Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Nissan, Honda May Outshine GM, Ford With N.Y. Autos

Old 03-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan, Honda May Outshine GM, Ford With N.Y. Autos

I think the U.S. automotive industry is finally realizing their plight and I have faith that they will not just give up. I think we are in interesting times and I believe we will witness the U.S. automobile producers compete again.

This guys a nay sayer....but I know what time it is....

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...7g.0M&refer=us

[quote]Nissan, Honda May Outshine GM, Ford With N.Y. Autos (Update1)

By Greg Bensinger and Alan Ohnsman
More Photos/Details

March 20 (Bloomberg) -- Nissan Motor Co., Honda Motor Co. and their Asian peers may get a bigger sales boost than their U.S. rivals from vehicles introduced at the annual New York auto show this week.

New models from Asia include Nissan's latest Maxima and the Fit small car and Acura TSX sports sedan from Honda. South Korea's Hyundai Motor Co. is showing a two-door version of its Genesis premium car, while Toyota Motor Corp. has a coupe that may be added to its youth-oriented Scion brand.

The new-model count at the show mirrors the rising fortunes of the Asians in the Northeast as well as the total U.S. market. Asian companies account for 10 of the 20 vehicles making their global or North American debuts, compared with two from U.S. automakers, according to the show's organizers. Eight of the new models are European makes.

``The New York show has lost some of the allure for U.S. brands that it once had,' said George Magliano, a New York-based analyst for research firm Global Insight Inc. ``It's still the media capital, but the biggest introductions for them are in Detroit, Los Angeles and Geneva.'

Asian automakers' retail sales in the Northeast U.S. rose 3.7 percent in 2007, compared with a 3.4 percent decline for domestic carmakers, according to data from R.L. Polk & Co. Nationwide, Ford, GM and Chrysler yielded share to the Asians in 2007 for the 12th straight year.

Toyota today said it may miss its global sales target of 9.85 million vehicles this year as a strengthening Japanese yen makes its vehicles less competitive. The world's second-largest automaker plans to boost sales in emerging markets such as China to offset slowing demand in the U.S. and Japan, said Vice President Tokuichi Uranishi.

Domestic Defense

``New York is still important, but we do spread out our product introductions for all the big shows,' Mark Fields, a Ford Motor Co. executive vice president, said in an interview.

U.S. automakers are highlighting a handful of niche vehicles at the event, formally known as the New York International Auto Show. Dearborn, Michigan-based Ford is displaying a prototype taxi version of a European commercial van that's scheduled to go on sale in the U.S. in 2009. New York generates about 2,000 new cab sales annually.

``This year, we wanted to show something local more than anything else,' Fields said.

Chrysler LLC is showing its full line of Dodge Challenger sports cars, while General Motors Corp., the world's biggest automaker, is introducing the Pontiac G8 coupe-pickup combo. The vehicle is initially expected to be more of a showroom lure than a sales draw, said Mark LaNeve, sales chief of Detroit-based GM, in an interview yesterday.

Honda's Fit

Honda, by comparison, expects to sell at least 70,000 Fits this year, up from 56,432 in 2007. Next year ``we think with this new car we can do better,' Dick Colliver, Honda's U.S. executive vice president, said in an interview. The Tokyo-based automaker expects as much as a 3 percent U.S. sales gain this year.

J.D. Power & Associates two days ago predicted U.S. sales of 14.95 million this year, which would be the lowest annual total since 1994. Consumer confidence dropped to a 16-year low this month and gasoline prices are at near-record levels, curbing demand. Housing starts, considered a leading measure of truck sales, fell in February to their lowest level in 17 years.

``Our products are right in t

Old 03-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Nissan, Honda May Outshine GM, Ford With N.Y. Autos

After the declines Nissan has had in quality and foolish decisions they have made (switching over to CVTs eliminating their fuel economy and performance advantage over their rivals on the Altima despite the new one being smaller and the engine receiving an upgrade), I don't really think Nissan is a very big threat. Honda on the other hand is. They have a good reputation and they are going to small diesels, that should tell you something about the future direction of the market.

The GM has caught up in the marketing department and Ford has caught up in the reliability part. Let's hope that Chrysler under the new management will be able to return to their status before the merger.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-21-2008, 05:09 AM
Administrator

however, if im not mistaken, honda has slipped a bit in their "ultra reliable" reputation...

i think that nissan is doing a good job of making some sportier vehicles, but im still not a huge fan of their mid level cars, and unfortunately, the GTR is priced out of reach of most people. the idea is for it to compete in the muscle car market, which it doesnt performance wise, but the price tag puts it into the supercar class.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy
`Challenging'
[/quote]
Hehe... challenging time call for a challenger car... i think you guy's can catch my drift.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

I just found it refreshing they called out GM and Ford in the headline and left Chrysler (sort of) alone.

The small diesels are selling well in Europe. The only problem, any gains made in better mileage are lost in fuel cost (more coin per gallon).

Of course, diesels are supposed to last longer and they are finally getting more acceptable performance. Anyone see the new military diesel motorcycle? Interesting.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:35 AM

Hmmm.. the perfect article for explaining false motivation. I love it!
Old 03-21-2008, 12:44 PM

I am definitely not an import lover. I think they are way overrated and lack in style. The other thing that bothers me is the media. Everything you read is how the domestics have so many issues and how the imports are excellent. Recently Consumer Reports came out and said they wouldn't give Toyota their top rating anymore due to quality issues. We then find out that they haven't even driven most of the Toyota's they were giving top ratings to. They just arbitrarily gave them an outstanding rating based on some past performance while the domestics had to earn everything year after year. What kind of BS is that? Today, the quality of most cars are very close.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:29 PM

Ok wait a minute the GTR is priced around 70k right? If so for the performance it puts out, I heard it's supposed to compete with a Porche 911!!!! So tell me how that compares to a super car A.K.A ford gt and such of about a quarter million dollars!!! Dude if a GTR is supposed to compete with a 911 I think for 70k that's a good deal, plus if it competes with a 911 it'll smash a muscle car man. Im a big muscle car fan but you can't really compete with a 911 turbo. The new Vette' coming out with 600 horsepower is supposed to be about a 100k and the GTR will be right next to it down the road so tell me please how you can't get your bang for buck? I heard the GTR did 0-60 in less than 4 secs!!??!!
Old 03-23-2008, 08:31 PM

I read your post again Mirada and I see what your trying to say now. But Im pretty sure it's supposed to compete in the SUPER-CAR market. (Examples) what I said earlier. For price yeah it is out of reach for the muscle car guys definatly. But for 70k you can fly next to a Lambo that's nice.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:09 AM

Yeah it's nice, but i would rather drive a $70,000 challenger with less performance than a $70,000 GTR with more performance. But I am just a hardcore Mopar fan.

Quick Reply: Nissan, Honda May Outshine GM, Ford With N.Y. Autos