Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

My First Car Was a....

Old 12-05-2008, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Car Was a....

After reading some of the posts regarding members first cars, I thought it would be fun to hear about member's first cars. So I started this thread inwhich forum members could post what their first car was and perhaps a little background story. Should be interesting.....

My first car was a 1966 Charger, purchased for the princely sum of $500.00. Needed body work and interior work of which I did myself...traded it in at Downey Dodge for a really nice used 69 440 RT/SE Charger within six months of finishing the 66....(so much for the love I held for my first car)
Old 12-05-2008, 05:35 AM

Default RE: My First Car Was a....

1993 ford probe SE $7,400.00 bought in 1997 had only 50,000 miles on it still drive it today
Old 12-05-2008, 05:38 AM

My first car was 1977 Dodge Aspen R/T w/360 cid and 4bbl. It was black with red stripes, white interior and the full rallye package. I ordered it through AFES and picked it up in MD when I returned to the states from my first tour in Germany back in Nov 1976. Seems like a life time ago. It was a beautiful but as for power, it couldn't get out of it's own way.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:30 AM

'87 Corolla LE 4 door. Hand me down from mom. Gutless car, good mileage, cheap to run and insure. Great first car for a young one.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:38 AM

Wow, I had an '80 black Dodge Omni TC3. I thought that little coupe was cool enough and the vinyl seats, 2 speaker AM and FM radio, awesome. Well, that's the thing I could afford as a 17 year old making $3.40 an hour. It sure was nothing that produces any kind of memories, but it did get me around and especially to have my own vehicle to fool around in with my girl back in the day. All in all, it was fun enough, paid for in my own cash (yep, I'm sure a bunch of you had folks who certainly didn't pay your way either then) and then as I went off and joined and went into the Marines, I sold it off, no less, to a Marine recruiter.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:39 AM

Well my FIRST car was a hand-me-down from my parents, a 1970 Dodge Dart 4-door with the trusty Slant-6. For you younger guys who may not know about the Slant-6, they couldn't get out of its own way... but you absolutely couldn't kill 'em no matter how hard you tried, those damn things would run forever. When I got the car in 1984, it had 193,000 miles on it - the motor still ran great, but the floors were totally rusted out. Lift up the floor mats and you could see road running underneath you [sm=yikesomg.gif](my friends all nicknamed it the "Flintstone-mobile"). I ended up junking the car with 201,954 miles on it... but the Slant-6 still ran.

My first "official" car that I bought with my own money was... a 1970 Dart Swinger (2-door) with, you guessed it, the Slant-6. Had that car my junior and senior years of high school, it never let me down - started every morning even during the harshest of sub-zero Pittsburgh winters, even when my parent's new K-car sometimes wouldn't. I sold it to a friend of mine in 1987 when I went active duty AF - he got drunk one night, ran a red light and got T-boned by a Ford LTD wagon, so it unfortunately met an untimely demise... [sm=outcold.gif]
Old 12-05-2008, 08:15 AM

Mine was a 68 Chrysler 300 440/350 car dark blue hideaway lights (that didn't hide) Power windows that didnt power But I loved it-Cost 100 Dollars, yes I'm showing my age
Old 12-05-2008, 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Yankee

My first "official" car that I bought with my own money was... a 1970 Dart Swinger (2-door) with, you guessed it, the Slant-6. Had that car my junior and senior years of high school, it never let me down - started every morning even during the harshest of sub-zero Pittsburgh winters, even when my parent's new K-car sometimes wouldn't.
I'm surprised your slant-6 started that easily. I never had one, but everyone I knew who did have one had a VERY hard time starting them in the winter (in Iowa). I remember in auto shop class in high school that our shop teacher said they were hard to start because of the unusually long intake manifold. According to him, the droplets of gasoline would hit that cold metal, condense and run down to the bottom of the manifold instead of flowing on into the cylinders.

My first car, meanwhile, was a 1950 Ford Custom Tudor. (That was the same kind of car that Robert Mitchum was supposedly driving in the early part of "Thunder Road". I say "supposedly" because some of the scenes show either a 49 Ford or a 50 Ford with a 49 hood). Originally, it had a Flathead 6. Later, I put in a Flathead V-8 out of a 51 Ford. After I blew a rod in that, the Flathead 6 went back in.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Although the first car I drove continuously was a Olds Ciera, I don't consider that to be my first car as it was a hand me down. My first car was my 1997 Dodge Intrepid that I sold recently to my aunt and uncle. It had just under 87K on it. Dings all along the right side. The wheel covers on the right side were flaking. There was a coffee stain on the right side of the gear shifter. By the end the paint was in bad shape on the roof and on the trunk. But it was nearly trouble free despite the fact that the previous owner didn't take very good care of it. It had 162,801 when I sold it. Even though I like my 2002 Intrepid ES, I still miss it a little.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-05-2008, 04:26 PM

My first car was a 1964 Dodge 440 4dr, push button transmission, slant 6 engine. Tan w/ brown stripe when I bought it...painted it brown w/white stripe then white w/brown stripe. I was 16 (1971)and a caddy at the local golf course and bought the car for $125! Blew the tranny reving up the engine and pushing the buttons and traded it for a 1968 Plymouth Satellite. When I got it I was so proud and took it to the golf course and one of the local dignitaries got out of her new Mercedes and said "Wow, Sexy car" I felt like a million bucks!!

Quick Reply: My First Car Was a....