Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Vanishing Point Movie(s)

Old 01-16-2009, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vanishing Point Movie(s)

I had the opportunity to finally watch the remake (and I use the term loosely as it was more of a TOTALLY SCREW IT UP WITH A TON OF POLITICALLY CORRECT CRAP) of the cult classic Vanishing Point. OH MY GAWD, what a major disappointment! Kowalski goes from being a War hero turned decorated detective who is screwed over by dirty cops, who then turns to racing bikes and car and makes quite a name for himself but then looses his sex-drugs-&-Rock 'N Roll Girl friend in a freak surfing accident causing him to turn to drugs and speed balling while delivering bad-a$$ cars all-over the western US to being a pansy a$$ed Milk dud (period). The life-force eating "remake" even had the balls to change Super Soul (the blind but up and coming hip DJ with an almost psychic connection to Kowalski) into a conspiracy theory nut job. Watch these films back to back and it's like being slapped in the face with all that is wrong with America. I mean, as you are living it, you don't really notice the million little subtle changes that leach the energy out of life while you not paying attention. But then someone shows you how big a can of soda use to be by placing it next to one from today. Now you are hit with the full weight of what you have lost. There it is in cold, harsh contrast; the 10 cent half gallon 1970's Coke next to the $1.25 thimble. Kowalski the renegade raging against the system starring the kindler, gentler Kowalski who desperately desired to deliver a package of feminine products to his dying, pregnant wife. Needless to say, Vanishing Point '97 pees its pants while cowering in the corner curled up in the fetal position when Vanishing Point, the original, darkens its doorstep. The old school Kowaski would punch the writers/director of VP 97 in the jewels if he knew what they had done to him.

I don't even like the latter movie's treatment of the cops. The original Kowalski was up against mean SOBs who weren't taking any crap off some doped up cummie b4st4rd terrorizing their quiet little community/way of life. THE MAN was in control and ready for a fight. In the newer movie the cops were jokes which, in turn, made Kowalski a joke and for that the poeple responsible need to be kicked in the nads.

I'd better stop here because I'm sure someone actually liked the second "movie" and I really don't mean to insults. But ask yourself this, "What if Bullitt was turned into a Social Worker who drove around in his '68 Mustange Fastback, 390 big block while being hassled by bumbling idiots trying to thwart his attempts to deliver care packages to demented old retirees at the old folks home??"

The views expressed in this message are not neccessarily those of the site, site administrator or the sponsors of this site. BUT THEY SHOULD BE, BY GOLLIE!!
Old 01-17-2009, 05:14 AM

Default RE: Vanishing Point Movie(s)

So don't hold back here, tell us what you think...no need to sugar coat things, we can handle the truth...
Old 01-17-2009, 05:28 AM

So, what kind of car was used in the new version?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:04 AM

Hey, call me crazy but I actually liked the VP remake (the original one was cool, don't misunderstand, but come on - it was hardly Shakespeare). Personally I couldn't have cared less about who or why about Kowalski or the DJ... I watched it for the CARS. And you gotta admit, VP 2 delivered on plenty of car action - it even had alot more Mopar action than the first one.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:09 AM

The ONLY thing good about the 1997 version is that it did feature a white 1970 Challenger (two were used in the filming and both cars survived the production intact). Also, in the remake, there is an appearance by a black 68 Charger.

Other than that, epegasus is correct. That is one of the finest, and truest, movie reviews I've ever read.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:25 AM

to each his own
Old 01-17-2009, 09:45 AM

I have both on DVD and I don't care for the remake either.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:16 PM

there were rumore that they was gonna be another VP made with the new Dodge Challenger but i have yet to see anythin on that
Old 01-18-2009, 05:46 PM

First off, everyone should remember that these are cars movies, first and foremost, they were never intended to be Academy Award Winners. The newer version has more of a plot if you can actually say either of them have a plot....And, the second version was directed more towards the Mopar group as they talk a lot more about the cars and additionally show more details. It also has more Mopars, 70 Challenger RT (of course), a Black 68 Charger RT (Owned by cop.."It takes a Mopar to catch a Mopar"), and a 71 Road Runner.

However, the original "Super Soul", the music, and the location was much better in the first (1971).
If you love Challengers, you should have both versions in your DVD collection. If I could have only one in my collection...hands down it would be the 1971 version....

(By the way, each year on my way to the Reno Air Races, I pass through Goldfield Nevada where "Super Soul" had his station in the first version...the people there don't remember the movie even being filmed..and a lot of them look as if they have lived in the town for a hundred years...go figure)
Old 01-18-2009, 06:06 PM

As compared to other movies from the early 70's, VP (71) was a very serious attempt. I'd put it up against a number of films from that era. Of course it was no Cool Hand Luke but not too many pictures were/are. Here's a list of the highlight movies from '71:

Shaft
They Call Me Trinity
Two Lane Blacktop
Dirty Harry
Billy Jack
Fist Full of Dynamite
Le Mans
Omega Man
Vanishing Point

It stands up pretty well against those movies. But, when you compare VP (97) with what else was available it was a very sad attempt:

Air Force One
Return of the Jedi
Men in Black
G.I. Jane
Crash
Murder at 1600
Austin Powers
The 5th Element
ConAir

Maybe the next one will be worthy considering it has to be at least as good as the remake for Gone in 60 Seconds.

Quick Reply: Vanishing Point Movie(s)