Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Hood pins

Old 02-23-2010, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I saw that as well, not a big fan where they mounted them either. I had looked at the stick ons but with our cold weather I couldn't see them staying on too long here, so I opted for the real pins, I have the Danko set, however the problem I've run into is I like the pins I have with this kit they are rounded at the top, but I don't like the flat hood plates, I want the raised hoodplate like oem with the rubber grommet underneath.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by BLK 6050
I too plan on using "real" hood pins at a later date and I will be mounting mine more like the 70 Challenger (closer to the front corner of the hood). I really don't care for hood pins that are mounted farther up the hood as they just don't look right. (If you look at race cars, most have them mounted very close to the edge of the hood). As Canadiancanuck stated, I am going to mount a bracket under the black plastic rad cover to get the placement and look I want.
I just can't get into the look of "fake" hood pins on a muscle car, and when the hood goes up...looks very funny and loses the entire effect.
By the way, in the April 2010 issue of MCG they show real hood pins that Mopar plans on releasing, but they are mounted to far up on the hood. Hopefully, they will change the design and offer them with a bracket for mounting them closer to the front corner of the hood. We'll see......

I totally agree that the real ones would be much better. Unlike you guys I just don't have a big enough pair to drilling 10 holes on the hood.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:08 PM

^ hahahaha, I'm not to easy feeling in this either but when it's done right, it looks killer, I'm looking at getting it to a reputable body shop, pay extra but it's done right.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by canadiancanuck
^ hahahaha, I'm not to easy feeling in this either but when it's done right, it looks killer, I'm looking at getting it to a reputable body shop, pay extra but it's done right.
I am considering the same as taking a drill to my Challenger tends to bring on anxiety, even though I'm one of those who measures six times then drills (or cuts)...........I did it many years ago on my old Charger, but with the new Challenger.....better to pay upfront rather than pay later to fix what's been done.....
Old 02-23-2010, 03:42 PM

I had to order another set of pins this afternoon, I found a set of the rounded hood plates so I'm going to mix and match the locking lanyards from my current pins and the hood plates from the other set, I found them on afterthoughts auto, both sets.

can't wait I'm hoping to get this done before srpingfest.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:35 AM

Be sure and post pictures of the completed install. And, if you make any brackets...perhaps you could supply the measurements for the rest of us who plan to do the same mod......

Good Luck.....
Old 02-24-2010, 07:22 AM

already ahead of you, I plan on taking pics from start to finish, measurements of hole, placement etc etc. kit part numbers and where I got them from.

info and pics are always good to have,
Old 02-24-2010, 12:02 PM

Thanks for thinking about us..........you are the man.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:05 PM

I'll start this, and if I am in any relm of breaching any forum rules with vendor names, please let me know and I will make changes:

I purchased 2 pin kits from www.afterthoughtsauto.com

Kit #1 - SS-41 - $34.95 (Bought this kit for the locking pins and coated lanyards)

Kit #2 - FTP-JGHPK - $50.00 (Bought this kit for the rounded hood plates)

I mounted the lanyard end to the plastic fan shroud, just in the very upper corners of the grill.

I will be making the brackets and drilling the holes over the weekend, I will be using the existing circular holes already drilled by the factory asthey are pretty centered and in a good location.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:53 AM

Mopar Collectors guide magazine 4/2010 has photo and short review of hood pin prototype. They are set very far back, to catch radiator core support. I think article suggests adding strip of metal to bring forward...in development

Quick Reply: Hood pins