Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Sights N Sounds (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-10/)
-   -   INTERIOR PICS!! (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-10/interior-pics-2470/)

Chris 02-05-2008 05:51 PM

RE: INTERIOR PICS!!

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

ORIGINAL: mopar2ya

HOLY COW! All the critisism... Guess I am just increadibly thankful that Chrysler decided to actually follow through with the Challenger in the first place. I'm totally stoked just waiting to get my hands on that bad boy!! Not gonna sweat the small stuff. In my opinion a VERY ACCEPTABLE interior! Cheers!:D
My thoughts exactly. Out of all the fears we had along the way. They could have made it a 6.1L auto only for the ENTIRE run of the car, but they made the right decision to offer the manuals, the 5.7L, and the 3.5L. They could have charged us prices just under the Viper, but they decided to set the base price for the SRTs at about a comparable level for the LX SRT-8s. They could have made the Challenger a sedan, but they followed through with making it a coupe. They could have made it auto only but they will have manuals available for the Hemis. They could have really ruined the styling that would almost make it unrecognizable, but they kept it very similar if not improved it. They could have used the exact same interior from the LX cars with no modifications at all, but they at least made a few differences.

Out of all of these things I listed above, would have been things I would agree that completely messed up the car, but this is the most petty thing to complain about. Be thankful they even made it considering what the company has been through since when the car concept began until now. Think about who is running the company, people who have had zero experience in making performance cars, yet they are building it anyways.

You think the interior is so terrible, take a look at the Viper's. Now that is sad. Count your blessings is my advice that we even have the opportunity to buy it in the first place.
+1 on that. I'm just glad the thing got built. I'm pretty sure hearing that Hemi grumbling and rowing through the gears will help me get over the interior. I guess I don't pay much attention to the interior... I mean, I'm usually looking at the road when I'm driving.

70sguy 02-05-2008 05:51 PM

overall I like the look. agreed not up to the concept standards, but very retro looking. Really the pistol grip shifters back in the day were on the standard shifts also. I just hope they don't stinch on all the other amenities, solar glass, blue tooth,high quality stereo , amp, and subwoofer, traction control, push button start, keyless entry etc,etc. But did i notice the shifter with only a p,r,n & d, where is the 1,2,3,4&5 speed options? What is up with that or am i missing something?

cncpt2prod! 02-05-2008 05:52 PM

Similar to my 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the dash (under the steering wheel) is sitting barely above my chins...even with the seat back (I'm 6'1"). The Charger interior look exactly like my Jeep interior.
I like the Mustang interior better, but that's not going to sway me. I like the production Challenger interior better than the Charger interior...the Challenger looks more muscle car basic...like that.

An AWESOME exterior, an AWESOME drivetrain and a good basic muscle car interior... I'll take an RT with a manual, please!! :)

kramtrah 02-05-2008 06:06 PM

I am extremely thrilled with what has been presented. Sure, I wold have loved what we saw in the concept, but Chysler is doing nothing different that all manufacturers do, and that's save money where they can. Ever notice the similar components used between a Honda and Acura, yet the price is far greater for the Acura. This is how they keep this car affordable to the masses, like us, and all the others we want to buy this car so it will be around for a longer stint than the first Challeners of the '70's. I for one am just thrilled the car is REALLY coming tomorrow. It will deliver as we suspected, not as we exactly thought, but it will deliver overall.

Maybe that is part of the problem with building such a perfect concept, that we thought it could only be that way. I would have loved it, but also side with Chrysler for building a beautiful car that closely mirrors the concept on the exterior, offers a level of excitement offered on the interior, and will certainly be a blast to pull away from the line with.

HOLY COW! All the critisism... Guess I am just increadibly thankful that Chrysler decided to actually follow through with the Challenger in the first place. I'm totally stoked just waiting to get my hands on that bad boy!! Not gonna sweat the small stuff. In my opinion a VERY ACCEPTABLE interior! Cheers!:D

Jeremiah 29:11 02-05-2008 06:15 PM

kramtrah, very well put.

For those that want it different, I think there should be an abundance of aftermarket companies to make it your own.

cncpt2prod! 02-05-2008 06:33 PM

Ready for the unveiling...

http://www.redletterdodge.com/2008/0...ng-for-launch/

joeyr 02-05-2008 06:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Cuda340

I think the criticism that the interior is taking is not because it looks bad. It's due to the fact that Dodge did not give the Challenger its own identity. We all expected that its interior would be unique and not a clone of the Charger.

That being said, I still love the car and will be buying an SRT in 2009! [sm=gears.gif]

(I will be checking it out at the Philadelphia Auto Show this week and will give you my overall impression of the car).

As long as it doesnt look like a charger on the outside; I am happy with the interior. And we all know it could have been worse. I am not disappointed nor am I excited about it.

MGDMike 02-05-2008 06:53 PM

Wow.. I can just feel the 180 degree turn the moods have just taken regarding the interior. Relax guys.. there's always aftermarket parts:D

cncpt2prod! 02-05-2008 07:15 PM

Sure beats sitting on a box!!

mopar2ya 02-05-2008 07:55 PM

ORIGINAL: cncpt2prod!

Sure beats sitting on a box!!
LOL... seems like I remember someone talking about ordering with the wooden box seat option... if I remember correctly... [&:]

Overpowered 02-05-2008 07:59 PM

Someone said weeks ago, theyd be willing to sit on a box.

Only when I'm building it, have trouble keeping most seats from ripping out from the massive acceleration.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________

Now for nit-picking -

Look at those cheap-ass pedals - I think they could have designed/implemented nice metal/sporty pedals. Dodge must have purchased several hundred million of these design so they have to use them in "every" vehicle they ever build.

Eric

dodgedriver 02-05-2008 08:04 PM

I think the interior is exactly what I expected, I think it's fine, take a good look at those seats, don't expect to get those on a standard R/T either, I dont think it sucks at all, Like someone else said, do you remember how the originals where? I had a friend that had both a T/A and a plain jane one and some of the plastic parts left a lot to be desired, also like someone else said, If your going to lay the wicked burnout somewhere/or cruse hot august nights do you really think someone would say: " Yea, that's a cool car, to bad the interior sucks!" I think it's just fine, those seats alone make me want an SRT8!

dodgedriver 02-05-2008 08:10 PM

Ok, i'll nit pik as well, I hate the Ram on the steering wheel, and oh, I hate the Ram graphic thats shown on the nav unit, In fact I hate the Rams wherever they may be on the car!

I'm not a rams fan and I'm not buying a truck

Other than that I like it..

JJMPB 02-05-2008 08:30 PM

i believe it was lawn chairs

mopar2ya 02-05-2008 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: JJMPB

i believe it was lawn chairs
Wooden lawn chairs? Huh? :eek:

:D:D

JJMPB 02-05-2008 08:45 PM

coated with rustolium of course

mopar2ya 02-05-2008 08:52 PM

The more I look... the more I'm thinking... that tranny shifter has gotta go... [:'(]

JJMPB 02-05-2008 09:11 PM

have to agree with you there

Axel 02-07-2008 03:39 AM

I think my disappointment comes from the fact that I don't want some kind of luxury interior. I'm looking at retro here, make the interior similar, but up to date, to the Challenger of yesteryear just like the Mustang. We have all the good of the new comfort features with the mix of the old.

Looking at the 2008 Lincoln MKZ, please tell me if I have the wrong year, the only thing that looks exact to the Mustang, and to all the other cars, is the vents. Everything else may be similar, but it's still unique to the desing of the Mustang, not exact to another car like this is to the Charger. This is why I'm so disappointed. If I sat on the outside of this thing and drove it, I would be in love. I would be, and am, a little disappointed in no butterfly vavles, but hey, I can live with that. When I have to sit in my wife's $21,000 car and get in my $35,000 car and look at the same interior, I'm disappointed. When I got in my wfie's old 05 Neon and got into my 03 Ram, I didn't not see the same interior. I knew I was in a different vehicle. I believe the same still applies to the 09 Ram. Now I'm wondering if I sit in a Caliber, Charger, Challenger or Avenger, if I will really be able to tell the difference. Do a blindfold test of interiors only and see if people can tell the difference. lol. Again, it doesn't have to be some expensive interior, just unique would be nice, even if some parts were in fact from other cars.

As for the Camaro interior, I didn't say I liked the car. The car is a disgrace to the name just like the Charger, but the interior isn't bad on the spyshots that they have. I say that because it's unique. People are paying less for a Mustang, less for a Camar, more then likely, and these companies are doing just as bad as Chrysler, yet they offer something unique in their retro muscle cars.

Here's the interior of the camaro. There are some pretty bad parts on this car, the gauges just to point out one out of a few things I see, steering wheel, buttons below the radio, but the overall layout isn't terrible.

http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2008/...maro-inte.html

JJMPB 02-07-2008 03:51 AM

the steering wheel reminds me of my cousins 86 camaro

BootCamp 02-07-2008 03:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Overpowered
Now for nit-picking -

Look at those cheap-ass pedals - I think they could have designed/implemented nice metal/sporty pedals. Dodge must have purchased several hundred million of these design so they have to use them in "every" vehicle they ever build.

Eric

There will be a "machined / metal pedals" option. Just wait and see...... '09 R/T.

JJMPB 02-07-2008 04:09 AM

or you can just go to autozone and buy a fancy set

WhiteHeat 02-07-2008 06:02 AM

Thanks, Axel, for the Camaro interior spy pic. It makes me feel better about the Challenger's interior!

I'm one of the few on this board that thinks the new Camaro looks pretty good, but it can't hold a candle to the Challenger. I think somebody at GM missed the memo that this round of muscle cars is all about retro. The Camaro looks too new.

The one thing I didn't like about the Camaro concept was the hideous interior, and it looks like they haven't done much to improve it.

When I compare the side-by-side interior shots posted in this thread by Justinec101 (see page 4), I realize the difference I'm feeling with the various cars. The Mustang got the interior right, with regards to retro. The Challenger's interior is really nice, but it doesn't look retro, nor does it look like a muscle car. Am I the only one who thinks steering wheel radio controls look as natural on a muscle car as a luggage rack? [:'(]

The Camaro interior looks TOO retro, if that's possible. It also looks a little cobbled together to me. At least they got the three spoke wheel right.

cncpt2prod! 02-07-2008 06:10 AM

That Camaro interior is actually uglier than its exterior...didn't know that was possible.

mopar2ya 02-07-2008 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: WhiteHeat

Am I the only one who thinks steering wheel radio controls look as natural on a muscle car as a luggage rack? [:'(]
Did you mean like this? ;)

[IMG]local://upfiles/748/A62DD46CB68B4F0389164E611EB3FC1B.jpg[/IMG]

Or this? :eek:

[IMG]local://upfiles/748/B3DA0B9F6B1F4418A40065CC3A7A01DC.jpg[/IMG]

Mikesan 02-07-2008 10:21 AM

I'm pretty happy with the interior. Prefer it to my GT500 quite a bit. I'd like to see anoptional $395 performance guage package with a two gauge cluster (oil/volts) above the center air vents in the R/T and SRT and a bit more brushed metal surrounds in future years. Pistol grip shifters will be available aftermarket as will a bunch of billet pieces. Chrysler is in a struggle to survive. I support a bit of parts bin sharing to keep costs down and keep the car affordable.

Litning1 02-07-2008 11:00 AM

I like the interior. The blue-back lighting looks nice! and it has a Tac. As far as it being a Charger rip-off..If they are going to use interior parts from a Charger (something they already have in production), I'm ok with that. It makes sense, it helps keep the cost down, and I'm looking at this car for the performance (6 Speed Manual), and if the interior is a knock off so be it. As someone else posted, you can go to autozone and change yours if need be...

WhiteHeat 02-07-2008 11:24 AM

Did you mean like this? ;)

Oops. Sorry, mopar2ya. Didn't mean to offend! :eek:

Maybe I shoulda said "...look as natural on a muscle car as wood panelling."

(...nervously awaiting image of "Family Truckster R/T"...)

awsure 02-07-2008 01:32 PM

I do not want costs to be ratcheted down to the point where it looks like crap. I'd rather pay more for a CHALLENGER interior.

mopar2ya 02-07-2008 06:24 PM

ORIGINAL: awsure

I do not want costs to be ratcheted down to the point where it looks like crap. I'd rather pay more for a CHALLENGER interior.
Sure there's a cost consideration, but it seems they also had a fairly conservative approach. Face it, when building an interior there is risk that too much flash and bling will turn off a lot of people. That kind of stuff also almost never makes it to production. The conservative approach is probably more likely to appeal to the average Joe, and remain contemporary over time. However, IMHO I do believe the pistol grip and steering wheel could have remained without falling into that "risk" group. Maybe some of the other parts reasonably fell within reasonable marketing and business strategies, for whaever that's worth. Cheers!

kramtrah 02-07-2008 06:34 PM

well said

Justinec101 02-07-2008 06:57 PM

I'm pretty sure the pistol grip will be on the manual, we have already seen spyshots with it. However, I do wish it was on the automatic as well.

mopar2ya 02-07-2008 07:42 PM

Wouldn't that just be an easy bolt on part? Somebody mentioned an interference with the center stack, but I'm not buying that. Why would there be enough of a difference between the two to make it a problem on one and not the other?

Cuda340 02-08-2008 09:18 AM

I just read an interesting perspective about the Challenger interior from a Chrysler engineer in response to complaints about the lack of originality of the interior. He basically stated that in order to get the Challenger into production, existing components from other vehicles (like the Charger) had to be used to eliminate the need for time-consuming testing and recertifications. While there was an obvious savings, cost was not the primary factor in the ultimate design.

The bottom line guys, is that if you do not like the interior, don't blame the bean-counters- it is the Federal Government. :eek:

Axel 02-08-2008 09:21 AM

Whiteheat, I'm not saying that the Camaro is ugly, I'm not saying the Charger is ugly, I like both cars and would probably have had a Charger had they decided to put a stick in the thing, but just because of that I went with the Mustang. What I'm upset about is the fact that they take iconic names and try to cash in on them. The Charger hasn't been a Charger since it was first released and through that era and the same goes for the Camaro. This is not a Camaro and should not carry the name. Neither should have any of the Mustangs that came after 69 and early 70s.

Let me try again with the interior. From what I understand the interior, for the majority of it, is made by an ourside manufacturer correct? So if they make the interior out of the same cheap junk that they have in it now, is there some reason that it would actually cost more? Is there somewhere in the assembly line where this will actually lose them money? Does the company charge them for different molds? Are they going to lose money when they redesign the Charger? I'm asking because I'm not sure how this whole process takes place. Until this bankrupt thing with their plastic parts company, I thought it was all actually made in house.

Cuda340 02-08-2008 09:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Axel

Let me try again with the interior. From what I understand the interior, for the majority of it, is made by an ourside manufacturer correct? So if they make the interior out of the same cheap junk that they have in it now, is there some reason that it would actually cost more? Is there somewhere in the assembly line where this will actually lose them money? Does the company charge them for different molds? Are they going to lose money when they redesign the Charger? I'm asking because I'm not sure how this whole process takes place. Until this bankrupt thing with their plastic parts company, I thought it was all actually made in house.

It's not that simple. See my previous post.

WhiteHeat 02-08-2008 11:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Axel

What I'm upset about is the fact that they take iconic names and try to cash in on them. The Charger hasn't been a Charger since it was first released and through that era and the same goes for the Camaro. This is not a Camaro and should not carry the name. Neither should have any of the Mustangs that came after 69 and early 70s.

I agree with you, Axel. You're talking to a guy who's never had anything BUT wannabees. I bought a '79 "Cobra" new, an '84 "Shelby Charger" new and an '87 "Daytona Shelby" new. Do you think any of my cars earned ANY of those 5 names? Any chance I'll be seeing the '84 or the '87 "Shelbys" at Barrett-Jackson in 20 years? :D

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed all of those cars and, for their time and circumstance, they were all pretty nice. (Well, except for the Mustang, don't get me started...) But they all bore classic monikers they didn't deserve. I'm looking forward to owning a car that lives up to its history!

Axel 02-08-2008 11:37 AM

I just noticed that Cuda, thank you. Kind of even more upsetting. You would think in the two years that they were working on this that they could have done the "certification" process during that time.

No, those cars probably won't ever show up at any bit auction like that, but as you said, they were nice for their time and considering finding anything in the 80s that was nice was terribly hard, I would say that that isn't to bad.

mopar2ya 02-09-2008 12:42 PM

For those who have been following this thread... check out joeyr's new post:

The interior is pre-production. how different will it be (if at all) when it hits dealers?
https://dodgechallenger.com/forums/m_24695/tm.htm

ORIGINAL: joeyr

Alot of the pics (especially the pics of the interior) are preproduction. Says so on the dodge website

Check the link:

http://www.dodge.com/en/2008/challenger/gallery/

look at pics:

Any ideas?

Cuda340 02-10-2008 11:29 AM

I just came from the Philly Auto Show. The photos of the Challenger do not do it justice. The grill and tail-light treatments really add to the retro look.

When you see the car in person, who get a very bad case of Challenger fever and forget all of the little nit-picking things like the guages, rams head emblem, windshield washer nozzles, etc. All you want to do is drive it home! :):)