Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
0%
45.45%
54.55%
0%
other that i didn't list
0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Battle of the Mopar Small Blocks!

Old 05-21-2008, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battle of the Mopar Small Blocks!

Thanks for piping in Lear... that previous post made me shutter... and to think we would be recommending our children buy hondas or toyotas... no wonder our youth are on the decline as the productive, upstanding pillars of society they potentially could be. Rekindling the muscle era may be thier only hope...
Old 05-21-2008, 05:49 AM

Wow Roswellgrey,

Why beat the kid up for "wanting"?

Old 05-21-2008, 01:31 PM

I'm not "beating up" on the kid, Andre. I was merely pointing out reality. Operating something from the late '60s or early '70s is incredibly expensive, time-consuming and frustrating. That's why, if I were a kid on the verge of taking driver's ed, I would seriously be looking at a Honda or Toyota from the '90s. Like it or not, those cars are built to last, can take one hell of a beating and (if needed) parts for them are readily available -- unlike ANY 35-plus-year-old car. Plus, a '90s car can actually be driven in real life -- unlike a decades-old showpiece you've poured thousands and thousands of dollars into, only to take it to the local "oldies" drive-in when the car club meets once a month because you're afraid to take it out on the streets.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:04 PM

Ok i completely agree with all of you. Roswell wasn't beatin' on me. i completely agree with you, but you just can't blame me for dreaming. this would go into the barracuda. but my dad just doen't want to spend the time and money. I guess we'll just have to go with easy bolt-on horsepower. And yes roswell we young muscle nuts are small in numbers. most kids(and adults) think i'm talking about the charger not challenger. boy if i had a dollar for every time heard that, i could buy a 340! it's the price dodge must pay for not bringing it out earlier. well i'll continute this after school tomorrow.YEAH! IT'S THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL! I CAN BE DUMB NOW.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:30 AM

Well, tdub, you definitely have the right attitude. Enjoy your summer and your youth while you can. Unfortunately, the best part of life -- which you're in -- won't last forever. Unless you're like me, of course -- a professional juvenile delinquent.

Oh, by the way: Even back in the '70s, MOST people didn't know the difference between a Challenger and a Charger. God only knows how many times people referred to my '70 Challenger as a Charger. It never ends.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just spent thousands of dollars on my Challenger and it will be driven on the street Not much point in doing it if you are just going to put it in the garage and dream about driving it. I live in the south and if you want a muscle car you can still get one. Look at the price spent on a Toyota or Nissan and you could be driving a car from the 70s. Are they as easy to drive as a new car... no but we drove them like that all the time and had no problems I say persistance pays off and if you already have the car, then the motor is just a look away. I want to pass on the Hot Rodder tradition. Thats all I've ever been and now it has come full circle and the cars I kept when it was insane to have them... well now I was a smart investor. Not! I just love the V-8 cars of my youth. And when I'm in them I am young again Except for the eye sight and hearing and a aches and pains and... well you get the picture
Old 05-22-2008, 07:28 AM

I'm 16 and drive a 79 Camaro Z28 with a 350 and it is a gas drinker.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

when i was 17 the mirada got its 340, and it was a daily driver (no winters) from 1996 until around 2003. i dont think that its that different from a young kid driving a mustang or any V8 truck...mine gets brutal mileage now, but thats because of the 4.56 gears and 4000 stall...it wasnt too bad on gas with the 3.91s and 2800 stall...which is what the demon has

while it was mentioned that the 340 came with things like great cylinder heads...im running a small valve (1.80/1.67) head setup with a huge cam, and im making enough power to push a 3700lb car to 12.40 @ 108mph...

the 340 is hands down the best chrysler small block.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:45 AM

the 340 in my challenger sucks down some gas pretty good
Old 05-26-2008, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing you need on a old Challenger to get better mileage is an overdrive system of some kind. Tremec 5-speed or an overdrive system on the 727. Then a nice fuel injection system for the 340 with an MSD and high energy ignition. Ill bet the mileage would increase by a nice amount. But these cars will be driven hard and not babied so gas mileage is expected to suffer. I believe with the old set-up I was in the 15 MPG range.

Quick Reply: Battle of the Mopar Small Blocks!