Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   My First Car Was a.... (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/off-topic-6/my-first-car-5499/)

rasonjason92 12-05-2008 06:25 PM

RE: My First Car Was a....

The first car I drove was my Mom's 4 door 1986 Chevy Chevette.[8D] However the first official car I owned was a 1974 Dodge Challenger with a 360 that I picked up for a whopping $550 My Senior year. I spent my last year in high school rebuilding that machine. Lost alot of girlfriends because of that car. Kept it until I joined that Army three years later. I would have kept it but my brother in law wouldn't let me keep it at his house until I could retrieve it, so I had no choice but to sell it.[:@][:o]

tskatz 12-06-2008 03:57 AM

My dad gave me his 1969 Chrysler 300, 440, 350 H.P. 2dr hardtop when I was 15. I hated it and rejected it. I actually bought a Chrysler just like it in 1999 which goes to show you that you can learn to appreciate the past. My dad's car was worn out with well over 100,000 miles and the 1969 model I bought in 1999 was owned by an 83 year old man and had 20,000 miles on it. It was the same color as the one my dad owned but it was in beautiful shape. I ended up buying an SS 396 automatic convertible with white bucket seats at the age of 16, Blue with white stripes that belonged to my first employer's wife who drove the car as a sorority girl at The University of Texas. It was very sweet and now would be worth an incredible amount of money due to the fact that it was an Alabama car with no rust. I believe I paid $2000.00 for it in 1977.

Peevan 12-06-2008 06:26 AM

First Car....1969 Olds Cutlass S, 350 V8. When I bought it in 1974 for $995, it had 119,000 miles on it. I used to say that thing had two speeds; "Idle" and "Thrust". So light in the rear, I had to keep cement blocks in the trunk to increase traction cause those tires would spin on ANY wet road start. People always thinking I was doing it on purpose!!! Got me through Senior year in High School, through college, got me across country from Indiana to California to my first real job. Had lots of fun in that thing. Pretty much, all I ever had to do to it was Earl Scheib it a nice blue [:-][:-][:-]

canadiancanuck 12-06-2008 08:30 AM

1981 Ford Mustang, Inline 6 auto with t-tops. Ugly ass orange (coral red) with red interior. Was a slick first car but major carb problems hahaha

RRUNNER 12-06-2008 09:51 AM

I got my first car on my return from Viet Nam. Saved every dime I made, except for my R&R to Australia. It was a 69 Ralleye Green Roadrunner w/black hood stripes, 383 w/ram air, auto, white buckets, console. Dressed it up with wider rear tires and put mag wheels on it. That car was sooooo cool. I did a lot of street racing (not smart) and can't remember losing to any stock vehicle. Wish I still had it. :(

http://www.dodgechallengerregistry.c...trysig_106.png

stevelegel 12-07-2008 03:27 AM

You can telllout ages from teh dates on first cars. I think it is interesting how many were Mopars, among this group,

My first car:
My first car was an 11 year old 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I bought from my dad’s uncle for $25.00. Its workhorse 318 had over 97,000 miles in it, as the speedometer had not worked for the past few years. The car came with a list. Monday put in oil, Tuesday put in air, Wednesday put in water, Thursday put in gas, drive over the weekend, start again on Monday. Rust holes had been covered over with tape and painted with Sears Weatherbeater white, a close match. The driver’s door handle did not work. You had to get in and out through the passenger side and slide across the bench seat. My great uncle was very frugal, and when the passenger side wiper blade gave out, he did not replace it. The resulting scratch arched across the windshield an eighth of an inch deep.

It was on this car I developed my affection (or affliction) for auto restoration. I used window screen and bondo to fix the rust holes and used my uncle’s air compressor to spray a runny metallic brown paint job. I took the driver’s door apart and found the clip that connects the linkage and the door worked well after I reconnected it. One summer Sunday afternoon, as I was returning to my dorm at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, the speedometer sprang to life. A friend had totaled his Cougar, and I took his black leather bucket seats, drilled holes in the floor boards and bolted them in. I applied woodgrain contact paper to the aluminum dash. Another talented friend helped install an FM Converter and wired a single speaker in the rear seat package tray. I painted the meshwork of the grill satin black, leaving only the prominent cross pieces in stainless. How was I to know the 2006 grill on the Magnum and Charger would mimic my creativity 30 years later? One battery post was cracked. I found that if I packed aluminum foil into the crack, the post would wedge enough to make contact inside the battery. I remember well my summer of painting garages for cash, “Steve’s $60.00 scrape and paint special”. At the end of one such long day, my Belvedere would not start, and I had no more of my stash of foil under the seat. I knocked on the door, and asked the housewife (they had those in 1972) if I could borrow some foil to start my car. She in turn offered to just give me some foil if I would show her how I used it. With her watching over my shoulder, I retrieved the blackened, oxidized old foil from the post, rolled up a snake of foil and with my screwdriver, packed it down inside the loose terminal. I turned the key and the 318jumped to life!