Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Charger vs. 300c???

Old 04-22-2008, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charger vs. 300c???

so i've been looking up the times for the SRT's and I'm having a really hard time figuring out which one is faster of the sedans. Who here would like to give it a convincing shot. Or are they so much alike in the powertrain that there isn't a difference at all, just the same results from different cars and different people. [&:]
Old 04-23-2008, 03:09 AM

Default RE: Charger vs. 300c???

ORIGINAL: MrKrisSullivan
there isn't a difference at all, just the same results from different cars and different people. [&:]
That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:13 AM

I always thought they would be really close or the same.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Administrator

it is literally the exact same car with a different body kit. the 300 might have slightly nicer interior and trim, but NOTHING to add any performance difference between the two.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:41 PM

thanks. So who here really thinks the challenger will be faster? Considering what we've learned from the the first two SRT's.
Does anyone think the R/T Challenger with the 380hp 5.7 will be able to compete closely with the sedans? If not do you think all you really need is a better induction and exhaust to compete with an SRT? Just thinking hard....
Old 04-24-2008, 06:19 AM
Administrator

keep in mind that both mopar mags and non-mopar mags have found that the 6.1 makes more than the advertised 425 hp at the crank.

if you compare a 6.1L auto challenger to a 6.1L auto charger/300, the challenger should be a bit faster for a few reasons.

1. a slightly shorter wheelbase will generally result in more wheel horsepower. the greater distance that power has to travel, the less power makes it to the wheels.

2. it weighs slightly less. every pound will help, so even the slight difference should give it an edge.

3. the charger rt in RWD has a 3.06 gear ratio. the challenger RT is listed to have the option of either 3.73 or 3.91 gears. (the srt8 comes with the same 3.06 ratio with the auto trans and a 3.91 with the manual) this is a huge difference. going from a 3.06 to a 3.73 or 3.91 will make a tremendous difference, and with EVERYTHING else being equal, this will make the challenger faster.

4. the manual transmission option will almost always make two otherwise equal cars react differently, with a big advantage going to the manual transmission car, when well driven. i would guess that with the 380hp 5.7L engine, a manual transmission, and 3.91 gears, the challenger RT will give the charger srt8 a heck of a run. the slight difference in weight and wheelbase, along with the bigger gears and manual transmission could very likely make up the power difference between the new 5.7 and the 6.1.

again, this is all conceptual.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:12 AM

thanks for the insight man. Im really thinking about jumping back on the wagon I know i've been questioning a lot lately but you have to if your goning to pay 30k for something, you know. There's no way I can afford to buy an SRT. I love my 03 4x4 Single cab Ram with a HEMI so to that I'd love to move into a car with the same promise. I'll prolly be going for the auto though. But that's really really good to hear that they'll offer 3.73 ratio cause the 3.06 just seems small. All of this and the whole lifetime warranty dodge is offering on there vehicles except SRT's of course. It's going to be a stretch cause I really need to stay in the 25-27k maybe 28k range. But it'll be worth it in the next 5 years Im thinking. I've forgotton about the GOAT, I just thought for 25k what I'd be getting would be tremendous. I'll take 6 years if I have to for the Challenger.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Administrator

if you dont mind my asking, what did you pay for the ram? it couldnt have been cheap...are you keeping that, or trading it?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

keep in mind that both mopar mags and non-mopar mags have found that the 6.1 makes more than the advertised 425 hp at the crank.

if you compare a 6.1L auto challenger to a 6.1L auto charger/300, the challenger should be a bit faster for a few reasons.

1. a slightly shorter wheelbase will generally result in more wheel horsepower. the greater distance that power has to travel, the less power makes it to the wheels.

2. it weighs slightly less. every pound will help, so even the slight difference should give it an edge.

3. the charger rt in RWD has a 3.06 gear ratio. the challenger RT is listed to have the option of either 3.73 or 3.91 gears. (the srt8 comes with the same 3.06 ratio with the auto trans and a 3.91 with the manual) this is a huge difference. going from a 3.06 to a 3.73 or 3.91 will make a tremendous difference, and with EVERYTHING else being equal, this will make the challenger faster.

4. the manual transmission option will almost always make two otherwise equal cars react differently, with a big advantage going to the manual transmission car, when well driven. i would guess that with the 380hp 5.7L engine, a manual transmission, and 3.91 gears, the challenger RT will give the charger srt8 a heck of a run. the slight difference in weight and wheelbase, along with the bigger gears and manual transmission could very likely make up the power difference between the new 5.7 and the 6.1.

again, this is all conceptual.

Something you have to remember in the equation are the gear ratios in the transmission that will be used with the Challenger. IF the 3.73 or 3.91 gears were to be used with the W5A580 automatic transmission, it would be a hug difference, the only thing though is that this is going to be with the TR-6060 which has different gear ratios. The TR-6060 has a first gear ratio of 2.97 while the W5A580 has a first gear ratio of 3.59. What this means is with the 3.73 axle ratio which the Challenger R/T is supposed to have with the TR-6060, will translate into about a 3.08 axle ratio with the automatic's gear ratios. Now in comparison to the R/T versions of the Charger have an axle ratio of 2.82 so this will still be a significant improvement over the Charger in gearing as well as a 20-35hp & 8-14 ft-lbs of tq boost for the R/T. Now for the SRT versions, the axle ratio on the manual versions is 3.91, which would translate into about a 3.23 axle ratio with the automatic's gear ratios, which again is still a significant improvement.

Then there is also the case that the earlier gear ratios are closer together to keep it in its better powerband. On the automatic, the W5A580 jumps from 3.59 (1st) to 2.19 (2nd) which is a pretty big jump, meanwhile the TR-6060 goes from 2.97 (1st) to 2.10. What this means is when you shift from 1st to 2nd, the rpms won't drop as far and you will more than likely be able to keep in the peak range of the hp and tq which is right where you want it.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-24-2008, 12:01 PM

I picked up my Ram new in 04 (even bought it on my birthday ), it stickered for $31K, got it out the door for $25K and some change - it's a QC Hemi with the Big Horn package. I was all set to trade it in on a new 2500 Cummins this summer... but with the price of diesel, that idea has been indefinitely shelved - I'll stick with the Hemi!

Quick Reply: Charger vs. 300c???