Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Hitlist: top five movie car chases

Old 10-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitlist: top five movie car chases

We had a similiar list before, but this also talks about Bud Ekins, the motorcycle jumper in The Great Escape.

Hitlist: top five movie car chases

The stunt world stood still earlier this month after learning that Bud Ekins had died. Ekins, 77, was the grandfather of stunts so in the great man’s honour we present the five best movie car chases of all time

The French Connection (1971)
With Gene Hackman at his ice-cool best this brooding New York cop drama always had the makings of an Oscar winner, and it’s never better than when Hackman’s character Popeye Doyle commandeers a Pontiac LeMans and hares off after an elevated E-train driven by a hitman. Reputedly the only chase scene ever where some of the action was filmed “for real”.

Bullitt (1968)
It was Ekins himself at the wheel when Steve McQueen’s Ford Mustang went airborne during the mind-blowing chase in this seminal cop flick set on the streets of San Francisco. Ten minutes of cinematic majesty that took three weeks to film.

The Bourne Identity (2002)
Michael Caine and company had shown us exactly what happens when you take a Mini to Europe in The Italian Job, and this homage in Paris was arguably even better. It’s nice to see a British Leyland Mini outrun France’s finest of course – even a posse of gendarmes on motorcycles can’t pip Matt Damon’s spy.

Vanishing Point (1971)
Barry Newman is hired to deliver a magnificent Dodge Challenger from Denver to San Francisco, but when he decides to do it in record time the mother of all car chases ensues – one lasting pretty much the entire film.

The Blues Brothers (1980)
Touted at the time as the most expensive car chase ever, Jake and Elwood’s flight from the law is a lesson in cinematic excess. Director John Landis had to get special permission from the Federal Aviation Administration for the chase’s “car falling out of the sky” bit.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:25 PM

Default RE: Hitlist: top five movie car chases

One of the most overlooked chase scenes (probably because it doesn't involve any American cars), but still one the best - Ronin, a 5-series BMW vs... now I can't remember what the other car was (was it an Audi? Might have been some French car - anyone know?). This came out in 1998 and has Robert DeNiro - if you can overlook the fact that it's a foreign movie, it's worth seeing just for the 20-minute chase scene alone.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Yankee

One of the most overlooked chase scenes (probably because it doesn't involve any American cars), but still one the best - Ronin, a 5-series BMW vs... now I can't remember what the other car was (was it an Audi? Might have been some French car - anyone know?). This came out in 1998 and has Robert DeNiro - if you can overlook the fact that it's a foreign movie, it's worth seeing just for the 20-minute chase scene alone.
It was either a renault or peugot
Old 10-13-2007, 08:05 PM

I just looked it up, it was a Peugot
Old 10-14-2007, 02:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about Roy Schieder in the 7-ups. He drives a Pontiac Ventura (NOVA sister). Not a bad little chase scene.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:40 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Bullitt (1968)
It was Ekins himself at the wheel when Steve McQueen’s Ford Mustang went airborne during the mind-blowing chase in this seminal cop flick set on the streets of San Francisco. Ten minutes of cinematic majesty that took three weeks to film.

I knew he rode the motorcycle and layed it down that Steve McQueen swerved onto the dirt shoulder to avoid and I know that Steve McQueen did most of his own stunts so that is news to me.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:44 AM

ORIGINAL: lear4406

How about Roy Schieder in the 7-ups. He drives a Pontiac Ventura (NOVA sister). Not a bad little chase scene.

That is the best Car Chase that I have ever seen and I have seen quite a few and I am Steve McQueen's biggest fan so it must be good if I didn't choose Bullitt lol. Also, one of my favorite movies that always gets over looked and especially gets over looked for Car Chase movies is McQ with John Wayne and a 1973 Brewster Green Trans-Am. Trust me, worth checkin out.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I remember that. The British guy says to John Wayne, you can't take it past 2800 RPMs or something like that. Very good chase scene. Did Dan Blocker play in that movie or am I remembering wrong.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:41 AM

I still think Dirty Mary Crazy Larry should be right up there.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:47 AM

Another good one is the Robert Mitchum classic, "Thunder Road" -- aside from the fact that in the scenes in which Mitchum is supposed to be driving a 1950 Ford, the car sometimes is a '49 and sometimes a '50 (they're easy to tell apart because the '49 had F-O-R-D spelled out across the front of the hood and the '50 had a triangular insignia in that spot instead).

Quick Reply: Hitlist: top five movie car chases