Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

NBC Brings Knight Rider Back as a Series

Old 03-31-2008, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NBC Brings Knight Rider Back as a Series

HOLLYWOOD, California — February's television film revival of Knight Rider may have been dramatically turgid and tragically short on "Turbo Boost," but it soared high in the ratings. So the return of Knight Rider as a series doesn't really count as a surprise. Expectations are that most of the cast introduced in the television film, including Val Kilmer as the voice of KITT and Justin Bruening as KITT's human companion, will return. Also likely to return are a whole passel of Ford Mustangs done up in Shelby GT500KR drag to portray KITT itself. Hopefully David Hasselhoff will also return as Michael Knight to regularly Hassel and Hoff up the action.

According to reports in both Variety and The Wall Street Journal, Knight Rider will be one element in NBC President Ben Silverman's plans to produce more original programming during the 2008-'09 season. That may mean that more than one will appear in one time slot. So if this fall Knight Rider returns to its old Friday 9:00 PM slot, it may share that slot with other action-adventure series so viewers get more new episodes and fewer reruns.

Rumors are that NBC's schedule will also rely heavily on escapist fare when it is unveiled on Wednesday. And if there's one thing Knight Rider has always been, it's escapist.

Our advice to the Knight Rider producers and writers is simple: Turbo boost. Turbo boost. Turbo boost. And then put in some more turbo boost.

What this means to you: The intriguing questions about character and motivation raised by the TV movie will be allowed to gracefully play out over the course of the series. — John Pearley Huffman, Correspondent

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=125392
Old 03-31-2008, 11:40 PM

Default RE: NBC Brings Knight Rider Back as a Series

Now if they'd just bring back "Airwolf" and "The Rockford Files," TV would be worth watching again.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator

And Quincy! "It was muuurder, Sam" -as impersonated by Jim Norton.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:39 AM

I wonder if this was just because people were interested in checking out the new Knight Rider and when it airs again the raitings will drop. I loved Knight Rider as much as anyone else, but KITT was never a Ford, even when they brought back the failures. I really hope this series crashes and burns just like the rest of them, the Knight Riders that they did after the original. As much as I would love to see KITT as a new Challenger, it just wouldn't be right, but obviously money talks and Ford spoke the loudest. It would be like bringing Airwolf back as a Stealth Bomber. How well would that work? lol. Wouldn't mind seeing that come back either. They have those on DVD now for anyone interested.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:24 AM

I saw the new movie. It was so-so. The car was kind of cool.
Of course I'd rather see the Challenger as KITT.
Maybe they could use a new hemi orange Challenger to star in a new Dukes of Hazard series.
Bahaha. They should star it in some kind of new series!

My favorite shows are Stargate Atlantis and Survivor.
The Sarah Conner Chronicles were pretty good too.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:01 AM

According to reports in both Variety and The Wall Street Journal, Knight Rider will be one element in NBC President Ben Silverman's plans to produce more original programming during the 2008-'09 season. That may mean that more than one will appear in one time slot. So if this fall Knight Rider returns to its old Friday 9:00 PM slot, it may share that slot with other action-adventure series so viewers get more new episodes and fewer reruns.
This is a hopeful statement to hear. Especially the for the below the line workers like my wife. They can get work all year with this kind of program, then just working the season and then getting laid off for a few months a year.

I watched the movie, it was ok. If I have nothing else to do at that time, I would watch it. Everyone has to remember, this is of this age. There isn't any other muscle car out at this time. So at least they used a current American muscle then say a Honda civic SI.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't see it. Although I enjoyed Knight Rider the original series, I have doubts about them being able to do it again and as well. For one thing, they really should stick with the original staff or not at all. I'm sorry but Val Kilmer being KITT will not work as well. The voice of William Daniels has characteristics of sarcasm and personality, the voice of a tough guy will not fit as well. They will lose the humor element which is vital to the show. Although Techman is right that we should be happy they didn't use a Civic, I still think that they should go back and use a Trans Am again. The Trans Ams looked futuristic, whereas the GT500KR does not. I really wish NBC would instead try to develop new shows that are actually good.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-01-2008, 09:55 AM

I know everyone might hate me for this, but I think they should of stuck with GM vehicles, even if it's the Camaro. They used it in Transformers, they could have used it in this. Definitely nothing against any of the other companies, but you can't sit there and keep it Knight Rider and name the car KITT, but have it a Ford. That just doesn't make sense. Now if they changed the name of the car, ok, make it something like FITT or SITT, heck, I don't know.

I guess just growing up with Knight Rider and seeing it destoryed for the millionth time to end the season just to have it come back again as the same car has kind of ruined it for me to be anything other then a GM vehicle. The red bar doesn't even look right on a Mustang.

I'll get off my soap box now.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Axel

I know everyone might hate me for this, but I think they should of stuck with GM vehicles, even if it's the Camaro. They used it in Transformers, they could have used it in this. Definitely nothing against any of the other companies, but you can't sit there and keep it Knight Rider and name the car KITT, but have it a Ford. That just doesn't make sense. Now if they changed the name of the car, ok, make it something like FITT or SITT, heck, I don't know.

I guess just growing up with Knight Rider and seeing it destoryed for the millionth time to end the season just to have it come back again as the same car has kind of ruined it for me to be anything other then a GM vehicle. The red bar doesn't even look right on a Mustang.

I'll get off my soap box now.
I can understand this viewpoint. Since the original was a GM product, why not stay with GM. A G8 or 06 GTO would certainly be acceptable if they didn't want to use a Trans Am do to all the time that has passed.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-02-2008, 03:41 AM

i am sure the original car will make an appearance in the series

Quick Reply: NBC Brings Knight Rider Back as a Series