Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Who Works on Their Car?

Old 07-16-2007, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who Works on Their Car?

I do just about everything myself. Only if i don't have the time Iwill trust my car to a family friend but no one eles.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:36 AM

Oh my, I used to do all my own work. My first engine changeout (a long time ago!) was swapping the underpowered flathead four in my '55 Willy's for a Hurricane 6. Shoot, I can remember the days when my Grand Dad would change his old Studebaker's oil and dump it in the storm drain -- Don't do that today, we didn't know then what we know now! Over the years I have torn up a lot of knuckles and cleaned a lot of grease from under my fingernails. I still do all my own car care, and recently installed the cold air intake on my Magnum. But I must admit, alas, the joints don't bend as well anymore and the back seems to stiffen up a lot quicker than it used to, so I take the cars in for most things.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:04 AM

My mechanic works on my truck. In fact I just had to put my 2nd clutch in the damn thing (I am getting 50k miles out of it). Put a decent dent in the Challenger fund.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:08 AM

but that is always a mess to transport old oil.
I do this still. And probably will always. The place I get my oil, Kragen, has thye collection and they take the filters as well. Some places don't take the filter. But as far as mess, No worries for me. That is what the beater truck is for. Errands like this.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:11 AM

ORIGINAL: awsure

My mechanic works on my truck. In fact I just had to put my 2nd clutch in the damn thing (I am getting 50k miles out of it). Put a decent dent in the Challenger fund.

I hate that when that happens. You are getting so close, but then BAM. there is an expense.

50K though? My first truck I got close to 150K, that is when I made the excuse, instead of having it replaced I traded it in for my first dodge ram. I miss that truck. 96 4x4 5.2l Forest Green standard cab. [&o]. See what you did, you went and made me think about it.[:@]
Old 07-16-2007, 09:23 AM

My answer is mixed, I do both. I have alot of knowledge but am by no means a service tech. If it requires a lift or special tools, say changing the clutch, I'll take it to a trusted service center. If its electrical and I can't figure it out, it goes to the service center. Maintenance items I do myself. I just finished installing a roll bar in the GTO with the help of my 17yo son.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

I hate that when that happens. You are getting so close, but then BAM. there is an expense.
That is exactly why I always tell people to always have 6 months of emergency cash for those events/expenses
or if you get laid off from work. Having that cushion keeps you from pulling from your retirement account or dodg challenger saving
accont.

Here is another one: You could drive to work and get a flat in the side wall. Guess what.......that is at least $100.00 expense
in that one tire alone.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:12 AM

I've always done my own work but Monday night on the way to work the Dakota died at a stop sign 2 blocks away from work. No restart just some sputtering. Well I figure it's gonna be fuel related and I'm having visions of dropping the fuel tank I had JUST FILLED to replace the fuel pump after having it towed to my driveway. Not a pleasant thought. So I go through the key on-off, on-off, on to pull the codes from the odometer display expecting a code that will clue me into where to start............Pdone. No codes at all? WHAAAAAA? Next morning I head down to the gas station I had just filled up at to read the owner the riot act about water in his tanks and he hands me the computer readout which he had just taken that morning that gives the water content in the tanks.......0.000 water level. Now what? Crank sensor? Cam sensor? Fuel pump? Oh yeah....... no codes........I'm screwed!

So I admit defeat and have it towed to a local shop, Napa certified. ASE certified, family run for over 50 years. Well it wasn't cheap but I would've had no clue where to begin without spending a couple of days trying to figure out a plan of attack and then I could've been wrong and wasted time and possibly money for nothing. In hind sight the only thing I would've done differently is at least check for fuel rail pressure. That would have told me something but the last 2 weeks have been quite stressful with work and a serious illness in the family so my mind is going about 10 different directions at once. Maybe I was just overloaded mentally and could have figured it out on my own if I had gotten my mind to slow down a little.

The only other time I had someone work on one of my vehicles was several winters ago after I had broken my back and my wife's car came due for an oil change. The following spring at it's next service interval I got under it as usual to change the oil and ended up having to drive the oil filter off with a hammer and large punch. I just don't trust anybody else doing work on my vehicles.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

When I take mine in to the local lube store. I know the owner and I also watch the guys as they do my car.

It keep them on their toes. I also tell them to not check the tires as I have a digital gage and keep it at exactly
35.0 PSI on cold tire pressure. By checking the tire, they could reduce the pressure.

By this they know I am picky and they do a good job for me.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

I have my dealership do the service I don't feel like doing or can't do. I ask family and friends who know alot about cars what places do a good job and they give me their advice, plus I quiz the people working on the cars about a few unique facts about Chrysler products. That is normally a good indicator on where or not they have good mechanics. I used to change my own oil, but this car is too annoying to do the oil on with the placement of the oil filter.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: Who Works on Their Car?