Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Future Collectibility Rant

Old 12-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Future Collectibility Rant

ORIGINAL: joeyr

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![sm=admin.gif][sm=exactly.gif][sm=icon_ladiesman.gif][sm=thanx.gif].

But I cant blame them, In my household we never had a performance vehicle. Anything that was considered sporty was equated with high performance. So a sporty civic can be like a muscle car to them. I dont think there is anything wrong with having a civic, its nice, affordable, safe, fuel efficent, etc. And to mod one (with more than a exhaust and a intake), is admirable, but it just seems strange to me. Too many people have them, I want something unique.
We really haven't had any performance vehicles either. The Intrepid is pretty much the most performance focused vehicle we had. The reason why I say this about Civics is that they take an average looking car and make it look gawdy, sound terrible, and do pretty much nothing to help it in the performance department, then I hear these people go and trash my car saying it is a piece of junk and is no match for their fast Civic I get tired of teaching these air heads a lesson. They need to spend less money and time on making their cars look gawdy and spend more time studying cars so then they will learn that adding this junk does NOT make the car faster.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-12-2007, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

RLSH700, Right on Dude. I refer to them as fart cars. I find nothing wrong with tuners as long as folks have produced a rice burner w/ some cajones; but I take exception to the application of some pimp tint, a dopey chain saw sounding stove pipe looking exhaust and nothing my unmodded little econbox can't handle.

As for people looking to invest in cars as a financial vehicle; BJ shows people having success, but I agree with the sentiment that the biggest ROI on a car should be visceral experience and that deep rich baritone resonating from the pipes, the company of your father/son/wife as you go out for a long drive without distractions and just hang BS no distractions (computers, 1000 channels on TV, house projects, etc).

Mine will not be a daily drive (I would find it impractical to incur 30000 miles a year). It will come to work on sunny Fridays and it will take the family out on drives from time to time. It'll be used just enough to get therapeutic value out of and to keep running in good condition. Maybe haze the tires from time to time!

Old 12-12-2007, 03:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned my 71 Challenger since 79 and my 70 GTX since 81. I bought these cars because they were affordable and powerful. I kept them because they were affordable and powerful. And a blast to drive everyday. I would always get the MPG question and when you don't make a car payment, you have money for gas. They were easy to work on and you could beat on them and they would hold together. I drove them the way they were built to be treated. But they had the oil changed every 3000 miles with good old 20w-50 and a nice tune up every 25000 miles or when a plug fouled Now that I have kept them, I get the reply... man you were smart to hang on to those gas hogs, they are worth a mint. But they were practical for what I needed and I had fun every time I went out in them. They don't hit the streets every day now, but when the weather is nice and I feel the need to exceed, I hit that distictive Chrysler starter whine and its on Keep it on the road, thats what I say... have fun in them and let someone else figure out what its worth when I lick all the red off the candy. I think you can't put a price tag on the enjoyment you will get when you drive them.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:57 AM

In defense of the rice rodders, I wonder if the street rodders of the 50s got the same complaints we're giving the rice rodders now? (Why on earth would you want a Model T???) Some of you more experienced members may be able to answer that one.

While I would never even buy one of the cars they're modifying (let alone spend that much money on one), as the newest facet of the hobby I have to give some respect to ones that are well done.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Good point Plum70rag. I often think these are the kids tweaking they're rides and driving them irresponsibly like my dad did back in the dizzy. I was speaking more to the ones who don't get any more ponies out just more noise and goofy crap strewn about their rides. If they have a fast car...they have a fast car and that's good.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy

RLSH700, Right on Dude. I refer to them as fart cars. I find nothing wrong with tuners as long as folks have produced a rice burner w/ some cajones; but I take exception to the application of some pimp tint, a dopey chain saw sounding stove pipe looking exhaust and nothing my unmodded little econbox can't handle.

As for people looking to invest in cars as a financial vehicle; BJ shows people having success, but I agree with the sentiment that the biggest ROI on a car should be visceral experience and that deep rich baritone resonating from the pipes, the company of your father/son/wife as you go out for a long drive without distractions and just hang BS no distractions (computers, 1000 channels on TV, house projects, etc).

Mine will not be a daily drive (I would find it impractical to incur 30000 miles a year). It will come to work on sunny Fridays and it will take the family out on drives from time to time. It'll be used just enough to get therapeutic value out of and to keep running in good condition. Maybe haze the tires from time to time!
Thank you! LOL! That's an interesting name, maybe I'll have to refer to them as that as well in the future.

I think I will probably drive my Challenger on the same days and occasions.

Plum70Rag, I have respect for the one's that have actually modified them power wise, but I don't have respect for is people who just do over done visual effects with nothing done to the engine then act like their so tuff and better than anyone else. It just doesn't look right and I don't care for their attitude (especially since they logically have nothing to back up that attitude).

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-12-2007, 11:23 AM

I only live 5 miles from work so mine will be a daily driver. Lots of show no go here 5" tacs, window post extingishers and 90HP ROFLMAO I will love rolling up next to them. We do have a lot of sleepers here also I respect them all the money in drive train.
Not sure how many changes I will be able to make due to fact I am going for the non SRT 5.7 and the life time warrenty. Have to see what all I will be able to do without voiding warrenty.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Rich Knapp

I only live 5 miles from work so mine will be a daily driver. Lots of show no go here 5" tacs, window post extingishers and 90HP ROFLMAO I will love rolling up next to them. We do have a lot of sleepers here also I respect them all the money in drive train.
Not sure how many changes I will be able to make due to fact I am going for the non SRT 5.7 and the life time warrenty. Have to see what all I will be able to do without voiding warrenty.
Well, good luck to you on that. I hope that turns out well for you.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-12-2007, 12:06 PM

I rushed in on my 04 GTO and wished i waited a bit after the 05's cam out.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Rich Knapp

I rushed in on my 04 GTO and wished i waited a bit after the 05's cam out.
That is why I'm not necessarily in a hurry to buy the first one that hits the floor. I think some more updated and more significant engine offerings will be found in the Challenger before long and at a lower price.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: Future Collectibility Rant