Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Pontiac Goat

Old 10-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pontiac Goat

Wow.....in another post I referenced the Goat as being a good value....it really is....400HP for 32K...that's impressive....

My only issue with it is styling, a bit Asian-ish and vapid.....makes you wonder if they could do a retro application on it's body...keep the rolling chassis and just make a good looking body....

Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder....but that's some serious performance for the price......

http://www.pontiac.com/gto/index.jsp

Old 10-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Pontiac Goat

The GTO has already been discontinued. The styling was too much like the Grand Prix, which was too similar to the Grand Am before it. That is one of many things that contributed to this cars failure. I agree that at the end it was a good deal. I remember when it was either Motor Trend of Car and Driver who compared two GTOs (one auto and one manual) to a Mercedes CL-class (I think). The reason why they tested two was to prove the fact that they could buy two GTOs for the price of one of those Mercedes. The interior was quite nice on those cars and its a shame it didn't take off, but I'm afraid part of the problem was they were trying to compete in a segment that the majority of people really didn't see a need for anymore. I think some of the problem was it was too big.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-26-2007, 03:09 AM

Not to mention the GTO had many other build quality issues, despite being a Holden design - I know, I had an 04 for 2 years. Mine had many annoying electrical problems that came and went. But the worst had to be when both front tires had to be replaced because over time they started rubbing against the struts, causing the sidewalls to separate from the tread, plus they had a few catch fire due to leakage from the fuel rails [sm=yikesomg.gif] The car was a good idea but just very pisspoorly executed, and I couldn't get rid of mine fast enough.

Hopefully current owners keep a sharp eye on their front tires and keep a fire extinguisher handy.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Scary. Pontiac, fire extinguisher....why does this strike a chord......Fiero!

Hopefully, they have more success with their Solstice. That and the Sky are promising executions of American Roadsters....and I think GM is spot on w/ their efforts behind Saturn....they are making some truly inspiring vehicles themselves......bring the quality....

I keep falling into that cliche copy in the commercial "That's a saturn?" because they are putting out some nice looking vehicles....I guess the million dollar question is quality.....which I hope Cerberus keeps tabs on......

I had a Plymouth Horizon...which other than a two barrel Electronically Controll Carburator from Holly was trouble free for 120K (great little car)....I tried to rebuild the carb even though on line they said it was a lost cause (it was a real hunk o' crap).....I believe I dropped $600 in a reman'd one.....that's why I gave the $30 carb kit a shot.....

my moms 91 Daytona ES Turbo (we believe it was some sort of mix up shelby as the service technician indicated components that were above the ES line at the time).....anyway this thing was a nightmare, cheap components all over the joints constantly in the shop....

My folks then got a Jeep to replace it.....I wished them well and good luck....I went Asian......I make no bones about my Chally.....I expect it to be a service prone vehicle and I'm OK with that....what I'm more concerned with, however, is Chrysler's ability to compete, if they aren't putting quality components in their body/electrical etc.

That's why I'm encouraged about the new group indicating they are focusing on quality internals and body components......I want Chrysler to compete......who knows? If they start getting good ratings on their mini-vans I might sway away from Sienna after I get 200K out of the existing one.....(which oddly for Toyota had some crappy body components of itself....mechanically though....rock solid...save the damned CEL...replaced all the O2 sensors.....couldn't get the light out....there was no way in hell I was going to put a $1000 cat in a 7 year old van w/ 145K on it....finally was able to clear the codes...changed the gas cap...got it inspected....and bam....light came back on......I'm good for another 2.....can anyone say tangent?......sorry) I might just get a Caravan....the new ones look good on the insides like the new features they're offering....bright, imaginitive.....outside styling leaves something to be desired.....I like the "jellybean" look in a mini-van.....yeah...I said it styling and minivan.....never the twain shall meet...... ;-)

Old 10-26-2007, 07:52 AM

A guy I know has an `04 GTO in Phantom Black and as far as I know he loves it and hasn't reported any major mechanical and/or electrical issues with his. He claims that the 5.7 liter motor is a true dual exhaust, but I only see one tailpipe sticking out the rear end. What's the deal on that?

On another note - a good friend of mine is a Claims Adjuster at Progressive Insurance and he told me that it's damn-near impossible to find parts for any 2004 - 2006 GTO. It's hard not to like the GTO's LS2 motor with 400 HP, but styling wise it's pretty dull...I have to be honest. That was a huge factor for me in deciding between an `05 GTO and an `05 Mustang GT. I do recall reading something to the effect in R&T that GM might re-launch the GTO in 2010 or 2011 following a major overhaul. If so, I hope they get the design "right" this time around. The GTO had so much potential; it's a shame they didn't sell more over here. They were built in Australia, so I wonder if it took off more over there for some reason then it did in the US?

ORIGINAL: Yankee

Not to mention the GTO had many other build quality issues, despite being a Holden design - I know, I had an 04 for 2 years. Mine had many annoying electrical problems that came and went. But the worst had to be when both front tires had to be replaced because over time they started rubbing against the struts, causing the sidewalls to separate from the tread, plus they had a few catch fire due to leakage from the fuel rails [sm=yikesomg.gif] The car was a good idea but just very pisspoorly executed, and I couldn't get rid of mine fast enough.

Hopefully current owners keep a sharp eye on their front tires and keep a fire extinguisher handy.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Yep. Don't squander difficultly earned capital in a legendary brand reputation.......not to go mantra on the 500 but why sully the Taurus.....

Just accept defeat and release a new gen of Taurus......

I always found Pontiac designs to be visually pleasing for the most part....I guess everyone has an off day......

Old 10-26-2007, 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Albeeno

A guy I know has an `04 GTO in Phantom Black and as far as I know he loves it and hasn't reported any major mechanical and/or electrical issues with his. He claims that the 5.7 liter motor is a true dual exhaust, but I only see one tailpipe sticking out the rear end. What's the deal on that?
His claim is right - they ARE true duals, they just exit out the same side on an 04. In 05-06 they changed to a pipe on each side.

Mine was Phantom Black too - hope your friend has better luck with his than I did with mine... just tell him to keep a sharp eye on the insides of his front tires. I found out later that the "strut-rub" that mine had was no isolated incident - Pontiac even issued a TSB on it. Why they never did a recall on something so potentially serious I'll never know - I just got a recall notice for my 07 Camry for the freakin floor mats... go figure.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:03 AM

Too funny about the floor mats!!! By the way, thank you for clarifying the dual exhaust question, I appreciate it.

ORIGINAL: Yankee

ORIGINAL: Albeeno

His claim is right - they ARE true duals, they just exit out the same side on an 04. In 05-06 they changed to a pipe on each side.

Mine was Phantom Black too - hope your friend has better luck with his than I did with mine... just tell him to keep a sharp eye on the insides of his front tires. I found out later that the "strut-rub" that mine had was no isolated incident - Pontiac even issued a TSB on it. Why they never did a recall on something so potentially serious I'll never know - I just got a recall notice for my 07 Camry for the freakin floor mats... go figure.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah...totally missed that....what are suffering from faulty gromet welds that cause the vehicle to suddenly lose control? Did they accidentally process them with Kerosene and they are fire traps?