Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

I dont understand gas prices?

Old 04-20-2006, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I dont understand gas prices?

I dont understand why gas prices go up?
Old 04-20-2006, 10:54 AM

Default RE: I dont understand gas prices?

profit for stock holders
Old 04-20-2006, 12:30 PM

Supply and demand along with what price the market will bear.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with those guys but also add Middle Eastern poltics as well.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Here is the whole picture. After Easter prices always go up because weather is nicer outside and more people start to go on their vacations which means they use more gas. The demand has gone up and the supply is has not increased because we have not increased in our drilling because they won't allow the companies to drill because of the concern for the environmentalists peace of mind. The Chinese continue to use more and more oil now that they have jobs and are earning income and are buying cars and driving more. Further increase in demand. There is fear in the market that there will be a oil shortage which causes the price of crude oil to go up. Environmental regulations continue to increase on cars, which makes them less efficient, and the amount of environmental additives continue to increase in gas which makes the actual cost of making gas more expensive. No new refineries have built here in the U.S. in over 20 years because of environmental regulations, which means refined gasoline is harded to come by with little competition. We have to buy lots of it refined in other countries. Also the older refiners are getting old and less efficient which pushes up the cost. Taxes on gasoline are a huge part. They add around $.50-$1.00 extra per gallon.

I know this might sound crazy but prices are not as bad as what they could be. Gas in 2004 at one point was $1.85 with the price of a barrel of oil at $37. Now gas is around $2.70 with $73 a barrel of oil. That is just $1 shy of double the price for a barrel of oil, while the price of gas is only 68.5% increase where it could be $3.7 if the price of gasoline would double as the price for a barrel of oil has. They have become a little more efficient. The price ratio was $.05 per each dollar on a barrel of oil to $.037 per each dollar on a barrel of oil. It could be worse. If you want to see prices go down, you have to let the companies drill more oil. Don't worry these prices are not going to be high forever. Steve Forbes from Forbes magazine predicts it will drop next year to $35-40 a barrel. I just hope the politicians don't try to add any extra taxes to "punish" the companies because if they do that WE WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR IT because they will further raise the prices.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-23-2006, 02:25 AM

Thanks I think I have a better understanding
Old 04-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Your welcome! I wonder if the summer grades of gas are more expensive than the winter grades of gasoline (there is a difference betweem the two).

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-23-2006, 09:43 PM

I am think they are. They add something to it. And I know prices go up because of vacationers, but that may also be the reason as well.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Here, let me help you understand gas prices. LOL!

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/A1BEE0AFF6994D54BA9886A743CDBD37.jpg[/IMG]
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:42 AM

HAHA, thats good

Quick Reply: I dont understand gas prices?