Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Mopar To Offer "Hot Spot" Wireless Internet Capability

Old 04-14-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar To Offer "Hot Spot" Wireless Internet Capability

AUBURN HILLS, Michigan — Mopar confirmed on Monday that it will start rolling out an aftermarket in-vehicle "hot spot" system later this year. Chrysler added that the technology is also planned for "future model-year vehicles" but did not specify which ones will be the first to get the system.

Chrysler spokesman Nick Cappa could not tell Inside Line exactly how much the "hot spot" system will cost but said pricing will be announced "very soon." He was reluctant to give a ballpark estimate for the system. However, he said it is set up to interact with a vehicle's USB port and said it would be compatible on Chrysler vehicles equipped with the optional MyGiG multimedia system. MyGiG is available on many, but not all, Chrysler vehicles. Since it is not available on the Dodge Viper, it means Viper owners will be shut out of the initial rollout of the "hot spot" system, Cappa confirmed. That means the Jeep Compass and Patriot and the Dodge Caliber won't get the "hot spot" system right away either, since they don't have MyGiG available.

The automaker said the technology will "deliver Internet and e-mail access and movie and music download capability directly to the vehicle." The system is able to provide "high-speed data transfer and convenience, combining WiFi and 4G connectivity," Chrysler said in a statement.

Chrysler used the occasion of the Society of Automotive Engineers World Congress, which kicked off Monday in Detroit, to detail its plans for other high-tech and convenience features. The automaker will tweak its rear-seat entertainment system with a swivel third-row screen to let rear-facing passengers see the screen. That feature will make its debut on the 2009 Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Caravan.

Those Chrysler minivans will also get the optional Rear Cross Path system, which is designed to warn drivers who are backing out of parking spaces about traffic moving toward their vehicle. The system notifies the driver via an illuminated icon on the sideview mirror as well as a chime.

What this means to you: You still won't be able to read your e-mail in your Viper, but other Chrysler owners are going to have a crack at some hot new technology in very short order. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=125613
Old 04-15-2008, 07:37 AM

Default RE: Mopar To Offer "Hot Spot" Wireless Internet Capability

GREAAAAT, That is all these moron drivers need, something else to distract them while they are driving.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:57 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
You Got That Right.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: TechmanBD

GREAAAAT, That is all these moron drivers need, something else to distract them while they are driving.
No kidding, we have enough problems with people texting-and-driving. Now all we need is for them to do e-mail and post on here about how fast they are driving right before they have an accident.[:@]

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-26-2008, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Now all I need is a keyboard fold out in the middle of the steering wheel. Much faster than texting.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:11 AM

I'm just waiting for the windshield that has a news ticker at the bottom
Old 04-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Now you are talking......the ultimately ergo mod......a HUD (heads up display for you non technical types).
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Now you are talking......the ultimately ergo mod......a HUD (heads up display for you non technical types).
Yeah, before you know it they will then offer a choice of different your favorite cable news outlets channels shown on a HUD and you can do day trading while your speeding.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, I will be doing my day trading on Good Year rubber stock as I burn my tires up.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Yep, I will be doing my day trading on Good Year rubber stock as I burn my tires up.
As well as ExxonMobil for the oil in the engine, ChevronTexaco for the gas, Champion for the plugs, K&N for the filters, and on the owner of the Insurance company when the red and blue lights start flashing in the rear vision mirror.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: Mopar To Offer "Hot Spot" Wireless Internet Capability