Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Ford Mustang GT500KR priced at $79,995

Old 05-01-2008, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Mustang GT500KR priced at $79,995

Ford will be producing 1,000 GT500KR Mustangs this year, with another 700 in 2009, so FoMoCo is pricing the ultimate 'Stang accordingly. For $79,995 (including destination and gas-guzzler tax), you get everything included in the "standard" GT500, plus Ford Racing's Power Upgrade Package, which includes a new exhaust and a recalibrated ECU to push out 540 hp and 510 lb.-ft. of torque from the supercharged 5.4-liter V8. The only options on the ordering form are a Shaker 1000 stereo, Sirius satellite radio and a navigation system. Ford hasn't disclosed fuel economy numbers yet, but we doubt anyone willing to drop $80k on a blown V8 is troubled by topping off their own KR with $4.00-a-gallon premium. Get your orders in now; sales begin later this month.

Don't forget to check out Part 1 and Part 2 of our First Drive: 2008 Shelby GT500KR if you haven't already, as well as the galleries below that contain a number of high-res images begging to be your next desktop wallpaper.

Hit the jump for the full press release and a video of Mr. Shelby talking up the GT500KR and its history.

Gallery: First Drive: 2008 Shelby GT500KR

Gallery: First Drive: 2008 Shelby GT500KR Part 2

PRESS RELEASE

FORD SHELBY GT500KR: WORLD-CLASS PERFORMANCE FROM THE MOST POWERFUL PRODUCTION MUSTANG EVER

The 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR is the new "King of the Road" – the most powerful production Mustang ever produced, thanks to a 540-hp supercharged 5.4-liter V-8 with 510 lb.-ft. of torque.

The 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR is the new "King of the Road" – the most powerful production Mustang ever produced, thanks to a 540-hp supercharged 5.4-liter V-8 with 510 lb.-ft. of torque.

New GT500KR blends performance engineering expertise of Ford SVT, trackside learnings from Ford Racing Technology and ingenuity of Shelby Automobiles to deliver world-class handling and performance. The Ford Shelby GT500KR arrives at select Ford dealerships in late May.

Long live the King! The 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR, "King of the Road" assumes the throne, taking its rightful place as the ultimate American muscle car.

The GT500KR builds on the already impressive stats of the Shelby GT500, with 40 more horsepower, an additional 30 foot-pounds of torque and an array of chassis, aero and weight-reduction measures to offer world-class performance. Engineered by Ford SVT with final assembly by Shelby Automobiles, it blends track learnings from the Ford Racing Mustang FR500C and the ingenuity of Carroll Shelby to deliver the ultimate in Mustang performance.

"Every new Shelby Mustang renews my energy and passion for performance," said Carroll Shelby, founder of Shelby Automobiles. "I'm just as excited about the 2008 KR as I was when I developed the first one. The team has done a great job with this car. It is this is truly the best Shelby Mustang we've ever built...so far."

The Shelby GT500KR is the latest in a royal lineage that spans more than 40 years, beginning with the 1965 Shelby GT350 and including the original 1968 Shelby GT500KR that provided the inspiration. Carroll Shelby has played an active role in the development of every one.

"When the names Mustang and Shelby come together, the results are never anything less than amazing," said Robert Parker, Ford Car Marketing manager. "Mustang has earned an endearing place in America's hearts, topping the sports car segment for 22 straight years. The GT500KR is sure to get those hearts pumping even faster."

Delivering the Ultimate in Mustang Performance

Just like its 1968 namesake, the 2008 Shelby GT500KR builds on the strong foundation of the Shelby GT500. Ford and Shelby designers collaborated to channel the classic KR design cues and finesse them into the iconic lines of the new Mustang. Most noticeable are the modern interpretation of the distinctive, sculpted KR hood and classic Le Mans-style striping.

The development team spent countless hours designing
Old 05-01-2008, 01:50 PM

Default RE: Ford Mustang GT500KR priced at $79,995

WOW at 80K Ford / Shelby must think this thing cures cancer. Its a 5.4L with fancy bolt ons. The only thing that will sell this is the limited production, and Unlimited funds.

MOPAR or no car.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:56 PM

Anyone who was interested in this in the first place didn't care how much it was going to be anyway.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Here's an article from Popular Mechanics.
[quote]
April 29, 2008

2008 Mustang Shelby GT500KR Test Drive: Does Ford’s 540-hp Monster Live Up to Limited-Edition Hype?
Mustang Shelby GT500KR

SALT LAKE CITY — Say what you will, but the association between Carroll Shelby and Ford’s Mustang has been a long and profitable one. Now the 2008 Shelby GT500KR marks the newest flagship in that 40-year run of limited-edition iconic rides, with 1750 units headed to production at a fairly staggering $79,995—and that’s before dealer premiums. But it will be the most powerful Mustang ever to hit the dealership. We wondered which of the Shelby faithful would subject his $80,000 toy to the rigors of a track day near here on the West Loop of Miller Motorsports Park’s impressive facility—and found out that it wasn’t likely to be many. —Barry Winfield

The Specs
By most powerful we’re talking a 540-hp supercharged 5.4-liter V8, with max torque upped by 30 lb-ft. to 510. Most of that performance increase comes from a new cold-air inlet system isolated at the front of the engine bay under an elaborate new carbon-fiber hood, and from revised engine-control calibrations.

The power increase is abetted by a shorter rear-axle ratio (3.73:1), and the combination produces sprints to 60 mph in 4.3 seconds, and quarter-mile times of 12.1 seconds, according to Ford’s SVT performance engineering division. Accompanying the invigorated drivetrain is a thoroughly revised chassis. Spring rates were increased 17 percent in the front and 7 percent in the rear, while anti-rollbar rates were slightly reduced.

In the process of recalibrating the chassis, all-new shock valving was developed for the Tokico dampers fore and aft, and the front axle’s geometry was revised to increase the camber and set the toe to zero. The SVT team insists that some of the suspension changes were demanded by the car’s revised aerodynamics. Because SVT wanted better front-end stability, they fitted a prominent carbon-fiber splitter to the restyled nose, moving the center of pressure nearer the front, and closer to the car’s center of gravity.

Despite the mini tail spoiler seen on the new KR, rear downforce was actually reduced. The result, says SVT, is a more balanced vehicle. The final step was to persuade the tire suppliers at Goodyear to find a new tread compound for the 18-in. Eagle F1 rubber. Actual wheel and tire sizes remain the same as on the Mustang GT500, at 255/45ZR18 front and 285/40ZR-18 rear, but a small winged-foot emblem on the sidewall signals the stickier formulation, along with a lower wear rating.

Now with unique handling characteristics, the KR required a different set of ABS calibrations to put the 14-in. Brembo brakes and four-piston calipers to best use. So the engineers revised those control algorithms, too. In keeping with its overtly sporty appearance and performance, the KR is fitted with a short-action gearshift mechanism, which increases the effort required to shift gears, but abbreviates the movement necessary to do so. The stubby gear lever is topped with a perfectly simple white ball.

The Drive
Before testing the new GT500KR, we expected most aspects of its conduct to be somewhat hefty in nature. But in truth, only the clutch and shifter have manly weighting. The ride is surprisingly compliant for such a well tied-down heavyweight (3900 pounds), and the steering effort has entirely tolerable levels of effort.

So steering the car isn’t a problem, but driving it really smoothly in stop-and go conditions isn’t as easy, since the clutch take-up is hard to finesse with the strong return pressure urging your foot off the pedal. Once you’re underway, the KR smooths out somewhat, and you can begin to appreciate the muscular engine—not to mention the Shelby’s muscular exhaust note (a deep, staccato bark) and the supercharger scream (muted but manic).

There’s plenty of torque at low revs, and thus no real need

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 05-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Administrator

there is also a GT500 Super Snake, that costs an additional 28000-32000, with either 600 or 725 horsepower...
Old 05-01-2008, 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

there is also a GT500 Super Snake... either 600 or 725 horsepower...
Huh... [8D]

That's a lot of ponies...

Ebay auctions look to be closing in the $98k to $110k range... [sm=insomnia.gif]
Old 05-02-2008, 06:41 AM
Administrator

the original 1967 super snake is still the highest hp factory backed mustang, until the new super snakes come out...
Old 05-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

For that price I would get a Viper instead.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't know what to say... A lot of money for a Mustang. I know I know its a Shelby, but really isn't that much quicker. You also get handling and thats a plus and stopping and thats good too. But a 08 Viper would be in the price range and maybe less with dealer markup. I'd buy the Viper. But if your true oval blue, then this is your car. But not for the masses. Can't wait to see what a 6-speed SRT-8 Challenger can do. Not as good as the KR-500, but not as costly either.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

If I had the money and got a Ford, I would buy the Ford GT40 Mach II version from www.superformance.com .
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Quick Reply: Ford Mustang GT500KR priced at $79,995