Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Charger Police Cars

Old 11-27-2007, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Charger Police Cars

Pennsylvania has two 90's Mustangs, a coupe and a convertible. I've seen the same trooper driving the convertible for several years and asked him about it once. He said they're both drug siezure cars, and all they ever use them for is to go around and tell kids how bad drugs are. A noble mission, to be sure, but I wonder if he ever gets frustrated never really getting to use the thing?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Is it replete with spinners, a dope sound system and "crazy mad" bling accoutrements? The convertible I mean...

Old 11-27-2007, 10:20 AM

FYI - Mass. State Police have a C5 Corvette that I've seen out on the roads. Fortunately I've been lucky enough to avoid it altogether! Also, the Wayland, MA Police Dept. have a considerable amount of new Chargers as part of their fleet.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy

They probably went with the sedans because of some silly stigma or concern over IMAGE. That is the exact same reason they would opt for a Challenger, simply because it'll look tough. I'm not saying they'll have ton's of 'em...but I'd be surprised if there weren't more than a few across the nations PDs or state police.

You're point is absolutely valid, the most practical vehicle would have been the Magnum, but they didn't opt for it.

Think about it, why would they purchase HD's over Honda's or some other more reliable bike? They get Harley's because of image I would venture.
Skippy, your misunderstanding the point. The police simply like sedans better than coupes because they are more functional for their purposes. During the late 90s-02 the Camaro was by far the fastest police package. the acceleration times were about 5.9 secs on the police version 0-60 run and the top speed was about 159mph. The Camaro suppsively was less expensive than the Crown Vic whos acceleration times were in the 8 sec range and the top speed was between the mid 120 to low 130 range, yet it sold very few units.

Will there be at least 1 or more Challengers used by the police? I'm sure they will, just don't expect an offical police package is all I'm saying. It would be an excellent undercover cop vehicle as no one will suspect a Challenger just as most people still don't suspect Chargers like they suspect Crown Vics since it is newer to the market. There are some police stations that have used Cadillac Escalades in the past and we know that the Escalade does not come in a police package.

There have been other station wagons used as police interceptors, in fact I've seen a few Caprice wagons of the last gen Caprice, but they were not popular enough in recent years to use let alone offer an offical package and things haven't changed. The police simply like sedans better for some reason. Also the use of an SUV seems to be favored probably for those times they have to chase someone down a backroad.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not missing the point. Your point is crystal and totally valid. Four door sedan is much more practical. Further to your point, the Wagon is even more of a good thing, but they like the sedan (probably allows shotguns and other such goodies to be locked away - that and the fairly expensive video recording apparatus).

I'm not disagreeing with you, I doubt Chrysler will offer a Police Challenger package too, but I can't wait for some affluent or lucky (confiscation) PD to roll one up into an intimidating precision machine of Law Enforcement; the kind Beaufort T. Justice would be proud to captain!

Old 11-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Banned

The FHP (FL Hwy Patrol) use numerous undercover Chargers for speed enforcement. They are all silver R/T's.

The cop on the Harley uses LAZER [:@] then the Charger is the chase car.

BTW The cops hate the Chargers. I work very closely w/ West Palm Beach PD. They got a few test chargers to try out. The cops hated them for not handleing and lack of room compared to theCrownVics.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I've heard is good things about the Charger Police cars. As far as handling. IRS (independent rear suspension) for the Charger and solid axle for the Crown Vic. I don't know what Cop you talked to, but he must love Fords. The Charger is in a league by itself when it comes to handling. The Cop you talked to must have hemroids and wants a cushy ride. So is it the softer ride of the Vic or the excellent handling of the Charger? And the Charger has faster excelleration and superior braking. I'm not sure if it has cup holders as the Vic and an easy clean up of donut crumbs
Old 11-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy

I'm not missing the point. Your point is crystal and totally valid. Four door sedan is much more practical. Further to your point, the Wagon is even more of a good thing, but they like the sedan (probably allows shotguns and other such goodies to be locked away - that and the fairly expensive video recording apparatus).

I'm not disagreeing with you, I doubt Chrysler will offer a Police Challenger package too, but I can't wait for some affluent or lucky (confiscation) PD to roll one up into an intimidating precision machine of Law Enforcement; the kind Beaufort T. Justice would be proud to captain!

Okay, I see what your saying now. Your not talking about a package, but an undercover cop type situation. I doubt that you would see Beaufort T. Justice in a Challenger as he seemed to prefer Pontiac LeMans and Pontiac Parisienne. Perhaps he would fit better in an Aztek in terms of attractiveness of the car Beaufort T. Justice would drive.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

You guys are funny and must be real old to know Beaufort T. Justice.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

You guys are funny and must be real old to know Beaufort T. Justice.
As old as dirt! LOL! Or just a big enough fan of movies with interesting car chases.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: Charger Police Cars