Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
It's fine, save your money
0%
What are you crazy, quit being so darn cheap & replace it already!
0%
"I don't know but my gut says 'maybe'"
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Tire replacement

Old 06-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire replacement

General question, at what miles or age should a tire be replaced simply due to high mileage or old age. I have a tire that I put on my car a few months shy of 6 years ago and has about 72K miles on it. If I was going to hold on to this car for another couple of years, I would just replace it and be over it, but I'm sort of in limbo right now with my job status and I don't know how much longer I'm going to keep this car so I haven't replaced it yet. I replaced the matching one a couple months ago after getting a screw in the side wall so that is why I only have one that is that old. So what do you guys recommend?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-28-2008, 02:13 PM

Default RE: Tire replacement

If youre talking about a car with a short sidewall tire (smaller car or smaller rims), I'd replace it to match the other one you recently replaced.
If you stagger the tires with tread depth, not only will you put more stress on the "worn" side components (tie rod end, ball joint, etc) but youre taking your alignment away and wearing the new tire excessively and unevenly.

If youre talking about a large car or pickemup truck with tall sidewalls and larger diameter rims, it wouldnt be as detrimental to the vehicles steering and suspension and Id say the decision wasnt as critical.

Of course you could rotate the tires to make sure the worn one was in the rear and it wouldnt matter much at all. LOL!
I did assume it was on the front, didnt I???
[X(]
Old 06-28-2008, 02:17 PM

BTW - tried to take the poll posted above and got the following:

[IMG]local://upfiles/271/FCA337EFA705472D8F38CFFC20AD28C2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

If youre talking about a car with a short sidewall tire (smaller car or smaller rims), I'd replace it to match the other one you recently replaced.
If you stagger the tires with tread depth, not only will you put more stress on the "worn" side components (tie rod end, ball joint, etc) but youre taking your alignment away and wearing the new tire excessively and unevenly.

If youre talking about a large car or pickemup truck with tall sidewalls and larger diameter rims, it wouldnt be as detrimental to the vehicles steering and suspension and Id say the decision wasnt as critical.

Of course you could rotate the tires to make sure the worn one was in the rear and it wouldnt matter much at all. LOL!
I did assume it was on the front, didnt I???
[X(]
The tire size is a 225/60 16 inch tire. It is on a Dodge Intrepid. It is on the front, but I'm planning on having it rotated to the back at the next oil change.

I got that too, the polling seems to have issues still.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 07-05-2008, 07:00 AM

Generally 6 years in service, 10 years from build date, or whenver the tread wears out. Most tires will be pretty well toast at 72K. I'd probably replace before any long trips, but for just local driving it may still be survivable. It will probably be bad in the rain though. Make sure it's not cracking or anything on the sidewalls.