Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Retro Cars, Chevy HHR, etc.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Retro Cars, Chevy HHR, etc.

Uhhhh...not knowing your financial condition makes it difficult to say, but if you have any spare wives or children you can sell for a quick 20K, I'd say definitely!
Old 06-26-2008, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Uhhhh...not knowing your financial condition makes it difficult to say, but if you have any spare wives or children you can sell for a quick 20K, I'd say definitely!
Roswell, that's a bit extreme....surely he can just pony up a kidney or some other redundant organ on the black market!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:53 AM

is this the corvette you're talking about?

http://www.vetteweb.com/features/vem.../photo_02.html

Old 06-26-2008, 08:43 PM

Yes that's it!!! thanks for finding a pic... The one im looking at is black... Although that white one is stunning looking... I am a fan of cars that are the color black ..my truck is now... A lot of work has been done to the interrior on the one im looking at...plus like i said earlier under the hood it's absolutly chromed out...
What do you think???? I've got the lady on the hook right now... but not sure for how long... She did take down her for sell add though... a good sign I hope...
Old 06-26-2008, 11:57 PM

Wow that white 53 vette is special looking. It reminds me of Speed Racer's Mach 5. If you can afford it, buy it.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Justinec101

They need to get some of that sleekness back, dodge's lineup is starting to look like it's made of legos.
Agreed! (BTW, I like your new picture under your user name.) I miss seeing some sleekness in Dodge's line-up. Don't get me wrong I like the Charger and Challenger, but the Caliber, Nitro, Grand Caravan, and somewhat the Avenger are overdoing the boxy theme. The issue is Chrysler made the PT Cruiser far before GM got the designers of the Cruiser and made the HHR, so Chrysler already has that. Dodge doing retro is found in cars like the Challenger. Honestly, I think Chrysler should stay away from the 50s because if they bring back fins, they will manage to top the Aztek as having one of the tackiest models in current history.

Chrysler has used retro potentially too long and needs to consider making more futuristic looking cars (not weird futuristic like the Insight but fun looking futuristic). The fact of the matter is you can't live in the past. You can visit it occasionally but not stay there.

MrKrisSullivan, in response to your reference to the Prowler being made for ten years, I believe what you are referring to is the fact that the PT Cruiser used the styling of the Prowler because the Prowler was only made for 5 models years 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, & 2002. The two cars share nothing beyond similar looks. The Prowler was LH based (Intrepid, Concorde, 300M, LHS) with having a 3.5L H.O. engine (same as used in the Charger, 300, Magnum, and upcoming base level Challenger) and had been modified to be RWD unlike the other LH cars. The PT Cruiser was Neon based using NA 2.4L I4 and two different output levels of a turbocharged version of the same 2.4L engine. It was always FWD and unlike the Prowler had a manual available.

BootCamp, the lack of a Hemi V8 was more due to the lack of such an engine being produced at the time as the Hemi Magnum was not released until year after the Prowler went out of production. On top of this, I doubt it would have worked without having to do some expensive adjustments to the engine compartment to make it work. Even if they did, it still might not have been enough. The Thunderbird and SSR both had V8s available and they were both flops. On top of this, it would have pushed the price even higher. The Prowler did probably the best it could with the technology the company had available to them at the time (minus not having a manual available).

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-28-2008, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700
ORIGINAL: Justinec101
They need to get some of that sleekness back, dodge's lineup is starting to look like it's made of legos.
MrKrisSullivan, in response to your reference to the Prowler being made for ten years, I believe what you are referring to is the fact that the PT Cruiser used the styling of the Prowler because the Prowler was only made for 5 models years 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, & 2002. The two cars share nothing beyond similar looks. The Prowler was LH based (Intrepid, Concorde, 300M, LHS) with having a 3.5L H.O. engine (same as used in the Charger, 300, Magnum, and upcoming base level Challenger) and had been modified to be RWD unlike the other LH cars. The PT Cruiser was Neon based using NA 2.4L I4 and two different output levels of a turbocharged version of the same 2.4L engine. It was always FWD and unlike the Prowler had a manual available.

BootCamp, the lack of a Hemi V8 was more due to the lack of such an engine being produced at the time as the Hemi Magnum was not released until year after the Prowler went out of production. On top of this, I doubt it would have worked without having to do some expensive adjustments to the engine compartment to make it work. Even if they did, it still might not have been enough. The Thunderbird and SSR both had V8s available and they were both flops. On top of this, it would have pushed the price even higher. The Prowler did probably the best it could with the technology the company had available to them at the time (minus not having a manual available).
I agree with everything you said. I think if the Prowler had the performance to match the looks, it could have made a ten year run in production. I didn't mean it as "HEMI specific", but more that it was a sheep in wolfs clothing.
The PT, whether automatic or standard transmission, was woefully underpowered with the I4 2.4 in a 3600 lb car. Even with the turbo, it seemed too little too late.
And I agree that Dodge needs to go with smaller cars, but needs to have more cutting edge designs used. While the tree-huggers don't care what the econobox they sip gas with looks like, there are still a LOT of enthusiasts that want their cars appearance to be a reflection of their personality. The Challenger proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt, and Dodge needs to take note to not repeat the doldrums the cars of the late 70s and early 80s created in design and sales.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:59 PM

Kris. . .

If that car she has is what I understand it to be, it was worth the price of a C5 + 40 grand for the customization. Therefore at 20k you could probably go and turn a profit on it after driving it a couple years. You always hear stories about things like little old ladies with their dead husband's 3000 mile challenger sitting in the garage that's worth 100k and they're trying to sell it to the neighbor kid for 5 grand. . . I think you might have one of those situations at your disposal, and if I had 20 grand and knew where she lived I'd be giving you different advice and taking it for myself I'd do more research though, I couldn't find much info on those cars and they may have had their info switched up with those 789s.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:05 PM

Hey thanks for the insight Justinec101... yeah it is too good to be true... but she said it was for sell e-mailed me back and everything with a bunch of pics... Im scared though i haven't heard from her in about a week at first I thought the car was sold but she must of just took the add down then she said it was still for sale so I want to write her everyday but truthfully im a little worried right now as if the car is still for sale again... Like I said before she's deaf so this makes everything so much harder...
I've read in certain places that only like 150 of these things were made... I've seen one go on ebay motors for 40k and there's a pretty blue one right now on ebay motors trying to be sold for 80k....So yeah it's been hard to sleep the last week....
Ohhh p.s. 20k includes the shipping and insurance!!! Can you believe this???
It's definatly not the 789 thing though... im quit sure of that as i've seen pics from every angle. I have a Corvette entusist mag. and on the back page it shows a guy's 2002 he was one of the first to do the work because he wanted it ready for the 03' aniversry. Wish me luck but I don't want to be pushy and e-mail her everyday (but I do)

Ohh as to BootCamp and RLSH I was just stating that I thought the Prowler was never intended to be a long production run vehicle.... I was under the impresstion(sp?) that they knew it was going to be phased out shortly after being introduced... I thought the story was Chrysler was just proving that you could in fact produce a factory Hot-Rod...