Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Cheap Gas Prices

Old 05-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cheap Gas Prices

ORIGINAL: 70sguy

Regular unleaded is $3.71 here in NE Florida, weather has been great, could use a little rain though.
I'd gladly give you some of mine if I could. I was wanting to take a walk this evening but couldn't thanks to this icky weather.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 05-14-2008, 07:32 PM

Gosh I hate seeing $3.83/gallon here in Seattle. While it may not be a joy, it is what it is and no sense to fret over it.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: kramtrah

Gosh I hate seeing $3.83/gallon here in Seattle. While it may not be a joy, it is what it is and no sense to fret over it.
That is what I have come to the conclusion. Getting upset over it won't lower the fuel prices. I'm just glad I will be able to use the Metrolink over driving.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 05-15-2008, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Kramtrah, my sentiments exactly. Getting worried over it ain't gonna bring it down. Alternative fuels (read competition) will bring it down.

I like the Chrysler Turbine engine, it would run on any flammable fuel. The problem was harnessing the power from it in a deployable fashion.

If it were at all efficient, hook it up to an electrical generator and run the car off of electricity produced from the turbine engine.

Get all the greenies driving these types of car, the demand for petrol goes down, and the price w/ it. I'd be the type to have an electrical car in the garage and a car that drinks gallons of gas just to warm up.

Billionaire was echoing a sentiment earlier that totally rings true. The muscle cars aren't the problem, it's every other car consuming the fuel on a day to day basis.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: DSkippy

Kramtrah, my sentiments exactly. Getting worried over it ain't gonna bring it down. Alternative fuels (read competition) will bring it down.

I like the Chrysler Turbine engine, it would run on any flammable fuel. The problem was harnessing the power from it in a deployable fashion.

If it were at all efficient, hook it up to an electrical generator and run the car off of electricity produced from the turbine engine.

Get all the greenies driving these types of car, the demand for petrol goes down, and the price w/ it. I'd be the type to have an electrical car in the garage and a car that drinks gallons of gas just to warm up.

Billionaire was echoing a sentiment earlier that totally rings true. The muscle cars aren't the problem, it's every other car consuming the fuel on a day to day basis.
The problem with the Turbine engine is that it didn't get very good economy and there are few fuels that are cheaper to use in an engine than gas. The reason why Gas was used in the first place was its low cost because it was a waste product at the time.

The reason why having the environmentalists driving "green" cars (because they cost you more green in the long run), is the rising demand from India and China is alot to blame for the higher fuel prices. The other issue is lack of domestic production and regulations.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 05-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

True that. Open Alaska, Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic off the coast of FL. More gas, less green for the gas!

Old 05-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: DSkippy

True that. Open Alaska, Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic off the coast of FL. More gas, less green for the gas!
And it would be produced through more "environmentally friendly" rules and regulations than it is being done in other countries. Everybody wins this way.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 05-15-2008, 04:58 PM

I am waiting for the reaction of all those folks who own Priuses when it comes time to replace their batteries and it costs them a couple a grand for a 5-10 year old car. Or, would you want to buy a used one in that time frame if you knew the batteries were soon to fall by the wayside. Toyota states that they don't have to replace them that often and they are expected to last the life of the car, but what indeterminate number is that. Toyota does say: " The only replacement batteries sold--at the retail price of $3000--have been for cars that were involved in accidents"
Old 05-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: kramtrah

I am waiting for the reaction of all those folks who own Priuses when it comes time to replace their batteries and it costs them a couple a grand for a 5-10 year old car. Or, would you want to buy a used one in that time frame if you knew the batteries were soon to fall by the wayside. Toyota states that they don't have to replace them that often and they are expected to last the life of the car, but what indeterminate number is that. Toyota does say: " The only replacement batteries sold--at the retail price of $3000--have been for cars that were involved in accidents"
The thing that blows my mind about that is how often do you hear about people complaining about batteries going out prematurely due to hot weather, acid, and other problems, and they want us to believe that this will not happen. They should be careful about mentioning this considering the results of what happens after an accident and the fact that this could easily total the car out in the view of the insurance company's eyes. It simply doesn't make sense to me.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 05-17-2008, 02:31 AM

I dunno. Right now, batteries are sounding better and better. Tonight, I put in $40 worth of gas in the Mustang. I got 10.88 gallons. I had been thinking about getting two 6-cylinder Challengers. Now, it's more likely I'll get 1 6-cylinder Challenger and 1 Honda Civic.

Quick Reply: Cheap Gas Prices