Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Stupid meets Gas pedal

Old 08-25-2009, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stupid meets Gas pedal

Sad story, Stupid meets Gas pedal, or a Hi-performance car DOES NOT equal Hi-performance driving skills!!!! I hope this guy NEVER sees the light of day.......Be safe out there....

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- A Louisville man is facing charges after a fatal crash that happened while he was test driving a car from an auto dealership.
The crash happened Sunday afternoon near the intersection of Fern Valley Road and Fern Valley Way. Investigators said Bryan Lee, 30, was driving a 2009 Dodge Challenger when he hit a Mercury Sable that was leaving an apartment complex. The victims have been identified as Toya Buckner-Dioum, 40, and Sherman King Sr., 63. King was Buckner-Dioum's stepfather. Both were wearing their seat belts.
"I know my grandfather and my mom, they looking down on us, knowing we're going to get through it," said Shatova Buckner, who lost her mother and step-grandfather in what officials are calling a senseless accident.
"There is no sense for this," said Sgt. Todd Shaw of Metro Police. "This is not a drunk driving case. This was a case where you're driving too fast because you wanted to purchase a nice, fancy car that drives fast and what have you done? You've killed two people."
As Buckner-Dioum pulled from her apartment complex onto Fern Valley Road with King in the passenger seat, police said Lee was on his way back to Commonwealth Dodge, driving at speeds of 100 mph.
"The vehicle itself, the 2009 Challenger, has an onboard computer crash data retrieval system that tells us five seconds before the crash, four seconds before the crash, three seconds before the crash, two seconds before the crash, one second before the crash -- tells us exactly what the speed of that vehicle was," Shaw said. "One second before the collision, the box is telling us it was going 101 miles an hour."
"It's ridiculous, ridiculous test driving a car like that," Buckner said. "It's obvious they were playing."
Police said Lee's brother was in the passenger seat, and a salesperson was in the back seat.
"We're going to sue Commonwealth Dodge and anyone else we can sue," Buckner said. "And I think the sales rep should lose his job."
Judge Janice Martin chastised Lee during his arraignment Monday.
"Sir, this is the most egregious thing that I think I have seen in my 16 years on the bench, that somebody would test drive a vehicle and drive at a rate of 100 miles an hour, endangering the lives of not only yourself, but of hundreds of other people on the road," she said.

Lee's bond was set at $100,000.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:30 PM

That sucks...take it to the track people....
Old 08-26-2009, 06:03 PM

was it in a newspaper article..any photo of the carnage?
Old 08-26-2009, 07:05 PM

As bad as this is, for us more sensible drivers it is reassuring to know that if this dumbass can survive a crash doing 100+, the rest of us should feel fairly confident in the car's safety features. Prayers be with the family that suffered the loss.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by stevelegel
Not that anyone needs a visual to understand just how stupid and irresponsible it is to drive recklessly……Remember, the victims could well have been a loved one from one of our families……
Assuming the facts are correct, it is tough to overstate how stupid this guy was. The road he was on is said to be a busy road with numerous busy cross streets. He deserves whatever he gets.
(No picture of the Challenger was posted in the article....)
Attached Thumbnails 500x_wrecked_mercury_sable.jpg  
Old 08-28-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevelegel
Here is a photo of the Challenger.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32534166...louisville_ky/
Old 08-28-2009, 01:15 PM

A couple of links:

Photos of the scene:
http://www.whas11.com/perl/common/sl...www.whas11.com

A local news story with a few links as well:
http://www.whas11.com/topstories/sto...10c496c3d.html
Old 08-28-2009, 02:03 PM

It's just a very sad story, that can have no happy ending........and it shouldn't have ever happened.......
Old 09-02-2009, 05:52 PM

Sounds like a inside job to me.What dealers are open on Sunday,s unless it is a special holiday promotion or something.Plus,what salesman would stand by and let this guy wind the car up like that.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:54 AM

As for the salesman letting someone open up a car like that, the salesman I had when I first test drove told me "I hoping we could see she what she's got" after I pulled out behind a sting of traffic. We went down a back road with a little trafiic on it and turned around and then I had no traffic in front of me some I punched, got it to 80 in no time and left out of it. The salesman was grabbing on to the door pull to hang on, didn't expect it I guess. Got out of it after hitting 80 and drove sensbile, no sense getting a ticket or wrecking something. The salesman said it was the first time in a Challenger wanted to see what on would do.

Quick Reply: Stupid meets Gas pedal