Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
Ford Fusion
9.09%
Jeep Grand Cherokee
36.36%
Jeep Liberty
18.18%
Other
36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Decision 2008 (for the next car)

Old 02-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision 2008 (for the next car)

It's that time again. Time for a new car. I know that this is going to surprise some of you that have been here from the beginning but I'm not going to be getting a Challenger for a couple years. I'm waiting until I hit the magical 25 yrs old mark before I get a Challenger for insurance reasons as well as waiting for the prices to go down and hopefully a more powerful engine than the 6.1L. The other issue is that I do not intend to use the Challenger as a daily driver. Unlike last time, this isn't as easy for me to make a decision as there isn't a single car that is a perfect fit when considering the criteria. The car primaries are over and the dropped candidates are the Dodge Avenger R/T based on the insurance and small trunk, plus being inexperienced (first year model, not enough criteria to judge whether the new transmission and other things are bulletproof), the Dodge Charger based on its price if I want to eventually have a Challenger (which we all know I do) and insurance, Nissan Altima as it is only FWD and I want AWD/4WD plus I hate the interior, Ford Taurus (where to begin) still is ugly, now feels too floaty, too expensive I just don't like it, and many others that would take all day to list.

Here is what I have narrowed it down to so far and here is my thinking on each of them:

1. Ford Fusion (if they drop in the 3.5L Cyclone which rumor says will happen for 2009): This will probably shock most of you but here is my reason. My uncle is retired from Ford and has the employee discounts that he told me he can give me for this. The exterior is not my favorite, but it isn't so bad that I can't stand it either. I do like the interior. The space on the cabin is roomy, the fuel mileage should be similar to my Intrepid with AWD. The trunk fits within the size range that I will consider. The reputation for these cars is good so far.

2. 2002-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (engine undecided): My cousin has one of these and although I was at the time skeptical as these do not have the best reputation for reliability on electronics, the powertrain appears okay based on what I know at this time. The 4.0L is bulletproof and feels okay with the power it makes. I'm thinking about considering the 4.7L because of a lot more power, the 5-speed automatic, and similar fuel mileage, but I'm not convinced as I'm crazy about the 3.7L made from this engine. I don't like the new ones near as much and I'm not paying $27K for a basic vehicle.

3. 2005-2006 Jeep Liberty (CRD): I have driven these and liked them pretty good. I'm thinking about the fuel economy advantage of the CRD plus CRDs tend to last longer than gas engines. The problem is they are rare. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not a fan of the 3.7L engine so I'm not sure if I want it.

Do you guys have any advice, or cars I haven't thought of yet? (note: before someone suggests a Mustang with my uncle's discount, I already have driven one and it just isn't me. I liked the 94-04s better and besides that I'm not interested in having two pony cars. I have to do some long distance traveling and I want something comfortable for those occasions besides the fact that I want one car to have either AWD or 4WD.)

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-28-2008, 04:44 PM

Default RE: Decision 2008 (for the next car)

I would go with the Liberty CRD.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:50 PM

I would go Cherokee 4x4.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: DK challenger

I would go Cherokee 4x4.
Are you saying the Jeep Cherokee (that was discontinued in 2001) or the Jeep Grand Cherokee?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-28-2008, 05:31 PM

as much as I hate to say it with the love I have for a wonderful Mopar, at this time in your young life with no great American sub compact, I would suggest the Toyota Corolla. It isn't a scream, but maintenance, gas and longevity until you can afford a challenger will allow you to save a few bucks to put towards it too.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: kramtrah

as much as I hate to say it with the love I have for a wonderful Mopar, at this time in your young life with no great American sub compact, I would suggest the Toyota Corolla. It isn't a scream, but maintenance, gas and longevity until you can afford a challenger will allow you to save a few bucks to put towards it too.
I appreciate your opinion. The issue is I need more room than a Corolla has to offer. I also really want AWD this time.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-28-2008, 06:38 PM

Go with the Grand Cherokee. I bought a 93, the first year available, and I'm still driving it. I have never had any mechanical problems with it, although you will surely hear others have. I think you will enjoy it, great in bad weather and useful for hauling if necessary.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:42 PM

The toyota rav4 and honda CRV, Pilot, Element, are also AWD drive. RLSH700, Awdreport.com has decent reviews on AWD drive cars.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:02 AM

Just curious if you looked at a Caliber. I've never been in one, but know a couple folks that have one, and the overall reports have been positive. They have pretty good space and utility, and are pretty decent performers (so I'm told). Would save you some $$$ over your SUV choices as well.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:09 AM

I really like the Jeep Wranglers, I realize they are not exactly practical but I think for a single person with no family this is a great vehicle. I had a Wrangler as my first car and it was bullet proof. I really beat that car and it came back for more every time. I have been considering getting another one. I am waiting to see if I can get a lease extension on my Crossfire to last me until the '09 Challengers come out

Quick Reply: Decision 2008 (for the next car)