Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
Ford Fusion
9.09%
Jeep Grand Cherokee
36.36%
Jeep Liberty
18.18%
Other
36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Decision 2008 (for the next car)

Old 02-29-2008, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Decision 2008 (for the next car)

Holy cow, you're not even 25 yet? I never would have guessed. Good god I feel old... [&:]

Anyway... if AWD is a must, have you considered perhaps a slightly used AWD Charger or Magnum? I realize they might be a bit pricey still, but a V6 model shouldn't cost much more than an AWD Fusion, even with your family's discount.

If I had to choose one of your choices, I'd probably be inclined to go with the Grand Cherokee, even though they are a hit-and-miss when it comes to reliability - I've known some that absolutely love them, I also know some that swear they're the biggest POS ever made... so if you go the GC route, select very carefully. As far as a Liberty, I guess there's nothing really wrong with them, just never been a fan.

BTW... when did they ever make an AWD Intrepid? My parents bought an Intrepid new in 2000 (still have it), I thought I knew those cars pretty well... I've never heard of an AWD option for those.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:08 AM

I'd say Liberty. Never cared for them at first but they've grown on me I guess. How about the Patriot? I think they're sharp and a little roomier than the Liberty. If it were me I'd go with a used Charger 3.5 or Intrepid. Intrepids are selling very reasonable and the last few years were pretty much bulletproof although again I'd get the 3.5.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

RRUNNER, I thank you for your advice. Which engine do you have btw, the 4.0L or the 5.2L?

joeyr, I thank you for the site and your suggestions. When it comes to SUVs, I'm very loyal to domestics and I don't like I4 SUVs, but thank you for your recommendations otherwise.

TeeWJay426, I thank you for suggesting it, but the problem is the transmission choice (or lack there of). They only offer the CVT2 with the AWD version of the Caliber and although I know I would have the lifetime warranty that would cover the reliability issues, I have never liked CVTs. On top of this, the fuel mileage is pretty bad for an I4 and it has no power. For the price tag, I could get a Nitro for about $1K that is faster and has more room.

66Cuda, I thank you for your suggestion, the problem with me having a Wrangler is something I must have forgotten to mention. I sometimes take long trips and its nice to have not only something that gets better than 20mpg, but also something that is good for traveling in the comfort category.

Yankee: LOL! Thank you, I've always been told I'm very mature for my age. My reservation on getting an LX car (Charger/Magnum) AWD used is I don't know enough about the AWD system they are using to know how well it will hold up later on down the road without a warranty. On top of this, I don't know enough yet to make a judgment call on the MB transmission that is used on all LX model AWD systems. Although this will surprise some people to hear this, I like Chrysler's transmissions because I know they are reliable as long as you properly maintain them, the MB unit I haven't seen enough cases to make a judgment call at this time. If you know of any cases where people have put in excess of 100K on these systems, please let me know how it turned out good or bad. The other problem is the insurance. The insurance rates on the Charger are quite expensive. I doubt I would get a Magnum as I don't really care for those, but if the price is right, you never know.

What problems did the people with Grand Cherokees have when they had them? I've already eliminated the Quadra-Drive models based on issues I read magazine editors complain about when the model first came out. Do you have any advice on what to look for or to avoid when searching for one.

No, I must have just typed things in a way that was confusing. There was never an AWD on the Intrepid (unfortunately). It is only now that they are starting to offer AWD on some of their cars.

deranged: I thank you for your input. The Patriot will probably not do it for me because the lack of a V6 option, though I will probably test drive one of them as long as they have a manual option with the 2.4L (as I listed earlier that I don't like CVTs). I did test drive a 2004 Intrepid SXT and it was quite different from my 1997 in ways I'm not sure if I like quite as well. I never did like the second generation Intrepids as well as the first generation Intrepids. The other problem is finding one. So many of them are SE models and as you know, that has the 2.7L only (which you all know I hate with a passion) as in the second generation was when you had to buy a trim package if you wanted the next level engine unlike my current Intrepid that is a base model with the 3.5L over the 3.3L. Finding Intrepid ESs, SXTs, and R/Ts are hard to find. If I was going to get another LH car, I would just get a 300M. They have the full 250hp output version of the 3.5L on all models (except the Special which actually has a 255hp version of the 3.5L but I don't like that version anyways as the seats are uncomfortable, it gets worse fuel mileage, insurance is higher, and the interior is not as good), the insurance is actually cheaper than the comparably equipped Intrepid, the interior is a world nicer, it looks better than the second generation Intrepid in my opinion, etc. The only thing stopping me is I would like to have AWD or 4WD this time as the area t

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-29-2008, 02:11 PM

For an AWD vehicle have you considered the Mercury Milan? I know, its a mix of Mazda, Fusion and whatever else is the Ford parts bin but I think its all around nice sedan for the price. Not bad looking as well.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: MGDMike

For an AWD vehicle have you considered the Mercury Milan? I know, its a mix of Mazda, Fusion and whatever else is the Ford parts bin but I think its all around nice sedan for the price. Not bad looking as well.
Well the Fusion and Milan are the same so a vote for one is as good as a vote for the other. I prefer the Fusion as the Milan suffers in my mind from this elderly and feminine image in my mind as most people that I know who own Mercury products are women who are senior citizens. I really liked the Fusion/Milan that I test drove, hence the reason it is on my list. It being part Mazda doesn't really bother me as I like Mazda. The thing that it will have to have in order for me to get one is, they will have to offer the 3.5L Cyclone as I do not like the 3.0L Duratech. I appreciate your input.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-29-2008, 03:58 PM

I never thought of the Milan as a "chick" car.... but you'll look pretty in it![sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 02-29-2008, 06:42 PM

RLSH700,

I have the 4.0L, it gets around 17mpg combined and 21 highway. Like I said, no mechanical problems and very few problems of any kind.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

I never thought of the Milan as a "chick" car.... but you'll look pretty in it![sm=smiley20.gif]
LOL! Oh but are you sure the interior matches the color of my eyes? I just don't know any one my age who owns any Mercury products other than the 99-02 Cougar and all of them are girls. I just don't know any guys who own Mercury products. To me Ford is more intended for the male audience and Mercury is more intended for women.

RRUNNER, how many miles do you have on it now? 17 combined, 21 highway is certainly reasonable. I trust the 4.0L for sure as I know lots of people who have Jeeps with that engine. Mudding is very popular in this area and I know many people who run Jeeps with that engine, literally in the ground. Good old cast-iron design. How does the power feel to you?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-01-2008, 04:38 AM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

LOL! Oh but are you sure the interior matches the color of my eyes? I just don't know any one my age who owns any Mercury products other than the 99-02 Cougar and all of them are girls. I just don't know any guys who own Mercury products. To me Ford is more intended for the male audience and Mercury is more intended for women.

RRUNNER, how many miles do you have on it now? 17 combined, 21 highway is certainly reasonable. I trust the 4.0L for sure as I know lots of people who have Jeeps with that engine. Mudding is very popular in this area and I know many people who run Jeeps with that engine, literally in the ground. Good old cast-iron design. How does the power feel to you?

It was my wife's car for many years and since she works from home she didn't put a lot of miles on it. It currently has 123K on it, not many for a 15 year old car, but it still runs great. It's not big on power but not bad either. You probably need to test drive one to see if it has the kind of power you need, but it's fine for me.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: RRUNNER

It was my wife's car for many years and since she works from home she didn't put a lot of miles on it. It currently has 123K on it, not many for a 15 year old car, but it still runs great. It's not big on power but not bad either. You probably need to test drive one to see if it has the kind of power you need, but it's fine for me.
I've driven my cousins and I can't really tell. I might have to drive one for a while in different conditions before I make a call for sure on it.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: Decision 2008 (for the next car)