Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Who's Ran Their Vehicle Longest(MILEAGE) Without repair work?

Old 03-10-2008, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's Ran Their Vehicle Longest(MILEAGE) Without repair work?

Just wondering? I've put my Ram in the shop before, because of my own idescretions, but I know I had to replace or rebuild the tranny twice already.
03' Ram Hemi 4x4 65k miles
Tranny was under warranty of course but still. Im interested to know. Peace...
P.S. I don't drive near as hard as when it rolled off the lot.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:36 AM

Default RE: Who's Ran Their Vehicle Longest(MILEAGE) Without repair work?

our 02 yukon XL went a whopping 20K miles untill the tranny smoked, and then another 40K untill it fryed again. (I think)
there's GM for ya!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:42 AM

My 02 Silverado had the same thing with the Tranny. I got rid of it.

I had a 93 Ford Ranger that had close to 150K miles on it. At the point the clutch was going out. But never had any major repairs, just the typical fluid replacements and belt change.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Administrator

ive put over 100,000 miles on my ramcharger without any real service..oil changes, a tire here or there...the stratus has 65,000 on it, with new repairs that i didnt WANT to do. i added solid motor mounts, slotted/drilled rotors, exhaust..etc..
Old 03-10-2008, 11:06 AM

My 2001 ford supercrew 4x4 lariat after 105k miles has never had any work performed except oil changes and transmission and fuel filter replaced once. I have pulled a trailer full of four wheelers from fla to central illinois, to southcarolina for years, and I have a 26ft pull behind camper as well. A wonderful truck. Barely looks used, even the leather seats still look brand new as well as the carpet. And yes, I'm an outdoorsman that loves to hunt. Catchall floor mats do the trick. the truck has the 5.4 triton motor, w auto.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

I've had pretty good luck with my Intrepid. The only work done to my transmission was the coolant lines at 15K, which was obviously warrantee work, beyond that just transmission fluid flushes every 30K with Chrysler ATF+4. The engine needed an intake gasket at 90K, a new cooling fan at 145K this past summer, a new tie rod around 100K, freon (or whatever they use these days) recharge at 143K. Most of everything else has been regular maintenance. It has over 157K currently (3.5L 24 valve SOHC V6). My father's record holders are his 98 Taurus only needing new brakes regularly and a new wheel bearing at around 130K, his two 91 Dynasty's transmissions were starting to act up due to lack of maintenance at 135K (3.0 Vulcan 12valve OHV V6), plus a computer problem that made the engine refuse to start and needing a new starter plus burning oil (3.0L Mitsubishi powered). My mother's record is 127K with the oil pressure extremely low on her 91 Caravan (2.5L 2 valve SOHC) most of these miles were in town as it was about 10 years old. Her 02 Caravan has around 113K currently and counting, the problems have been suspension related and with the climate control and A/C needing a recharge. My dad's first two cars were Coronets that he put over 120K on both having the 318, the first one's engine locked up due to lack of use and maintenance as he was single and had the second one as a company car. He said both were pretty much trouble free.

The worst cars were had were the following:
Olds Ciera: transmission going out at 113K, with tons of sensor problems, ABS had to be worked on four times and still didn't work right, starter went out right after we took it off the lot, tire iron snapped, the windshield wipers would get stuck sometimes, the dash would shake if you drove it faster than 55mph, the suspension was pretty much shot, the engine didn't run right (and I never spent the money to figure out what was wrong with it), the gauges didn't work right, the alternator went out on it, the cup holder broke, the door handles broke on the inside of the door itself, etc.

Chevy Vega (my mothers that she had back in the 70s): Engine block cracked at 60K, she doesn't remember any other specific problems other than she said it was always giving her problems.

1982 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3.8L V6 I think: Carb had issues with stalling and getting it to restart was a task, the engine overheated a couple times from a blown water pump, it was really burning oil and not running well when we got rid of it at about 90K. It broke down a lot and I can't remember what went wrong with it. It was always having problems and leaving us strained.

1985 Chevrolet Celebrity 2.8L V6: timing chain snapped and it damaged the lifters, something went wrong with it and the axle broke, I can't remember anything else, we got rid of it before 100K if I remember correctly.

1979 Olds Cutlass (I don't remember which one it was): three wheel bearing failures, engine was burning oil, got rid of it with about 110K.

1976 Dodge Aspen slant six: carb problems and had to replace the torque converter. Got rid of it with about 90K.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-10-2008, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1972 Duster 340 4-speed. Rear tires and 3 clutches. 109,000 miles. No engine or transmission problems... just a 16 year old with a lead foot and a captive High School audience My first car Oh yeah 102,000 miles I had to replace the ball joints. I freshened the engine up so I could add some go fast goodies, it still had 45 lbs of oil pressure at cruising speed before I rebuilt it.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 PM

All i've done in almost five years is, two trannys, one plastic peice for the auto window button, the handle to pull your-self in on the driver side twice... funny story a big fat guy pulled it off haha, he had to way at least 350 though. Im talking big. But that's it in about five years ohh radio/cd player was acting weird not long after I bought it factory re-placed.
The transmistions were definatly part of a HUGE lead foot I had the first couple years of owning it. I hope (knock on wood)
Old 03-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

How many miles did you have on the truck each time the transmission went out on it and how often do you do transmission fluid flushes? Also, have you considered adding a transmission cooler? How about a shift pack (though I'm not sure if the warranty will allow this)? Most people I know that have Rams with 545RFE transmission haven't had anywhere near the problems you're talking about.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-11-2008, 10:20 AM

Honestly the first time I can't really remember but it was about 20 something, the second time was about 40k.
the first time it blew though was after I got it back out of the shop, couldn't of been even a month, truthfully I think they pulled one over my eyes 'cause I think they didn't re-fill the fluid when it came out. It was nothing but body work, but a good bit of it. So in short the shop said it was warranty work so I got it done under warranty work, even at the time I thought it was funny though and still think so.
They should of checked the transmission and other major components, but they had it in the shop for over a month and I think they were having a lot of trouble getting it done on time so they over-looked something simple like the fluid.
The second time was really weird where I was in cruise control going down a bridge and all of a sudden it seemed to just down shift, I guess all the way to first and what do you know all the sudden Im running peak rpm's, really weird, I pulled over turned it off, then back on again it wouldn't get out of first gear. So I just fryed it down the road in first to get it to the gas station to park it and call a friend. I haven't had any problems since then or even any weird symptoms either. I would burn it out a lot down the road though once I got used to it. I can't roast 'em but I'll roll it all the way down the road till it catches second, then it'll gitty up. It used to be too fun not to do it. Still is, I guess im a little older and wiser now though. (maybe).

Quick Reply: Who's Ran Their Vehicle Longest(MILEAGE) Without repair work?