need to just bring over the Falcon, it looks good and looks fun. The Crown Vic, Grand Marquire, and Town Car need to die and soon.

I hope that they are careful with how they will restyle the 300. I think they need to look into using a better transmission with more wisely chosen gear ratios for better fuel mileage.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts