Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

interesting info about nitromethane..

Old 09-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: interesting info about nitromethane..

what i dont understand, is when you see the crew working on the car, doing last minute things like checking the parachutes, checking the tire surface temperature, etc...they dont have masks on...they must be some tough muthas!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

I am sure their lungs are probably not in the best condition.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:11 PM

i dont know i mean i like nitro BUT i know that i would blow my motor if i had it in ANY car. i meen i have a heavy foot (u should see me n my dads Gmc Seirra) and if u r hit n the back (or the trunk section) and the tanks blew ( thats if u store ur tanks in the trunk).
Old 09-25-2006, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

what i dont understand, is when you see the crew working on the car, doing last minute things like checking the parachutes, checking the tire surface temperature, etc...they dont have masks on...they must be some tough muthas!
I would bet that Jeremiah hit the nail on the head. They have probably become very tough to where it doesn't affect them like it would to use who are not used to it; however, I bet that has been really hard on their lungs. I don't care how annoying having a mask on would be, it isn't worth letting your lungs being destroyed like that. I think some of the lack of safety measures like this cut my Grandfather's life shorter than it should have been. Oh well, he's better off where he is now, at least he isn't miserable anymore because he misses his wife, now that they are together.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-25-2006, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: mstrueby

i dont know i mean i like nitro BUT i know that i would blow my motor if i had it in ANY car. i meen i have a heavy foot (u should see me n my dads Gmc Seirra) and if u r hit n the back (or the trunk section) and the tanks blew ( thats if u store ur tanks in the trunk).
Well, the thing about this stuff is that it is just like adding a turbo or supercharger. If it is done correctly, the reliability issues are not as bad, but if they do it the way they did it in "The Fast and The Furious," then the engine will blow. Like most movies, it is very innacurate about the correct way of doing things.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Administrator

nitro is not nitrous...and ive seen a supra carrying two 20lb tanks in the trunk, which wrecked at over 125mph...the car was destroyed..a complete loss, and while the bottles were damaged, they did not explode...thats not how things work...the movies make it seem like having a bottle explode would shoot the car into the air, and thats not true.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for correcting me. One of these days, I really need to read more about this stuff so then I don't sound like a complete fool. Oh well, I guess we all sometimes think we know more than we really do.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Administrator

not you...mark seemed to think that nitromethane was the same as nitrous oxide...

nitrous oxide is an excellerent of sorts, used in conjunction with a fuel such as gasoline, methanol, or diesel fuel...nitromethane is a fuel on its own, which actually contains some of the properties of nitrous oxide. what nitrous oxide does, is that it introduces oxygen at an increased rate, and the oxygen portion of the compound is released from the nitrogen portion by the heat during combustion.

our atmosphere is predominantly nitrogen, basically with some oxygen and some other things mixed in...oxygen is the portion of the "air" that combustion engines want, so ideally, you want to inject pure oxygen, but in its pure form, oxygen is very unstable and very explosive. so, the two nitrogen atoms bond to the one oxygen atom, and you have a mixture of 66% nitrogen and 33% oxygen, which is more stable than pure oxygen. the atmosphere is roughly 21% oxygen and 79% oxygen, so the nitrous oxide provides the engine with increased levels of oxygen, and the i believe that the nitrogen is simply expelled in the exhaust. The nitrous enters the combustion chamber, and the hear seperates the oxygen and that now released oxygen "fattens up" the air side of the air to fuel mixture...hospital air has a higher level of oxygen than normal air, plus with the oxygen lines and tanks around a hospital, that is why youre not allowed to smoke in hospitals.

im NO chemist, so if we have people here who can provide a more accurate description of what exactly is happen, feel free to correct me on any incorrect points...
Old 09-27-2006, 11:34 AM

OOOOOO now i get it thanks guys.