Notices
Sights N Sounds Post your pics, videos, and sound clips here.

Vanishing Point

Old 06-28-2007, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vanishing Point

http://jalopnik.com/cars/maximum-tri...tro-258422.php

For the love of the car.

http://jalopnik.com/cars/retro/vanis...hhh-236617.php
Old 06-28-2007, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Vanishing Point

I have been hearing rumors of a VP remake for about 2 years now. This is the best evidence that I have heard since Motor Trends interveiw with Barry Newman. He mentions a remake, but you don't know if its what he has heard or wished. If they do remake it, they would do justice to stay with the plot of the first. The photograghy was simply awsome, it was showing the west as large and untamed as it ever was. Spectacular scenery and the intro of a new Mopar. It would serve Dodge well to back just such a film with new cars and equipment and let the director do the rest. It would more than likely be a big hit no doubt. And they should use some of the original music, mixed with some original sounds from today. I hope the rumor gains momentum and we might just see Kowalski ride again. But hey, I'm partial to fast, bad to the bone, butt kicking white Dodge Challengers. VP 71 is my favorite movie, followed real close by Passion of the Christ. I know, I know really far apart, are they not. I have a weakness when the good guy dies at the end. Lets just wait and see.... seems we do alot of that.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno how willing Dodge would be to back a new 'Vanishing Point.' From what I've read, the Chrysler Corp. felt burned by the '71 version (although it probably sold more Challengers for them than all of their advertising put together) because of Kowalski's use of speed (and pot in the scenes deleted from the U.S. version) and having a nude female motorcycle rider in it. You'll notice that despite the HEAVY presence of Chrysler vehicles in the film, the corporation isn't mentioned in the credits. Apparently, they told the filmmakers NOT to include it.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a true statement Roswell. Chrysler was more than a little peeved about the final product. But, yes it did sell more Challengers than all their advertising. But Dodge sees also the same thing we see and know today, that movie scenes are ingrained into our minds. The Challenger is bigger than life, in all the world. Never mind some have 225 6s and 318s in them, when they hear Challenger they think fast, very fast. Look at all the movies that depict the Challenger as the bad to the bone muscle car. I think with the remakes being popular in the old car movies, it would only help to push folks to the dealership. Look at Harley Davidson bikes, they sell image and thats why folks want a Harley over a nice german or japanese bike. Lets see this movie made now by Monday! Whats his hurry, its only Friday.