Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Why so many high HP cars now?

Old 03-27-2008, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why so many high HP cars now?

In the 70's they cut down the power of car engines, so why are there so many cars now with high horsepower? Why did this resurgence come now instead of the 80's or 90's?

Old 03-27-2008, 05:05 AM

Default RE: Why so many high HP cars now?

Manufactures said "OH KR@!P!!!" we need cash flow to figure our the 35mpg. Lets build High horses now, get the $$$ from everyone scurrying to buy the last of the horsepower, then use the $$$$ to engineer some fuel miesers. OK maybe not to a "T" like that but probably close. Plus look at the technology differences from just 5-10 years ago....
Old 03-27-2008, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

Of course it could also be more short sighted, they're trying to produce revenue just to survive, glom some attention, and garner some new customers to sustaine their future.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:02 AM

I really can't figure it out, but I am loving it.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

My theory is that they were work on building it up slowly to try to increase the power while still making them somewhat practical. I think the super low fuel prices of the late 90s was what kicked off the second muscle car war. When people had a taste again of what cheap gas was like, people decided they wanted more and more power. This craving has been able to off set the rising fuel prices up until the current times. Also some people who are switching over to muscle cars previously were driving trucks and these models are still more fuel efficient than trucks, so people will still be willing to buy muscle cars.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-27-2008, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple. so many folks drove SUV dinosaurs and they had such poor gas mileage and as RLSH says gas was cheap. So naturally V-8 rear wheel drive cars were on the horizon and americans wanting the horsepower. Next step was to give the boomers what they longed for, a chance to relive their youth and cruise around in a car that fits their memory and is comfortable to boot. Woof and their you are. And here is where we sit today. Enjoy... its going to be short lived[X(]
Old 03-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

I'm gonna gets mine!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: lear4406

Simple. so many folks drove SUV dinosaurs and they had such poor gas mileage and as RLSH says gas was cheap. So naturally V-8 rear wheel drive cars were on the horizon and americans wanting the horsepower. Next step was to give the boomers what they longed for, a chance to relive their youth and cruise around in a car that fits their memory and is comfortable to boot. Woof and their you are. And here is where we sit today. Enjoy... its going to be short lived[X(]
Along with this, the demand for these dinosaurs caused the manufacturers to invest more money into their V8 lines which you can credit for inspiring the companies to want to maximize the return on their R&D for these engines which is why we have more muscle cars now.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-28-2008, 11:36 AM

Of course for those who say the movie..... If We Build Them, They Will Buy Them......... I think until something really drastic happens, the manufactrues will still turn out the horeses
Old 03-29-2008, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Billionaire

In the 70's they cut down the power of car engines, so why are there so many cars now with high horsepower? Why did this resurgence come now instead of the 80's or 90's?

Simple - Because the baby boomers have this last chance to enjoy their thrills of yesteryear and have they money to buy a high HP car.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Quick Reply: Why so many high HP cars now?