Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Engine Build Up

Old 03-10-2008, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Build Up

ok i got a 1979 chevy 350 small block ive got a lunati cam for it but i want 2 put some more bang into it ive puting it in a 87 monte carlo that i got givin to me for doin some work for a guy. he had a fuel injected 350 and a 350turbo with a shift kit in it that him and his friend rebuilt in high school about 15 years ago and he wanted to keep them both. ive had this motor a LONG TIME and havent done anything with it and i have an old four speed i'll probolly put into it

but really im asking what would you guys do in my situation i got about 500$ to spend on the motor and i have a cam and a dress up kit and i'd like some more power for it, this car if for fun only i might take it out on the weekends to tear up the town but thats about it. ive thought about boring it, fuel injection, polishing the heads and bout everything so id like your opionon on the deal if you have ANY segestion please shear.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Default RE: Engine Build Up

so you already have the cam?

the engine is carbed right now?

i would recommend headers and exhaust, and if that has been dealt with, possibly carb and intake. i would recommend heads, but i dont think that youll be able to get a complete head setup for under 500 bucks, although im not real familiar with the SBC prices.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:06 PM

i have a set of headers givin 2 me but their old, but they work, but there for a truck so i dont think they'll work but i my cuzin built exhaust for his 5.0 and said he'd help me with them but when it come 2 mufflers and all that good stuff im just goin 2 run stright pipes with 12in glass packs with dumps comin off the headers

but now when it comes to carbs I AM LOST i have NO idea what cfm's i should run because i'd like to be able to drive it around town on friday nights but also be able to get u and go in a hurry
Old 03-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Administrator

do you know the specs on your cam?

i run a camaro site with some guys who have ALOT of experience with SBCs...you want to make sure that your carb is ideal for your situation, and not get a carb for what "everyone runs".

the address is www.CamaroForums.com

look in the older camaro sections and ask for a carb recomendation.

i would be surprised if the headers for a truck chassis will fit the car...but headers for an sbc are literally a dime a dozen...thats the beauty of the 350..its one of the most common, and the cheapest engine to build in the world...
Old 03-10-2008, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Match the carb the best you can. Too many people go too big on the CFM. Intake choice makes a lot of difference as well as vacuum secodaries or mechanical. Rear end gear and stall converter for an automatic. On a 350 chevy with a mild high lift short duration cam I'd stay around 600-650. Then jet up or down accordingly. Dual plane is best for a mild street use with 3:55 gears or higher. If you go with a wild cam and good heads and single plane with gear 3:91-4:56 and stall of 2800 or better then a 750 CFM works real well. But most cars for the street only need a warm up to allow them to be enjoyed on the street. Myself i try to keep things smooth.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:09 AM

i really have no idea what duration my cam is set at the guy already had the cam put in and never drove it, and i really don't think he'll be able 2 remember wat it is
Old 03-11-2008, 06:16 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: lear4406

Match the carb the best you can. Too many people go too big on the CFM. Intake choice makes a lot of difference as well as vacuum secodaries or mechanical. Rear end gear and stall converter for an automatic. On a 350 chevy with a mild high lift short duration cam I'd stay around 600-650. Then jet up or down accordingly. Dual plane is best for a mild street use with 3:55 gears or higher. If you go with a wild cam and good heads and single plane with gear 3:91-4:56 and stall of 2800 or better then a 750 CFM works real well. But most cars for the street only need a warm up to allow them to be enjoyed on the street. Myself i try to keep things smooth.
interesting that you do like the single plane intake...ive done with one in the past and my bottom end suffered, and i went back to a dual plane.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:13 AM

mstrueby, i also nave a 87 monte carlo and i am putting a LT1 corvette engine(350) in it. I am putting headers, 650 cfm carb., new intake, and possibly stroking it, thats what i'm doing if it helps any.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad Mirada I chose the single plain because of the traction issues on the street and occasional 1/4 mile pass. Lose a little on the bottom and pick it up on top... where traction isn't the problem. I have a 292 degree cam and 3:91 gears with a 2800 stall converter. The cam should come alive at 3000 to 6500 RPM or at least thats what I'm thinking I will be able to test this theory and if it does not pan out a nice 6-pak will be installed. You are right about the bottom end being a little sluggish. I plan to launch at 2500 and hope I have good enough tires to hook, after that it should be in the power range after every shift. I might even toy with a 125 shot of racers edge
Old 03-12-2008, 06:45 AM

im lookin at flat top pistions cause i hear they up the power so much but stock pistions are almost flat already so do thy realy make lots more power

Quick Reply: Engine Build Up