Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   CAMARO PRICING LEAKED! (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/camaro-pricing-leaked-4987/)

kevin2323 10-12-2008 07:29 PM

CAMARO PRICING LEAKED!

dodge has its hands full if this news is true come tomorow morning.

base v6=300hp 22995
base v8=430 hp 400+lb of tq 30995$
0-60 in 4.6
http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrole...o-ss-2010.html

we are in trouble boys....

davecpa 10-12-2008 07:32 PM

RE: CAMARO PRICING LEAKED!

it is still ugly [:'(]

kevin2323 10-12-2008 07:37 PM

as i said before we are in trouble boys lol

RoswellGrey 10-12-2008 09:06 PM

ORIGINAL: kevin2323

base v6=300hp 22995

Yeah, I'm gonna run out and trade in my SE for a car that starts at $1,000 more and is ugly. Realistically, who cares if a 6-cylinder car has 250 or 300 horsepower? You don't buy a 6 for street racing, unless you're nuts or 16 years old. ;)

Justinec101 10-12-2008 09:17 PM

Well I haven't seen one in person yet but damn, only $1000 more for 300hp, it costs 26k to get that out of the mustang. Plus chevy's got a nicer selection of colors for V6 buyers, none of this special edition plum crazy crap.

Stop sitting over at GM working on mergers and convince me to buy your car, Dodge!

Realistically though I can see them dropping the price of the challenger or at least seeing some damn good deals on them at dealers once this car hits. I hope they've got something up their sleeves.......

RoswellGrey 10-12-2008 09:24 PM

It will be interesting to see if GM follows through on its president's promise that the Camaro will not be sold for more than MSRP. If that happens, sales of Challengers will dry up until the greedy Dodge dealers start getting hungry.

MrKrisSullivan 10-12-2008 10:49 PM

sorry but this is my intial reaction... Holy sh!*... lol... and O.M.G. [:-]

BLK 6050 10-13-2008 06:44 AM

Bottomline...........It's still a Chevy, no matter what the price is....

mopar2ya 10-13-2008 06:47 AM

According to: http://www.motorauthority.com/chevro...-at-22995.html

General Motors has set the price of the base LS 2010 Chevrolet Camaro at $22,995 (including shipping costs), with dealers commencing pre-order sales today for delivery early next year. The V6-powered LS will be competing against the likes of the Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger, but at $22,995 it is the most expensive of the trio. The Challenger undercuts the Camaro by $1,000 at $21,995, and the base Mustang V6 is the cheapest at $19,735.

This base LS gets a 3.6L direct-injection V6 rated at 300hp (224kW) and 273lb-ft (370Nm) of torque, as well as a dual exhaust system, 18in steel wheels, Onstar Safe & Sound, XM satellite radio, Stabilitrak electronic stability control, six airbags, and a six-speaker stereo all fitted as standard.

Pricing for the V8-powered SS, meanwhile, has been set at $30,995 (including shipping), and once again is the most expensive of the Detroit 3 muscle car trio. A V8-powered Mustang will set you back around $28,000, while the Dodge Challenger with a HEMI V8 starts at $30,990. The SS gets a 6.2L LS3 V8 rated at 422hp (314kW), as well as heated leather seats, 20in wheels, a premium Boston Acoustics nine-speaker stereo, Brembo brakes and a limited slip differential.
Guess we will just have to see what real world pricing adds up to. Still haven"t seen a good break down of base models and what options will add to final pricing...

Justinec101 10-13-2008 09:30 AM

"Pricing for the V8-powered SS, meanwhile, has been set at $30,995 (including shipping), and once again is the most expensive of the Detroit 3 muscle car trio."

That's a pretty misleading quote. Yeah if all you want is a V8 and you don't care how much hp it makes the camaro is the most expensive, but they basically just skipped the mid-level V8 unlike Ford and Dodge.

kevin2323 10-13-2008 11:54 AM

yea because they are banking on selling high volume of both and if they put a mid level v8 it wouldnt work....

RUBBERBNDMAN 10-13-2008 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: davecpa

it is still ugly [:'(]
[sm=exactly.gif]

Yankee 10-13-2008 03:33 PM

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey
sales of Challengers will dry up until the greedy Dodge dealers start getting hungry.
Actually, that's precisely what I'm banking on. ;)

Furthermore, I actually think it's kinda sad that for $30,995 you can get a 422 hp 6-speed Camaro when it's (at least) 10 grand more to get a similar 425 hp Challenger SRT, plus it's a few hundred pounds lighter.

But I still want one - and like Roswell said, hopefully the new Camaro will gin up enough interest that Dodge dealers will FINALLY drop their greediness and actually start dealing. THEN, and only then, I'll be ready to get one.

kevin2323 10-13-2008 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Yankee

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey
sales of Challengers will dry up until the greedy Dodge dealers start getting hungry.
Actually, that's precisely what I'm banking on. ;)

Furthermore, I actually think it's kinda sad that for $30,995 you can get a 422 hp 6-speed Camaro when it's (at least) 10 grand more to get a similar 425 hp Challenger SRT, plus it's a few hundred pounds lighter.

But I still want one - and like Roswell said, hopefully the new Camaro will gin up enough interest that Dodge dealers will FINALLY drop their greediness and actually start dealing. THEN, and only then, I'll be ready to get one.

wow yankee can you clone yourself 1000x and make all of your clones sign each one up to this forum... you my friend understand.....

MrKrisSullivan 10-13-2008 08:51 PM

I agree all the way Yankee...
I said before that they should be able to put this Challenger out for less... It's kinda Ironic we had this discussion one time about a few months ago and everyone thought the Camaro was going to be as much or more than the Challenger... Well, well how times have changed, huh?
It's exactly what i've heard and read about in the past with the pony car wars... the Challenger was a "rich boy toy"... My girls pops has said that several times... I think thats the reason he never liked them... Even though when this retro version came out he was complementing it so much... But now I know how he felt 30 something years ago... It truly is a "rich boy toy"... I love my Hemi, I love my truck, I love Dodge.... BUT.... for 30k I can stand next to 'VETTES... Still look pretty bad-ass
I've got the new gen. LS3... which the LS2 was fregging bad... So hmmm LS3??? Wow even I thought they wouldn't put the LS3 in the Camaro SS... I thought they would stick the LS2 in it... So all that chatter I used to bring up about S/C's on the R/T and Stroking the R/T... LOL.... How about a S/C on an LS3???? Can you say ZR1... I'll be tearing new a-holes in everything for less than a BRAND NEW SRT.... I've got MOPAR in my blood, but this isn't the MOPAR i've come to love... sorry but it's so damn true... Im really truly haveing an incredibley hard time with this and hate to say it but now its 50-50...
P.S. I love fast cars... everyone I work with knows that... I've put the Challenger on a petostool... Like one kid said at work "Don't go to the dark side"... Well, like I said a second ago.... I like fast cars...

kevin2323 10-13-2008 09:03 PM

haha I know how you feel khris....

trev 10-16-2008 08:48 AM

I'm not stressing about this, chevy just solidified the chally as the rich mans car then, we're luxury stat in the modern muscle word then

so not only are we better looking, but we have more class and style haha

thanks for making me look good GM!

MrKrisSullivan 10-16-2008 08:14 PM

ummm that's my point TREV... it's been the rich mans car since 1970 really, I just never really wanted to beleive it...
Well I want a performer and yes the SRT's are performers but at a high cost really...
To Andre's quote... im getting the same thing you are but for less... If they would make a stripped down version of the SRT without the mygig and leather, and theres some other stuff you could do with-out, I'd be all over it you can get a loaded SS for 35k and one that is I guess more of a "base" for 31k just doesnt' have leather and some other "conveince" things you don't need, just junk to raise the price of the car...IMO... Stuff you would only use once or twice...
I still want a Challenger... just seems like Chevy has the car for me, right now at least...

kevin2323 10-16-2008 09:23 PM

fair argument...

Carbon 10-16-2008 10:05 PM

Looks like a Chick car.
they should have put the 69 grill on it like one the other concept car had.

kevin2323 10-16-2008 10:09 PM

yea...that is exactly how i look at it carbon...

but since looks are personal preference i understand khris' argument. To him the camaro looks just as good as the challenger and is less expensive with better performance than the top model challenger. so i understand him completely.

as for me I thought about changing my mind about 20 times already but everytime i look at the challenger I cant resist it and that is why I am getting one.

lear4406 10-16-2008 11:30 PM

Rich mans muscle car...1970 Challenger. How old are you guys? Were you even born in the 70s? Try 442 olds, Buick WS6. Pontiac Trans-am, These were the high dollar muscle cars of the 70s:D As far as if you want a less expensive car then go for it. A man has got to know his limitations:) I looked at the title in this post and it said"leaked". So heres to fantasy. I'd really wait until it hits the dealers to see what the price is and then do your crowing. Hope to meet a few of you really fast Camaros around my way. If not in my 2009 SRT-8 top of the line, over priced Challenger and under powered for the dime. Then my 70 will have to do and I aint scared:D

kevin2323 10-16-2008 11:37 PM

4k for a challenger in the 70s was pretty expensive but it was the best lookin of the bunch imo....(including the shelby gt500 fastback which i love)

RoswellGrey 10-17-2008 02:35 AM

ORIGINAL: lear4406

If not in my 2009 SRT-8 top of the line, over priced Challenger and under powered for the dime. Then my 70 will have to do and I aint scared:D
Don't even waste the fuel in your 70. That would be like unleashing hell on earth. The 09 can easily dispatch any modern competition. ;)

lear4406 10-17-2008 03:10 PM

The reason the Challenger is so well thought of as a muscle car from the 70s (Cuda included) is it came with a big block that was easily accessable. They designed it to fit in the E-body pony cars. COPO Camaros were rare as were Yenkos. Big block Mustangs were rare and a pain in the butt to do the simplest of tune ups on. The R/T Challenger had a choice of big blocks 383, 440 and 6-packs and if you dared 426 King Kong motor. But as few as they made of Challengers and Cudas there were more big blocks available in these machines. If you were a Chevy guy you would need a Chevelle or bigger to get one. Ford guy... try Torino or Fairlane. The 302s and 350 Camaros were no match for a big block Challenger. Mustangs with 302s and 351s could not compete with the big blocks of the e-bodies. There is nothing wrong with the engines that Ford and GM put into their pony cars, they were legendary. But stock small block pony cars could not out drag the stock big blocks that the E cars had. And the big block Camaros and Mustangs were far and few between. More likely to be seen on the big boulivards than on any street USA. It was the best of times and the bestest of times:D

RLSH700 10-17-2008 03:29 PM

And what's the surprise? GM was intending this to be a higher volume car than Chrysler as that is Chevrolet's strategy, yet the profit margin is generally small. Considering we are in a slow down, this could be a risky strategy for GM to attempt. I made the point years ago and I will make it again.

Ford=Chevrolet

Pontiac=Dodge

Chevrolet doesn't = Dodge

Ford & Chevrolet are volume divisions, Dodge isn't a volume division. That was Plymouth and it is gone now partly because of how much volume determines success in the modern economy. Dodge is a more premium brand than Chevrolet or Ford; therefore, this doesn't surprise me. Also remember that the Challenger is larger than either of these cars. That is part of the reason behind the cost. The looks to me define the reason for purchasing a car. If I wanted fastest acceleration time for the price and looks being forgotten, I'd get a turbo I4. The Camaro may very well be faster and cheaper for what you are getting; however, remember this. When the Camaro was discontinued. It was a better bargin and faster than the Mustang, but it and it's twin sold less than half of the Mustang's sales combined. There is more to a car muscle car than power and price, it is also about looks. The Mustang GT was quite a bit slower than the Z28 and Formula and the Cobra was still a bit slower for a higher price, but the Mustang won because it was more livable and better looking. Looks close the deal.

Also, again why is anyone surprised. This is precisely what GM does. They wait until everyone else shows their hand, then they adjust theirs to be the "best." The followers strategy cannot lead. It simply doesn't work.

MrKrisSullivan 10-20-2008 07:53 PM

Well lear im 23, but my girl's pops has told me that a few times about it being a rich mans hot-rod... He's 60, he builds hot-rods so i'll take his word over just about anyones... And when you compare the prices and performance against the Camaro it does kinda resemble that... A "Rich mans toy"... I didn't really mean to offend anybody just point something out that's all... I've said recently if they'd make an SRT Challenger with a cloth interrior and a standard stero with CD, without that MyGig and Bluetooth waste of money... I'd be all over it if they could price it right...
Most of us agree that the R/T is the better bargain than the SRT...Soo... You can buy an SS for just severl hundred more than an R/T... and there's really no comparison...That's what im thinking about really long and hard... My mind isn't 100% made up yet but im leaning away from the Challegner... Im going to wait till the end of the model year and see what happens with rebates...

RoswellGrey 10-21-2008 01:31 AM

ORIGINAL: MrKrisSullivan

Well lear im 23, but my girl's pops has told me that a few times about it being a rich mans hot-rod... He's 60, he builds hot-rods so i'll take his word over just about anyones... And when you compare the prices and performance against the Camaro it does kinda resemble that... A "Rich mans toy"... I didn't really mean to offend anybody just point something out that's all...
Well, he MIGHT have meant the Challenger was a rich-man's hot rod compared to the Barracuda, since Dodge was a more premium brand than was Plymouth. But a rich man's hot rod? I had a 70 Challenger. Believe me, if I had anything, it definitely wasn't something that only rich men could afford. I'm 53, by the way. ;)

kevin2323 10-21-2008 03:09 AM

it wasnt the rich man muscle car...it just happened to be more expensive than the others.... but muscle cars have always been lots of hp for a bargain.

BLK 6050 10-21-2008 05:52 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin2323

it wasnt the rich man muscle car...it just happened to be more expensive than the others.... but muscle cars have always been lots of hp for a bargain.
It wasn't a rich man's muscle car, but some of the options seemed to be...such as the Hemi which was almost $1,000.00..a lot of money back then for basically a de-tuned racing engine that was hard to keep in top tune. My 70 Challenger 440 RT/SE had every option but sunroof, rear spoiler, or Dana. Had everything else such as cruise control, power windows, steering, brakes, top of line AM/FM stereo, Auto, AC, rear window defroster, 6-way seat.....this car more than likely sold for close to $5,000.00, new..a lot of money for a "muscle car" when Lincolns and Cads were in the same price range! However, while most Challengers came better equiped than most Camaros...my Challenger was the exception to the rule as most were not loaded with this many power robbing options.
The 70 Challenger came late to the came and Dodge offered everything they could to help sales....you could have it your way...for sure...cruiser or racer...
**Also when I was in High School you could find bargin muscle cars on the back row of used car lots...I may have missed the performance years...but I got to buy what others quickly grew tried of, and at a great price....
***It was truly the best of times to be into performance cars........................

MrKrisSullivan 10-21-2008 07:59 AM

The 70 Challenger came late to the came and Dodge offered everything they could to help sales....you could have it your way...for sure...cruiser or racer...
^^^
See I like that statement right there... The only problem is this time around they tried to take the racer (SRT) and make it fully optioned... Those are the several thousand dollars that I can't and won't spend...
I mean lets be serious here the difference between 30k and 40k is a whole lot, and even over 5 years it's still a lot...

BLK 6050 10-21-2008 08:40 AM

^^^
See I like that statement right there... The only problem is this time around they tried to take the racer (SRT) and make it fully optioned... Those are the several thousand dollars that I can't and won't spend...
I mean lets be serious here the difference between 30k and 40k is a whole lot, and even over 5 years it's still a lot...
Times are very different from the 70s...a street racer from the factory has a limited market...No car company is going to try and sell a car marketed at street racing.....I remember the heat Ford took for one of their printed adds that showed a group of young guys hangin in a garage with their new Ford (whatever it was) surrounded by speed parts. The S- hit the fan, as people said Ford was promoting street racing! The Challenger was sold as a performance car with the looks of the old muscle car....not a street racer. It was targeted at a larger customer base, which means adding all the goodies to make everyone (well most everyone) happy. The 08 was always going to be a "Limited Edition" with all the goodies....If people have a problem with that....then buy an 09 RT with less options and a lower price tag..
I guess I am missing the point of why the negative towards the SRT...sure it carries a high price tag but I could say the same thing about a few high level foreign super cars I would love to own...but am unwilling to pay the price of admission....It all comes down to what's best for YOU, and what YOU can afford...same as the 1970s..........

MrKrisSullivan 10-21-2008 11:06 AM

what im saying is I want the 6.1 I just don't want to pay for leather the sound packages and an upgraded stero... you could make a case for the SRT wheels too, what if they had a delete for that???
Why do I have to buy an R/T 5.7 to not get leather... This car isn't a Corvette right??? [&:]

BLK 6050 10-21-2008 12:20 PM

what im saying is I want the 6.1 I just don't want to pay for leather the sound packages and an upgraded stero... you could make a case for the SRT wheels too, what if they had a delete for that???
Why do I have to buy an R/T 5.7 to not get leather... This car isn't a Corvette right??? [&:]
I guess I could make the case that things were the same back in 1970 (to a point);
In order to get leather seats, you had to order the SE package...but what if you didn't want the small back window? To bad (although a few "regular" Challenger got leather without the SE package...but they were exception as that was not suppost to be the case....just like the four Superbirds with power windows) And, you had to take a vinyl top as part of the package.
In order to get the HEMI, you had to accept the Dana rearend and heavy duty suspension as part of the package (dumb not to, but just another case of having to take something else in order to get what you want).
I am sure that there are other examples, but hopefully you can see what I mean.
There are many "Package Car" offered by the various car manufacturers that have options not available
on "regular" models...the 6.1 is offered on the SRT package only...and that's the way Chrysler wants it...it's their top engine and they want it in their top model.
You had to order an SS Camaro to get a big block back in the day...it's the same thing..I know it doesn't help you get your 6.1 in an RT...but...that's life. And there is hope for you, even if it's small...you can delete the hood decal...perhaps other "deletes" will be allowed in the future (if there is one for the Challenger). The best course of action would be to make friends with someone at Chrysler and talk them into allowing you to do what you want.....but good luck on that one...
(**This is all just my two cents, ok maybe ten cents....not trying to be a jerk or anything.......)

roadagent 10-21-2008 12:22 PM

if all you care about is performance for the buck then get the Camaro like a few other people have already said.I went with the Challenger becuase when I first saw the concept IMMIDEATELY FELL IN LOVE with it,wayyyyyyyyyyyy before any talk of power train and options.I wanted and bought this car PURELY for its looks,the engine,suspension,stereo and whatever other goodies it has are just a bonus.If Chrysler had only planned to offer a 6cyl like the Prowler I still would have gotten it.

What I'm most curious about now though is service and parts.My sister texted me this afternoon saying the merger of GM and Chrysler is official and they're planning to liquidate Chryslers assets.How is this going to affect all Chrysler owners,and what if anything is it going to do to the value of the limited edition cars like the '08 SRT Challenger,Daytona Charger,Momba Viper?

BLK 6050 10-21-2008 01:03 PM

ORIGINAL: roadagent

What I'm most curious about now though is service and parts.My sister texted me this afternoon saying the merger of GM and Chrysler is official and they're planning to liquidate Chryslers assets.How is this going to affect all Chrysler owners,and what if anything is it going to do to the value of the limited edition cars like the '08 SRT Challenger,Daytona Charger,Momba Viper?
Paladin....meet you at the next JB event........let's bet the rush....

BLK 6050 10-21-2008 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: roadagent

I went with the Challenger because when I first saw the concept IMMIDEATELY FELL IN LOVE with it,wayyyyyyyyyyyy before any talk of power train and options.I wanted and bought this car PURELY for its looks,the engine,suspension,stereo and whatever other goodies it has are just a bonus.

Same here.........I wanted a Challenger....Actually, I was going to wait for the RT, as the 6.1 and it's performance were not a big concern for me (but now glad I have the SRT)...but wife said let's go for it....so we did.

MrKrisSullivan 10-21-2008 01:51 PM

Actually, I was going to wait for the RT, as the 6.1 and it's performance were not a big concern for me
^^^
Well I guess im just s- out of luck then... Only chance would be to wait for one of the first used ones...
It's really too bad that this is a "package" car... there should be more ways to add and delete opitons on the SRT... It's like SRT stands more for the interrior of this vehicle than anything... wheels and stickers... SRT should be about PERFORMANCE...
I want to pay for Performance more than "accesories"

lear4406 10-21-2008 03:01 PM

I guess Dodge sells in package for safety reasons. Buy a more powerful motor... you need better brakes and suspension. Rear end and trans has to hold up too. After that I think with the power windows and my gig, leather and sound system should be delete or drop down in premium sound. But when it comes to performance it should be a package deal. For the very reasons I've posted. But the R/T is a viable and very capable of being a real nice alternant to the SRT-8. I have no problem with the Camaro being a car that someone would buy, its that I am buying a Challenger and this is a Challenger forum. So you might actually have some folks speak up in defense of the car they chose.:D I wanted a lot of really nice cars back in my youth and I had to wait on used car prices to afford these machines. but today I can afford a new Challenger and that is the car I will get. I could care less if it is a tick slower. As a matter of fact I like Camaro owners to think that when they see my tail lights. My car will not remain stock very long. And as I have stated, we have not seen any real world Camaro facts because they are not on the street yet. So all this talk is speculation, Challenger is here and we can get it if we have the coin. Camaro is a few months away and the talk will only get louder as the hype starts. So lock and load boys, its going to get ugly in here.:D

MrKrisSullivan 10-22-2008 04:16 PM

Ok fellas you guys are absolultly nutz!!!! I love cars...PERIOD... and what a lot of you guys are saying about the HEMI is freaking lame bro's... Sorry I have to stand up right now...
Have any of ya'll heard about the 6.4 392ci HEMI that was supposed to come out in the Challenger but will probably be nixed??
It puts out just over 500 hp... yep a 6.4 HEMI!!! Cranks out as much to the wheels as the beloved and bloated Z06 Chevy LS7 motor...
Someone please tell me now how can you DISS THAT!!! LMAO...
Ouch!!! it burns... Yeah there not the true original HEMI of old but a 392 smashing just as much as a 427 hmmm.... effeicecy...maybee...yeah...
I JUST PUT THIS UP ON THE CAMARO FORUM THEY WERE HATIN' HARD ON THE HEMI.... MAN I HAD TO DEFEND IT... I THINK THERE JUST SCARED OF IT...