Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

No Z28 Camaro, Convertible Delayed

Old 03-20-2009, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No Z28 Camaro, Convertible Delayed

Looks as if the Camaro is facing the hard times by killing off it's performance model the Z28 and delaying the convertible......And we Challenger owners throught it was bad because we didn't get the 6.4 Hemi or a convertible.....at least we have both the RT and SRT models!

From the Jalopnik Site we have the following report:

"We've reported on the shelving of the Camaro convertible, but news has emerged the high-horsepower Camaro Z28 variant has been outright killed by the Carpocalypse and GM belt-tightening.

Paul Eisenstein at The Detroit Bureau is reporting GM is shelving plans for a 570 HP Camaro Z28. The reason? It would be prohibitively expensive for GM at this time. With a program price around $50 million, the Z28 got the axe in favor of other efforts.

The bad news continues as the convertible, which was previously delayed a year, faces the collapse of the German supplier providing its convertible top. The unnamed source within GM went on to note, despite the bad news, there's still a desire by the program groups to build both of these cars; but it'll take significant engineering finagling to bring them to market for the right price". [The Detroit Bureau via Autoblog]
Old 03-20-2009, 09:13 AM

Default Not good for a Chevy lover

I have several Chevy friend's . That where looking forward to the new Camaro Z-28 . Their answer to the SRT Challenger . Too bad they won't give the customer what they want.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think the convertible was ever set in stone to begin with. I wouldn't say that we won't get a 6.4L Hemi just yet because the Charger and 300 are going to be updated and I believe they will probably get some updated engine to replace the current 6.1L. The truth of the matter is it was about a year or two after the 4.7L V8 got its update before the 5.7L Hemi got its update. In my view it's just a matter of time. So much of the Camaro's status to me seems up in the air. GM needs to get their act together honestly.

A supercharged Z28 in my view isn't a wise move (besides this I remember the SS being more powerful and higher on the food chain than the Z28). They would be better to just offer an updated version of the 7.0L with the CAFE standards they have to comply with. Also, GM needs to prevent making the same mistake they made last time the Camaro and Corvette co-existed. They offered the same engine in both and they competed against each other. If they want to offer the same engine in another car, they ought to rebadge it as the Firebird instead. It will lower the chances for in house competition.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-21-2009, 05:17 PM

Yeah,who ever figured this would be happening.(sigh) The last couple of years have been so exciting with all of the big muscle coming back for war,just like in the good ole days.And now,they are back,,but are too broke to offer all what they would have just a short time ago.(sigh) I guess we ought to be happy that they are back at all.

Oh and by the way,the SS was a upscale version Camaro,but even with the big 396,it still wouldn,t run with the high windin Z-28.

Last edited by RLSH700; 03-21-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: double posting
Old 03-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Yeah,who ever figured this would be happening.(sigh) The last couple of years have been so exciting with all of the big muscle coming back for war,just like in the good ole days.And now,they are back,,but are too broke to offer all what they would have just a short time ago.(sigh) I guess we ought to be happy that they are back at all.

Oh and by the way,the SS was a upscale version Camaro,but even with the big 396,it still wouldn,t run with the high windin Z-28.
Well, I'm no expert on the classic ones as they were not built in my lifetime; however, from 96-02 the SS was the top dog offering Ram-Aired versions of the same engine that the Z-28 had to offer. Also, being that the SS was the more expensive model historically as it was the more luxurious version, it makes more sense to have it as the more expensive model from that stand point. The reason why the Z-28 stayed in production was it was the more practical approach to performance and more mainstream. Doing it this way is still a mix up in marketing strategy.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-22-2009, 04:05 PM

That was in the 4th gen. But back in the day Z-28 was the ref. code on the order sheet to list the most bad to the bones muscle in the arsenal. Believe me,the Z with the MO,or DZ302 WAS YOUR OPPONENTS WORSE NIGHTMARE. Back in the day,the 302 Z,s would smoke the big block SS,s at the drags day in and day out.The Z would leave hard and fast,always beat the SS,s out of the hole.At the drags,the SS would always run out of track before it could run down the Z. Ah,those were the days.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
That was in the 4th gen. But back in the day Z-28 was the ref. code on the order sheet to list the most bad to the bones muscle in the arsenal. Believe me,the Z with the MO,or DZ302 WAS YOUR OPPONENTS WORSE NIGHTMARE. Back in the day,the 302 Z,s would smoke the big block SS,s at the drags day in and day out.The Z would leave hard and fast,always beat the SS,s out of the hole.At the drags,the SS would always run out of track before it could run down the Z. Ah,those were the days.
Like I said I'm not as knowledgeable about the classics. My concern is I think the way they are doing the Z28 is a mistake I don't think they should make the Z28 such an expensive model. I think they would be better off if they would make the Z28 a more affordable and the SS a more expensive model as the SS historically had the larger engine and was the more luxury orientated version.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-31-2009, 02:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the day (70s) the Z-28 was a really quick car. 302 had it reputation. But with the lowly 340 Duster they were tamed quite regularly. All I heard from them back then was you got a bigger engine and that was when the SS had a 350. Ahhh the days. I remember those fondly. 69 Z-28 was a really nice deal. But the SS was more upscale with performance also. Of all the Camaros I like the 69 Z-28 the best.