Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

How is the economy in your area

Old 02-16-2009, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is the economy in your area

Here in NE FL, things are really starting to slow. Construction is way down, first it was residential now commercial is almost dead as well. There is a lot of people out of work and it is getting worse by the week. We are starting to cut back with our field support, office personnel will be next. Hopefully things will start turning around soon but I think it will still get a lot worse before it gets better.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:49 PM

Default RE: How is the economy in your area

Crappy here in Seattle, Western WA area. Washington Mutual - failed, -5k jobs, Microsoft - -5k jobs, Boeing - 10k jobs, Weyerhauser - -several k jobs, and housing starts, once seemingly unstoppable, are now at a near stand still.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:15 PM

To quote The Dark Knight "It's always darkest before the dawn.'

Idaho Falls hasn't been affected as bad as many other area's. You can definitely tell the pinch. But the city as a whole isn't too bad.
Car Sales have DROPPED and the construction biz has been hit hard. Oh... and Circut City went bye bye. Other than that we have been relatively fine from what I can tell.

Of course this is coming from a sheltered(money wise) 15 year old.

Times are tough. there only gonna get tougher.
I would save money now. Not later. And don't spend money you don't have.

And that's why we don't have a 09 Challenger and Ram in the driveway.
We could if really wanted to, but we don't.
Maybe if the economy completely crumbles and we get them for dirt cheap. But not now.
Oh... and we have a kid in college, my driving expenses and a house we can be paying off.

We have a 67 Cuda and that's as close as we're gonna get for a while.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in NC, I'm not feeling it yet. But alot of folks are. Only clue for me was my 401 K is 1/2 of what it used to be. Gas is down and so are some of the fast food prices. I'm single so thats all I need
Old 02-17-2009, 03:51 AM

I live in an upscale area of Birmingham, Alabama. In this part of town which is a medical community you can't tell much is wrong by looking around but I know two things: 1. I have been tring to sell my home for two years, have dropped the price $50,000.00 and still can't get anyone to make an offer and my house only gets shown an average of once every two months. 2. Alabama is hurting but not yet to the degree of some other areas of the country. I have one friend who lives in Tuscaloosa (my hometown) who is laid off and can't find a fast food job. He is 53 with a masters degree.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:14 AM

Over here around Lake Norman it seems as if people are holding on to their money alot tighter... I have been an auto/marine tech for about 23 years now and people are having to choose to just do the bare min on their autos just to get by and the same on their boats so they can put them up for sale....Hope this ends soon...I have 70 more payments left on the srt.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:59 AM

Things here in Michigan are dismal. I had my condo for sale for 2 years and only had 5 showings. I priced the condo very low but the forclosures in my complex killed us. I finally decided to rent it out in December. I doubt I will ever get what I paid for it, even 10 years from now. The Big 3 have been shedding 10's of thousands of jobs and it has killed the economy in Michigan. The workers who left the companies seem to be leaving Michigan and that lowers demand for housing. This is only going to get worse because today GM and Chrysler will announce more job cuts and plant closures. The wages for those of us in the auto industry are going to be greatly reduced. All of this spells trouble for Michigan and especially the metro-detroit area. I have completely stopped discretionary spending and plan to take the current buyout offer from chrysler. I have worked here for over 13 years and I am 35. I plan to re-train and change careers. Unfortunately this is a horrible labor market for job seekers. I have no regrets and welcome the chance to enter a new field that will be challenging and rewarding. I think it is important to keep your chin up and stay positive. I am most depressed that I won't be able to purchase my black RT Classic......yet.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clasko hang in there and stick to your plan. We have been here before and you seem to have a good sense of what it takes to get by. Sorry to hear all these bad signs. Seems to be pointing to trouble ahead. Good luck on your future plans and may the Lord guide you through these trying times.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:25 PM

My dads 401K went to crap too.[:@]
ORIGINAL: lear4406

Only clue for me was my 401 K is 1/2 of what it used to be.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:07 PM

In the wonderful world of San Antonio, my company alone has had numerous buyouts/layoffs over the past year. Now, one entire department is being "outsourced," to (naturally) India. There's a lot of speculation that the job I do will be "outsourced" too, although maybe not to India. In other words, things are bleak.

Quick Reply: How is the economy in your area