Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Porsche 911 beats out 'Vette and Viper

Old 09-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Porsche 911 beats out 'Vette and Viper

So overall is that heavier or lighter than the original? Regardless, that is one screaming machine to say the least. That car had so much potiential and few knew about it.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Administrator

well, mine screams thanks to the engine coming out of a 69 cuda...[8D]
Old 09-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

A heavily modified cuda engine.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Administrator

honestly, its not that modified...

the stock engine has 10.5:1 pistons and required high octane fuel...when we put the motor together, i was 16 or so, and i couldnt afford good, high compression pistons, so we bought the least expensive 30 over 340 pistons that we could find. those pistons were 8.5:1 compression. the "good" 340 cylinder heads (j heads, x heads, etc) typically hold large intake valves (2.02 intake 1.60 exhaust)..my heads are late model 360 heads, ported and polished, but they only have 1.88 intake valves, which limits the engine quite a bit. so those two items actually hurt the performance...

to counter that, the engine is 30 over, so it actually displaces about 346 cubic inches. i run hooker super competition headers as opposed to the restrictive exhaust manifolds. for a long time i was running the stock cast iron intake manifold, although it was ported to match the heads, and i ran the stock thermoquad carb. with that setup, i was in the low 14s. I am now running an edelbrock air gap intake, which is a flow-through style intake manifold, and a proform "race carb". the carb is 800cfm, where as the stock thermoquad was (i believe..its been a while) 625 cfm? I am also running a much bigger than stock camshaft, and roller rockers. but in comparison to what most 340 racers are using, my build is very, very mild...

we are considering going to a better piston, perhaps 9 or 9.5 to 1 this winter...and someday id like to have a good set of heads with the bigger valves, but the car runs well for now, and if i would just stop buying cars, i could put more into the mirada, but amanda and i would really like a cruiser. eventually we will have the mirada here, and here, it is street legal. i would like it to be into the lower 12s, nearing the 11s before it makes the move here...plus, my dad, who is THE reason that it runs so well with his decades of experience and of course his labor on the car, is starting to run it since its stored at the shop, and hes having alot of fun with it...so i dont want to take it off of him.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

I just turned 1000!

So about how much hp & tq do you think it's producing? To be able to get it close to the low 12 secs, your engine is hardly stock.

So if you get the Demon, are you going to keep your Stratus and her Ram, or does one of them have to go?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Administrator

nothing has to go if we get the demon...we have a turbo daytona too, which i havent done anything with...if we need to get rid of something, the daytona will be the first to go. the demon would be the fifth car here, and it probably would be stored, not at our house...we actually plan on getting the challenger, or possibly an evo or 300C if the challenger pricing is too "ambitious"...and we dont plan on trading anything. we also have the ramcharger...im not a real big fan of trading vehicles...if anything, we might trade the stratus, but dealers screw people so hard on trade ins, i doubt that we will.

hp calculators (take them as you will) put my car around 460 bhp, and around 355whp, assuming a race weight of 3650lbs. I have spoken to a few guys who have alot of dyno experience, and they actually agree that with my times and trap speeds, 350-360 at the wheels sounds about right.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:27 AM

Damn, you have a cool, I guess you can say, Fiance(Are you use to that saying yet? ). Not that my wife isn't bad, I do have a great wife and all, but If I brought another car home, I would be dead duck. She doesn't know thye obsession of a man and his toys. If I had the means, Jay Leno would have some competition
Old 09-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Administrator

i bought her performance parts for her truck for christmas last year...

she wants a muscle car too...and while a demon is no hemicuda, its a start...

but this is all up in the air, as we dont know if its nice.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Hmm...You were able to beat a 450hp Viper in a heavier, probably less arrowdynamic car with only a 10hp advantage? Perhaps you have a bigger torque advantage then. What turbo Daytona do you have? I agree that at a dealership, they will cheat you on the trade in. The best route I have seen is eBay. A friend of mine sold his 1994 Intrepid ES (3.3L) no leather, sunroof, traction control, and other key options mind you with 150,000 miles for over $3,000. A dealer wouldn't have given him anything for that. What do you use the Ramcharger for? You have a nice collection. I hope to start my own collection when I have the money.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Administrator

the real limits of the viper seems to be:
1. driver skill
2. traction
3. traction

while aerodynamics play a factor in any sort of auto racing, it doesnt make much difference until higher speeds...you could build a 2000hp tank, and it would pull off the line from a 1000hp supra...they could be built to weigh the same, but at higher speeds, the aeros of the supra would make a difference...

i can consistantly pull low 1.7 and high 1.6 60 foot times thanks to my suspension and gears...hell, the early vipers in stock form were no strangers to the 13 second range...but with huge trap speeds. this is why you may see things like a new GTO running 13.00 @ 110mph, and me running 12.60@107mph...or a new viper running times like 12.50@120mph...

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 beats out 'Vette and Viper